iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Interior door plans

Started by Patty, October 05, 2004, 01:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shopteacher

Man she's a beauty. ;D The door's pretty nice to. :D Your a lucky feller Norm. :)
  What kind of wood did you use Patty?
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Norm

I wanted to add that the door is made from the wood of the log that is in Patty's profile picture. It was an old red oak that was well past it's prime that a wind storm blew the upper half off. I'm not allowed to cut any red oaks near our house but was given an exception for this one.  ;D

Fla._Deadheader

The pic was dark on my screen, so, I copy and pasted it, to lighten it.

That is one fine looking door, Patty.  Nice job.  

I was gonna wait until it was finished, but, I just had to comment early.  ;) ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

etat

Been keeping up with but havn't commented on this whole thread.  Mostly just cause I felt in the end it'd come out all right and I don't know enough about making doors to give advice.

That's a really nice door.  Congragulations.  :)

I've got some poplar drying in the attic I'm gonna make some saloon doors out of one of these days. Maybe this winter.  I only hope they turn out so well.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

beenthere

I agree with shopteacher.  Great looking door.  8)
Also, lightened up the picture some, and will post it (don't want to miss anything  :)  )

Norm, can you buy Patty some shoes?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Patty

You can kinda see around the raised panals where I put the finish on, that is why they are kind of darker around the edges. Great advice from shopteacher, by the way.

You guys are too nice. Nobody is more suprised than I am that it turned out ok.  :D

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Norm

You guys need to get new monitors...heck I got a tan from the one beenthere posted. :D

jgoodhart

Your door realy turned out nice 8) how many more are you going to build.

ohsoloco

Sweet door, Patty  8)  I'm hoping to make my own doors to replace all of the cheap hollow core doors in my house.  This thread has definitely got my mind workin'.  

Patty

I think I counted 10 more doors to go, for the house, j. I refuse to use those ugly plastic doors any more. Out of desparation we put one on our bedroom, and one on the bathroom, but they will be removed as soon as I get the new ones done.

At the office I need to build a replacement door for the front entryway and one to replace the hollow core door that one of our boys put a hole through. (Gosh, mom, I don't know how that hole got in the door!)::)

I told Norm I need a shaper for Christmas so I can finish the doors at home.  :)  I figure it is a good investment.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Captain

Nice Job Patty!!

[size=10] :)[/size]

Larry

I like your door Patty.  Besides making doors your making memories. 8)

While ya got the Christmas wish list out add on a stock feeder.  It will make that shaper much safer, more precise, and just a lot more fun to use.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Paschale

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Patty

I want to bring this back up because Larry made a great suggestion that I looked into a little deeper. He suggested a stock feeder for the shaper I hope to get for Christmas. (hint  ;))  Fine Woodworking has an article in this months edition, that features the quick-stop table saw. What a GREAT idea. I can't find one single finger on either hand that I am willling to sacrifice for any amount of money. The US manufacturers had feeble excuses for not going to the quick stop design, such as it would cost too much to retool their manufacturing equipment. Personally I think they have it backwords. I can't think that I am the only person who puts great value on all 10 of my fingers, and I think most folks would pay for that added feature of a quick stop.
Now back to the stock feeder. Since all tools don't have the quick stop feature...none that we own....the power feeder is a great idea. For a few hundred bucks, I keep all my fingers, I am not so scared to try new projects, I'm more prone to use the tools more often, because the fear factor is eliminated.
Norm has shown me the power feeders on line, and I think the ones that can fit on all the tools...from the table saw to the shaper are a great idea.
Thanks for the suggestion, Larry.  ;)
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

ElectricAl

Patty,

Great door !!!!!!  8)

I missed most of your post because of my day job. :-/

Had to swing by and check out what the neighbor is up to. ;D

Been so foggy and rainy I can't quit see ya. ::)

Your house is going to be incredible when it's done.  ;)

Al  
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

shopteacher

I'd stay away from the one's known as baby feeders. We have a Sunhill at school and I've had to repair it several times (mostly from student abuse).  It's been down since last year with a broken plastic drive gear. :(  Delta has the same one, 1/8 hp sells for about 250.00. I have a 1/4 hp Grizzly at home that has done a good job with no trouble.  Of course how you treat your equipment is a determining factor and as you might guess, students aren't always the easiest users or is that abusers? :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Patty

I've looked at the 1/4 hp grizzely...it isn't bad. What I want is one I can move around and attach to any equipment in the shop, especially the tablesaw and the shaper.
Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Hey Al,

Thanks for the kind words.  ;)    Don't ya' just hate it when the day job gets in the way of fun! I have 3 coats of poly on the door now, and will sand it lightly today, for the final coat in the morning. We got the jams cut yesterday, and they are waiting for me to sand them also today. I found the hard ware I need online, and will try to get it ordered tomorrow...man they sure don't give that stuff away. I want ballbearring ?? hinges, 4 of the 4" ones from Baldwin will hold the weight for sure. I used 4 of their 5" hinges on the front door, and they are holding up just fine.  Did Linda get the dining table finished yet? Thanksgiving is quickly approaching!

Did you happen to catch the football game yesterday! All of the Iowa teams won!  8)    The win over Wisconsin was especially sweet, I have several relatives there that are fun to harrass.  ;D    This gave me another opportunity to do so.  ;D
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Norm

Here's the one I was showing Patty, has anybody ever used one before?

PowerFeeder

ElectricAl

Patty,

Linda was able to get three coats of finish on before a suprise birthday party happened. It received a little damage so after Thanksgiving it will get a few more coats.

A shaper with a power feed would be a good investment. Considering you have 18 more to do :o

Have fun ;D

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

sawduster12

Patty,

How did the finished door turn out?

Did you have any problems with warping? I'm looking to do interior doors and have been told that solid stiles will warp over time. It was suggested that the stiles be made up from 3/16" faces with a 1" core. This helps prevent warping.

The door looks great in the picture.

Thanks

Patty

Sawduster12,

The door is holding up just fine. In fact it is beautiful, thanks to all the excellent advice I got from my FF buddies.  :)

Funny you should bring this up a year later. We tore down our shop shortly after building the door, and all the woodworking equipment and projects got put on hold. We put our day-job office in the old woodworking shop.

Just yesterday they finished pooring cement for our new  shop  8) 8). We can't wait to get the equipment set up again, and get back to all our projects that have been on hold.

Ahhhh yes, in no time we'll be watching tight ends, I mean football,  and making doors in our new shop!  smiley_smash

Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

sawduster12

Thanks Patty,

Found your discussion from a search.

Good luck with your new shop

Dan_Shade

bringing one back from the dead :)

I need a few doors for my house, and since I have piles of lumber, I think i'll tackle making a door.

Patty, did you use mortise and tennons, or rely on the glue joint of the styles to hold the door together?

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Norm

I'm not sure when Patty would see this Dan so I'll answer for her. We ended up using stacked biscuits instead of m&t or edge glued. We never had a joint fail.

On the other hand the finish did not hold up well even though this was a north facing door. Just this year we replaced it with a commercial one made by Pella. Much of our problem is the winters are so hard on the north facing side of our house. We had lots of problems with wind driven rain and snow.

Dan_Shade

you used it as an exterior door?

When you say "stacked biscuit", what do you mean?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!