iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ticks and more ticks

Started by thecfarm, May 28, 2017, 07:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Wife had 4 on her. I found one the other night. Went for a ride,with the dog,walked her,and got 2 ticks on me,from two diffeant places.
With the 5 we have got here,that is more than all of the last 2 years combined.  ??? 
We did not even have them here 6-7 years ago.
Not a good thing to have around.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

they are really bad here  too never had them in the yard till this year so Iv been cutting the grass real short to try and keep them out even the old wood ticks are bad my dogs have had a lot on them the last few weeks

Ox

Growing up 25 years ago I never saw a tick and I was outside all the time around cricks and rivers and woods and such.  Not a one.  Now they're all over us and the animals.  I'm thinking since the winters haven't been as cold and long they're not getting killed back or something like that.  Not good.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Andries

We've  had ticks here for a long time - all part of working or playing outdoors.
What's 'new' bad news, is the Lyme disease that these critters can carry.
Central Canada is one of the hotspots.
So, it's important to find em and send them down the drain at the end of every day.
The upside - I may smell better with that one a day shower.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

red

The Lone Star Tick is causing big problems on the east coast.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Stoneyacrefarm

I walked the dogs around our pond last Saturday.
We had 23 ticks on us.
Never seen this many ever before.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

breederman

It was only a few years ago that i saw my first tick. Now if i go outside without treated clothes i get bit. Pulled the 5th or 6th one this year off me yesterday!
Together we got this !

coxy

they don't seem to like diesel fuel I tried it in the bottom of my pants and sprayed my shoes also

timberking

You just need some fire ants

Ox

That's good to know, coxy.  I have to say if it's not too hot and I'm able to wear my bib overalls I don't get as many as when I'm wearing carpenter jeans with suspenders.  Not sure why.  My bibs I have to roll up the bottoms, maybe that acts like a buffer.

I heard guinea hens will keep their territory bare of ticks and other critters cause they turn their heads and strip the individual grass blades between their beaks.  I wouldn't know - only guinea birds I've ever seen were cooped up and made a hellacious racket when you opened the door.

When we had free range chickens around the ticks were definitely less numerous.  They must get them too.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

coxy

we also had way less bug with our free range chicks to next year ill have more

SwampDonkey

Haven't seen any here, never have really. Only one time I saw a couple wood ticks a few years back, and that was that. Wood ticks was bad down in NS I know.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DDW_OR

near lake Ida in Minnesota back in 2010
at the end of a 2 hour walk i had 32

‎Sunday, ‎July ‎04, ‎2010
this micro Tick

"let the machines do the work"

dgdrls

The mild winters are promoting their spread,
for work I have a one-piece cover-all that is treated with Permethrin
and a little Picardin on the skin
seems to do a good job keeping them away.

dirty buggers, 

D

4x4American

Maybe I will keep the diesel in my lubemizer then..my dog and I will stink like diesel at the end of the day because of the lubemizer and the wind carrying the diesel, but maybe it's not such a bad thing as I haven't found any ticks yet this year on either of us. 
Boy, back in my day..

Crusarius

The future is scary.

More powerful pesticides are being used. The pests are becoming immune to them.

Humans are more and more germaphobic. Using more anti bacterial everything.

Antibiotics are being prescribed for everything. The things the antibiotics are supposed to kill are also becoming immune.

I am seeing the future being very bad for humans.

SwampDonkey

Getting hard to even get new vaccines or curatives. No money in it.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Autocar

We live in ten acres of woods but we have so many critters running around at our place they must pick up all the ticks. I haven't seen any here at home for a number of years. Seven cats out side and I have't seen any of them eather. We have a ton of raccoons and ground hogs so maybe they have them all.
Bill

dirtmotor

here in arkasas we always have a good tick crop if it wasn't for them and the poison ivy we couldn't claim the farm credit  :D :D

Briankinley2004

Been bad here too. Got one embedded in my back this am. I decided to bathe instead of shower tonight. The ole testiculo was itching and guess what. Seed tick embedded. Glad my children are grown

Woodcutter_Mo

Ticks are really bad around here right now too. A couple days ago I parked my 4 wheeler in the shade under a pine tree. A couple hours later I went back to the 4 wheeler and seen a couple crawling on the fender. I got to looking more and found around 50 just on the 4 wheeler  :o. I think they may have been falling out of the pine tree  ???
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

coxy

my 10 year old had one in her neck good thing my wife has glasses  cause I never seen that tiny thing  >:(   they gave her liquid to take and told us the sun wont bother her and she was allowed to have ice cream  ???  >:( >:( >:(  I really like ice cream  ;D I asked the doc if I could stop taking my doxy in pill form and take the liquid  she told me to suck it up  ::) :D wasn't bad as we haven't had any sun in weeks but now its going to be in the 80s now that I'm taking it  they have a cedar spray that is supposed to be the best thing for the ticks anyone using/heard of it 

drobertson

Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on June 07, 2017, 11:37:38 PM
Ticks are really bad around here right now too. A couple days ago I parked my 4 wheeler in the shade under a pine tree. A couple hours later I went back to the 4 wheeler and seen a couple crawling on the fender. I got to looking more and found around 50 just on the 4 wheeler  :o. I think they may have been falling out of the pine tree  ???

I'm pretty sure they do fall from trees,  we had a large pine in grandpa's yard growing up, and even with all the chickens, guineas, peacocks, and the rest, they seemed to always fall from that ole tree,  that said I read somewhere that warm winters don't mean a worse tick season to follow, but in either case, they are out in force here as well,  the new illness that comes from some of them mainly up north seems to be a bad recipe, I think reports are that infections can occur within 15 min?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sprucebunny

I'm getting kind of paranoid about ticks.
Looking at my bunny friends doesn't help. This guy kept hopping towards me until he was only 6-7 feet away. Maybe he wanted help as he had to stop and scratch about every other hop.

But I saw a moose this spring that didn't seem to have any so that's good.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

The moose will most often have mites that give them a tough time.

Thank You Sponsors!