iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Restoring Old Handplane

Started by 123maxbars, February 06, 2016, 01:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

First of two videos that I am posting today that show how I take and old stanley no 4 and turn it into something that can be used.
I am no professional tool restoration guy, but I get them back to a good usable condition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKLfTj0kN0E
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Andy White

123maxbars,
Excellent video tutorial. Just the way it needs to be done. Only one thing that caught my eye, please use a plane screwdriver for removing the chip breaker. J have seen many good planes with a chipped cap iron from this practice. Keep up the good work, and post more of this.    Thanks,    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

123maxbars

Quote from: Andy White on February 06, 2016, 06:16:38 PM
123maxbars,
Excellent video tutorial. Just the way it needs to be done. Only one thing that caught my eye, please use a plane screwdriver for removing the chip breaker. J have seen many good planes with a chipped cap iron from this practice. Keep up the good work, and post more of this.    Thanks,    Andy

thanks,
I would say you are right, bad habit I have gotten into. Thanks for watching
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

123maxbars

This is part two of my restoration video. Final video in this process. Thought you people on here would enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj6eTdNm9X8
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Kbeitz

plane screwdriver ?

They have one just for planes ?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Andy White

Kbeitz,
I have seen them used before, but I don't have one. It is really wide with a thick blade and a short handle. I use my widest Stanley flat blade.        Amdi
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

woodworker9

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 06, 2016, 09:16:02 PM
plane screwdriver ?

They have one just for planes ?

Actually, you can buy a set of 9 screwdrivers specifically designed and sized to properly fit plane and hand saw screws.  All the different screws have different sized slots, and you don't want to bugger them up, as Andy already said.

Lie Nielsen makes a full set.  I own it.....bought it 20 years ago.  If you use hand tools a lot, and I do, you can bugger up the different screw heads pretty easily with daily use.  You can always make your own if you don't want to shell out the dough.....
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

samandothers

123maxbars

outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Al_Smith

Nice .A comment! A properly sharpened and adjusted hand plane is a pleasure to use .Just the sound of cutting .An improperly adjusted and sharpened example is a miserable experience .

Thank You Sponsors!