iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spalted maple table

Started by 21incher, December 01, 2013, 11:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Here is a table I built using some spalted maple cut from my yard. The base was made of cherry, but it did not go well with the maple so I painted it black. I had many large planks but they cupped and twisted while drying so it is only good for small projects.

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

WDH

Perfect spalt.  Very beautiful table. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Your talents combined with Mother Nature are dangerous!  :D

BEAUTIFUL!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thecfarm

The black makes your eyes enjoy the table top that much more.Good idea!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

21incher

Thanks everyone. I had the spalted log and some others sawn by a local sawyer with a Woodmizer about 4 years ago and when I saw the beautiful spalting in the lumber as it came off his mill I said to myself that someday I will own a mill to allow me to look inside of logs for unique pieces of lumber. It is funny how small events can influence your future.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

mmartone

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Farmerjw

Those black legs just enhance and compliment the table top.  Man that is one top notch table, the only thing that would be better, another one for the other side of the couch or chair!!!! 8)
Premier Bovine Scatologist

jamesamd

Words fail Me,Gahhhhhha.
I'll take 2.  ;D

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

ron barnes

ET

Absolutely a fine job.  Your layout of the spalt is perfect!  What did you seal it with or what finish did you use?  Ernie
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Axe Handle Hound

I agree that the black base really sets off the spalt lines in the top.  Very nicely done.  How did you attach the legs to the center post?  Sliding dovetails?

m wood

oh man, nice piece of maple and nice work indeed.  I say the same about the black base, looks great together.  I can see why you said, and I have said the same in the past, about why some boards prompted me to become a mill owner.
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

21incher

Quote from: Farmerjw on December 02, 2013, 10:43:22 PM
Those black legs just enhance and compliment the table top.  Man that is one top notch table, the only thing that would be better, another one for the other side of the couch or chair!!!! 8)
I already built a set of end tables and a coffee table with figured cherry walnut & ash so one was enough.

21incher

Quote from: Axe Handle Hound on December 03, 2013, 12:21:39 PM
I agree that the black base really sets off the spalt lines in the top.  Very nicely done.  How did you attach the legs to the center post?  Sliding dovetails?
They were attached with sliding dovetails from the bottom plus epoxy cement because they were a little loose.

21incher

Quote from: ET on December 03, 2013, 09:57:38 AM
Absolutely a fine job.  Your layout of the spalt is perfect!  What did you seal it with or what finish did you use?  Ernie
I wound up using 3 coats of polyurethane on all sides that helped to flatten the grain and smooth it out. The wood was so unstable that I was afraid to use oil on it.

Red Good

Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

Thank You Sponsors!