iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Glory!  Kids, I love'm

Started by Tom, June 26, 2003, 05:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

This afternoon about 3:30 I was hurrying back to the mill with the repaired hydraulic motor that broke yesterday and down the road of an urban street I was on, I saw a gaggle of kids that had just been turned out of a church bus.  Slowing, even though I was a block away, I was studying them real close to make sure I didn't jeopardize one.  

They stopped running down the middle of the street (about 8 or 10 of them) and huddled to the side next to a power pole.  As I got closer I realized that they had gotten into someone's refuse at the side of the road and had gotten an old tire to roll.   That had occupied 2 of them and the rest were tugging and pulling to get a couple of more old tires out of the pile.  

They were all laughing and joking around, jumping up and down, dancing and just generally having a good old time.  

I've not seen kids be so happy in years. Seldom, anymore, do they entertain themselves with a toy as simple as a tire.  It reminded me of myself as pre-teen and I couldn't help but smile.

My bad day melted away and I've had a good feeling inside all evening. :)  

Norm

Ya know some people see the worst in things and others see the best.

Glad it changed your day Tom.

Jeff

This thread is now back to what it should be. Sorry about that interuption Tom. Thanks for your post too Norm. Everything between your two posts just went away because a good day should stay a good day. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

dail_h

Dad brought a used tractor tire home once when I was a kid.we had the best time with it,we'd pull the sidewalls open some,one of us would get inside,then be rolled downhill.Woo, what fun,I hadn't thought about that in years.
   Thanks Tom
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Tom

chet

Norm_F your comment really hits home with me tonight. Earlier this evening we got a knock on our door from three young men about 16 or 17. They had hit a dog, and wanted to let us know in case it was ours.
I am extremely sad to have lost my beagle of 12 years, but at the same time I feel very good that these gentlemen were kind enough to stop. Thank You Gentlemen!
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

CHARLIE

Chet, I'm terribly sorry to hear of the loss of your beagle. I'm sure it was family.  That's a tough loss.  Please accept my condolances.

When I was a young'un, my granddaddy brought home a tractor innertube.  We all played on that for hours and hours.  Jumping on it like a trampoline.That big valve stem sure hurt though.  We would all have scrapes on our bellies from it.  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Norm

I've had the pleasure of having two beagles in my life both were great friends but when they were on the trail they would see nothing else. Both were hit by cars and nobody cared enough to stop. Sorry for your loss Chet but it is nice to hear these young men cared enough to stop.

We had a big tractor tire hung off a tree limb that we played on as kids, great fun and didn't cost a dime to ride. :)

Bibbyman

Our two granddaughters have enough toys to fill their room and fill the porch too.  But the thing they play with the most are cutoff blocks from the mill.  They'll spend endless hours arranging them, stacking them, and building houses, filling their wagon and pulling them around, etc.  

Give then a wide mouth plastic drink bottle and they fill it with all kind of pretty rocks, sticks, bugs,  small toys - then dump them out and fill them again.

Bibbygirls - taken about a year ago.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

inspectorwoody

Glad to hear all the positive comments in regards to the youth of today along with some right close to my generation. Seems these days people don't have too many nice things to say about us young folk. Sure feels good to hear guys. Thanks!  ;)

Gadget

Mark M

Charlie, when you mentioned that inner-tube I immediately thought of when I was a kid and we played with one down at the lake. We too got scratched by that darned valve stem. When we were wet the horse flies bit us as soon as we tried to climb up on the tube - DanG that hurt! That was almost 40 years ago and I had forgot about it until your message  :)

Mark

Captain

Our 3 1/2 year old has some interesting toys, none of which I had around as a child.  We would have to go to the John Deere store to sit on tractors or to the fire department to climb in the trucks, but he has them here....

His favorite "toys" lately are.....
1) My wife's buggy whip she uses for horse training (he goes "fishing" in mud puddles)
2) Keys, ANY keys.  This is becoming a problem, as I don't know where my keys are RIGHT NOW.
3) My hand tools, particularly screwdrivers.  I can' t find most of them either.
4) Wood scraps and stickers.

The emotion when you try to recover items 1-3 is pretty dramatic.

Captain

CHARLIE

Captain, that reminded me that brother Tom and I made some bows and shot all of our mother's artist brushes into the backyard. We also made slingshots and shot my Uncle's antique clay marble collection (a huge jar full) into the backyard. I hear he was pretty miffed about that. I was always the sweet little boy and it was brother Tom that thought up all this devilish stuff.  I trusted him to lead me down the path of righteousness cause I was just a youngun' and didn't know any better. ;D

I think adults can be childrens biggest obstacle to imagination. Adults organize sporting events for the children to play (baseball, football, soccer, etc) instead of letting the children set up their own "pick up" games. Around here, I've even seen children with electronic motorcycles and cars. They don't even have to peddle anymore. Sheeesh!!!! ::)  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

jwood

my grandsons..6 and 3 ..would rather play with the box the toys came in than the toy .one night couple months back we were in the family room that over looks the river the older one sees a little flashin lite ..i got a plastic peanut butter jar and introduced him to catchin lightin bugs..he sat at the kitchen table for the longest time just watchin them in the jar then he turned them loose ..said he wanted to catchem  again  later..you can give the two of them a couple buckets an a garden hose an they'll stay busy for hours

Tom

Our favorite Christmas present was a length of 1" rope under the tree.  It seems it must have been 15 or 20 feet long because after playing with it for a week or so, we replaced our tree swing(s) with it and then played with the old rope until it disintegrated. :D

Ah-h the memories. :)

hawby

My best friend's dad gave me and Paul a crescent wrench and some fishin' line. He told us to toss it out into the road and when somebody sees it and stops, to reel it off to the ditch. We hid in a culvert and it was the hardest thing to do to keep from laughing. :D

I won't teach my kids/grandkids that one. In this day you never know how someone will react to such a mischeveous prank.

Sorry about the Beagle. I can't count the number of pets I have lost to our road. It always hurts.

hawby
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

Bibbyman

We were invited to a Christmas party on Mary's side of the family.  Mary niece was about 3 that Christmas.  I had some odd and end red cedar I ripped down into strips 1"x 1-1/2" and 2".  Then ran them through the planner.  I set up the radial arm saw and cut them into blocks at 90, 45 and 30 degrees – varying lengths.   I made a two-gallon bucket full.  

We got there and everyone opened their gifts.  Mary's niece must have gotten enough toys to make the stock of Toys-R-Us go up.  She a whole kitchen setup and a playhouse and a dozen dolls and on and on.  

After all the paper was cleared,  she pushed them all back under the trees so she'd have room to play with her blocks.
Sawing since '94

Norm

We were talking with our two sons recently on what some of their favorite toys were growing up and both said the blocks grandpa made for us. I think I'll use Bibby's idea and make up a few sets to donate this X'mas.

Bro. Noble

I'll bet if a guy used a bunch of different kinds of wood including some that are a little unusual,  you would have a hard time keeping some of the big kids from playing with them. :D

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Bibbyman

Mary was sawing this morning and I was pulling boards.  She pulled me over to get the camera.

Alex and been wanting a BIG box and been after her dad to bring her one home.  (His job is boxing a crating odd items and un-boxing and un-crating odd items the regular movers don't want to handle.)  He keeps failing so I gave her this box to play with.  Makes for a snug home. :D

Sawing since '94

dail_h

That picture of the little kid in the box reminded me of Sarah,my oldest,upcoming senior at Oral Roberts U. When she was about two and a half,I brought home a rang box to use for a woodbox,It was lunchtime,so I stuck it in the livingroom while we ate .Sarah finished first ,and went off to play,when we looked,she had moved her stuff into the box,and drawn a door and window on it.It stayed in the livingroom for about two years,
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Thank You Sponsors!