iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Live Edge Table --- Base Design Ideas --- Please Help

Started by OffGrid973, June 03, 2016, 10:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OffGrid973

Hi Team,

I have a few table tops complete and now looking for a repeatable design for the bottom support.  Played around with simple mortise and tenon design and now wondering tapered legs, maybe smaller rails, just not sure.

Any inspiration out there with pics from past projects or ideas found on the web?  The woodmizer table from a few months back that our forum member had was nice, but the strength of those legs concerns me when they get too small.

Please help me finish these projects so I can start the other Great Ideas :)

Thanks,
-Chris

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Ianab

Thought about this style?

I think it works well with a live edge top. You can get fancier with curves and angles on the feet and uprights if you are so inclined.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

OffGrid973

That doesn't take up to much real estate on the floor either, nice design and easy to vacuum around.  Is it top heavy at all?
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Ianab

QuoteIs it top heavy at all?

Nope, nice and stable. The ends of the "feet" are in about the same place as the legs on a conventional table, so it has a nice wide footprint.

The table also breaks down for transport with a few screws and knocking out the wooden pegs on the lower stringer.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Bark Beetle

The trestle table that lanab showed looks good and they are strong. It isn't a table but it is the same base for my spring pole lathe.

You don't work wood, you work with wood.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Small tapered legs can look nice if everything is in proportion.
You said you are concerned when they get to small. What are your plans to display on a small tapered leg table?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Here is a simple base design using all 1" lumber.  The legs are three pieces glued up with two end stretchers and one center stretcher.  The end stretcher is a through tenon that you can cut flush or leave it proud and chamfer it.  You create the mortise slot in the legs when you glue up the three pieces.  The aprons are joined to the legs with mortise and tenon joints, and the joint is glued and pegged.  The legs are tapered below the end stretchers. 

This table has a live edge top, and I created a wavy, flowing design on the aprons to give them that live edged look, too.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OffGrid973

Nice idea on the apron, I think that is going to help since the straight lines were all killing me.

Thanks team, more ideas are definitely welcome.

-Chris
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Thank You Sponsors!