iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Leveling processor vs standard track processor

Started by quilbilly, December 18, 2017, 08:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quilbilly

I've been looking at processors and like the idea of a leveling tracked processor like an old timbco or timberpro over a processing head on a log loader. I was just thinking of more versatility and maybe with the leveling a bit more comfortable. Has anyone run both and have a strong opinion? I see a lot of the more affordable ones run valmet heads? Also is a squirt boom necessary? Oh and just to prevent the suggestion, wheel harvesters out here, PNW, are about twice the cost of the others.
a man is strongest on his knees

Skeans1

Quote from: quilbilly on December 18, 2017, 08:13:35 PM
I've been looking at processors and like the idea of a leveling tracked processor like an old timbco or timberpro over a processing head on a log loader. I was just thinking of more versatility and maybe with the leveling a bit more comfortable. Has anyone run both and have a strong opinion? I see a lot of the more affordable ones run valmet heads? Also is a squirt boom necessary? Oh and just to prevent the suggestion, wheel harvesters out here, PNW, are about twice the cost of the others.
My first question is would this just be a landing machine or are you planning on doing using it as a harvester?
Levelers are nice but do you have any weight limiting factors? Width?
When you say Timbco or Timberpro are you thinking 445 or 425, 725 or 735?

kiko

Packing those leveling cylinders presents an unusual situation.

Riwaka

All processing machines are expensive and the older ones have often just broken down, about to break down or due maintenance etc.

The climbmax tether machine people (non levelling base) say when you get over a certain steepness it does not matter if you have a levelling base or not, non levelling for the climbmax( to fit the winch equipment) was preferred because of the lower center of gravity and  it was more important to have like a race car seat and full harness over both shoulders seat belts.

I'm a bit wary of the old Timbco's, I recall seeing a burnt one - google 'parked up Timbco' on google images to see unloved examples.
I would wonder if there are better 'cost effective' used John Deere tracked machines around.

JD909KH with waratah 623C  (angles of base)
https://youtu.be/3dFyQsHP1hM

mike_belben

Ive not ever run a processor or log loader but i have run excavator with demo shear.  The turntable, slew, swing, rotec.. Whatever you wanna call it is by far the weakest hydraulic function because all the others use linear stroke hydraulic cylinders with tremendous force.  The swing is a hydraulic motor turning a pinion on a circular rack and its "piston area" is much smaller for the fluid to act against.  It is much easier to break than a cylinder too, and if you do manage to break one on a slope, youre going for a ride.

If youve got the whole nonlevelling cab on a steep slope then the slew has to use much of its capacity just to push the boom and stick uphill against gravity.  Its gonna have that much less capacity for dragging wood uphill.  I suspect the slew motor, pinion and slew gear have a really hard life in a steep slope harvester and would hate to try raising a carbody in the woods to change one.  I imagine the bigger the timber, the more important it is to have the rotec bearing horizontal in order to preserve all that force for swinging the timber.
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Quote from: mike_belben on December 19, 2017, 08:30:14 AM
Ive not ever run a processor or log loader but i have run excavator with demo shear.  The turntable, slew, swing, rotec.. Whatever you wanna call it is by far the weakest hydraulic function because all thothers use linear stroke hydraulic cylinders with tremendous force.  The swing is a hydraulic motor turning a pinion on a circular rack.  It is much easier to break that a cylinder and if you do manage to break one youre going for a ride.

If youve got the whole nonlevelling cab on a steep slope then the slew has to use much of its capacity just to push the boom and stick uphill against gravity.  Its gonna have that much less capacity for dragging wood uphill.  I suspect the slew motor, pinion and slew gear have a really hard life in a steep slope harvester and would hate to try raising a carbody in the woods to change one.  I imagine the bigger the timber, the more important it is to have the rotec bearing horizontal in order to preserve all that force for swinging the timber.
We've done it without a leveler for a lot of year normally you cut walking up hill for that reason of swing power, but typically a purpose built machine has a lot more seeing then say an excavator does just for that reason.

quilbilly

I mostly see timbco in my area however am not necessarily brand loyal. We would be about %80 landing and 20 woods, but could see that pick up with a processing head on a small buncher like a 425 timbco. I was more wondering about parts availability and wear and tear, I definitely understand older equip means more down time, but I'd rather have that than 10-15k a month on a new machine.

Skeans1

Quote from: quilbilly on December 20, 2017, 01:52:36 AM
I mostly see timbco in my area however am not necessarily brand loyal. We would be about %80 landing and 20 woods, but could see that pick up with a processing head on a small buncher like a 425 timbco. I was more wondering about parts availability and wear and tear, I definitely understand older equip means more down time, but I'd rather have that than 10-15k a month on a new machine.
To answer your other question is a squirt needed for what you'll be doing from the sounds of it no, but here's the flip side you normally gain 4 feet of reach with one. For a landing machine you don't need a leveler but it'd be like having a cab riser from day one here's the down side of a leveler the operator can get cocky easier. Parts I'm not sure on but any older machine you run that risk of parts not being available if it's like cat or Deere it's the 10 year rule. You might look on Ponsse's site they had a used little 415 with low hours set up pretty nice for under 100k.
http://www.ponsse.com/used-machines/timbco-415

BargeMonkey

I have a 99 425D, no issues so far on parts, final drives are expensive. If I was going to buy another buncher I would go with a 445 chassis because of the GFT 80 finals over a GFT 60. I've been debating buying a non leveling processor with a dangle head to run behind my Timbco, honestly having the cab that levels is huge, I go some places that a skidder won't touch. Open the door every once in a while to take a leak and realize your on some serious ground.
Timbco, Valmet and Timberpro all take the same final as of a few yrs ago, timberpro and Timbco are still basically the same chassis. Do not buy an older Timbco with the cat inboard finals, they are the ones to avoid. There was a decent 445C with a big Keto head for sale for like 45k ? Out your way recently.

Skeans1

Quote from: BargeMonkey on December 20, 2017, 12:54:32 PM
I have a 99 425D, no issues so far on parts, final drives are expensive. If I was going to buy another buncher I would go with a 445 chassis because of the GFT 80 finals over a GFT 60. I've been debating buying a non leveling processor with a dangle head to run behind my Timbco, honestly having the cab that levels is huge, I go some places that a skidder won't touch. Open the door every once in a while to take a leak and realize your on some serious ground.
Timbco, Valmet and Timberpro all take the same final as of a few yrs ago, timberpro and Timbco are still basically the same chassis. Do not buy an older Timbco with the cat inboard finals, they are the ones to avoid. There was a decent 445C with a big Keto head for sale for like 45k ? Out your way recently.
Wonder how they compare to the tigercat 830 I know you see a lot of them out here anymore at least on company ground.

snowstorm

keto makes good stuff. i have 2. and the best tech is rite there in longview

quilbilly

I see them come up periodically, I think there are still two up, one 425 and another a valmet 500t. Both with valmet 965 heads. They are the two in my price range I've seen recently, however it seems that there is always one or two out there for sale in the PNW

1270d

We found out that the balance is definitely different on the 725 timber pro vs the 425 timbco.    Much more nose heavy on the 725.   

The 830 tigercat, at least the leveling one is a whole bunch heavier than the timbcos. 

Skeans1

One issue with Keto out here is the tracks on our alder they're not allowed to be used because of staining or any spike wheels for that matter.

A 500T the boom I've been told can be an issue for hoses after some hours, the 425 that's listed out here isn't horrible but you never know till you're up next to it plus you won't have full 360 rotation of the upper half of the machine.

Skeans1

The 830 is also a bit bigger for the leveling setup from seeing them at the show last year. I know the majority of the tethering machines are tigercat, one climbmax, one Deere, a couple Ponsse's, and one or Timberpro machines I know they guys say they're built heavy but I've never ran one.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Skeans1 on December 20, 2017, 10:25:56 PM
One issue with Keto out here is the tracks on our alder they're not allowed to be used because of staining or any spike wheels for that matter.

A 500T the boom I've been told can be an issue for hoses after some hours, the 425 that's listed out here isn't horrible but you never know till you're up next to it plus you won't have full 360 rotation of the upper half of the machine.
My Timbco is only 540, it's not bad as long as you remember when you've made a full swing around.

quilbilly

,360 is nice but not necessary, also the 5000 log max is probably a bit small. Where would one even find service for a neuson? I love German engineering but I would think parts would be hard to find. That does look like a neat little machine though.

Skeans1

I've watched a guy with a 5000 logmax cut stuff and delimb fir out here bigger then you'd think, the machine is a Deere engine, Parker hydraulics so it's no issues better then a Timbco to be honest.

quilbilly

Really? How big are we talking? I think the specs on a log max 5000 is around 20-22 inches. Which means with DF bark like 18-19. Or so. That would be the absolute smallest. There are ways around it of course and it would have been really nice on our current job. Do you know anyone who has used one? Also since it's a 2003 I'm sure it's much nicer than a 90's timbco.

Skeans1

Quote from: quilbilly on December 23, 2017, 11:26:28 AM
Really? How big are we talking? I think the specs on a log max 5000 is around 20-22 inches. Which means with DF bark like 18-19. Or so. That would be the absolute smallest. There are ways around it of course and it would have been really nice on our current job. Do you know anyone who has used one? Also since it's a 2003 I'm sure it's much nicer than a 90's timbco.
There's a few models of the Neuson machines that's the middle of the road in the terms of size, the big one will run a 7000 size head. One of the main bonuses to that machine is you can suck the head all the way inside the track frames for turning also it'll have more reach. A 5000 can cut larger double cutting the tree, delimbing you can walk the head down the log for measurement. Right now we have a 96 JD 653E before we bought it we looked into a Timbco 415 & 425 which at the time we were told the pumps weren't lasting as long with their Linde pumps.

Thank You Sponsors!