iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ruptured hydraulic hose.

Started by Magicman, August 11, 2009, 08:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

While sawing Saturday morning, a hydraulic hose blew.  Examination showed that two hoses were rubbing together and had simply worn through.  There was another hose rubbing on the axle.  I replaced the ruptured hose and another which was badly worn.  Today I got some spiral guard and wraped all of the hoses.  No more rubbing..... ;D

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

Good looking wrap...Where you get it?   I have just been buying heater hose and splitting it and then putting a little electrical tape on to hold it in place....Any hyd mill that has very many hrs on it would be wise to give an inspection and protect the rubs....good post...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

I should have added that....electrical supply store.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

A rubbing hose is like a metal to metal on your brakes, once it starts it dose not take long to wear thru. If you can realign the hose so that it dose not rub at all that is your best option but sometimes they are going to rub no mater how you position them. What you put on yours is what we used in the big mill in areas like under the charger where the hoses were moving all the time. It will still rub thru over time but will greatly extend the life of the hoses. When you replace a hose, replace it with the heavy steel reinforced type and that will help in a rubbing situation. The stuff that was on my mill when I bought it was the cheap all plastic stuff that had no wear life to it, and none of the local hydraulic shops carried the sleeves for crimping them. Therefore, when I had the fire that melted all my hoses clean off, I upgraded to a good quality hose that is the standard in the big mills and have not had any problems since.
Take care of your hoses and inspect them on a regular basis, and always clear any debris from around them before moving the mill. This will save your fittings as well. Nothing like a stick twisting a fitting around as it catches when the mill is moved.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

Yes, I did some rearranging to prevent abraision.  Also the replacement hoses were rubber coated and had double wire webbing inside.  The next step will be to replace the ones that go all of the way to the hydraulic control/pump box.  Some of them have split plastic jackets and rust on the webbing.... :(

backwoods sawyer

When you go to do that be prepaired to pull the mill halfway apart. After the fire I replaced all of the hoses and that tube is not designed for the larger hoses. They all fit except for one, and I was able to get it thru a different hole then under the bed rail to the next section. I ran new wires to the brakes and lights while I had it all apart. The bolts that go thru the tube will have to be removed so that the hoses will lay in there the way they should. Not a job that you want to do on short notice. However I am glad that I have all new hoses.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

Looked like it would be a "real pill".  That's why I wrapped them and am hoping for the best.  The best being they won't rupture.  Funny how when something is hidden, it isn't a problem..... ;D

Thank You Sponsors!