iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OK- here it Tiz... Before

Started by jpgreen, February 06, 2006, 12:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpgreen

Here's "Ellwood"... the before pictures of my Wood-Mizer LT40hd as I start work on him today.

I bought him used, and I'll be rewiring, doing an engine swap, and adding many new parts.

I'm going to be taking pics of my progress, and probably will need help and be asking lots of questions to the LT40 experts here on the FF..  :) 8) :) :)

This is lumber I milled with my Husky 3120 and my Woodbug sawmill.  It's smooth to the touch, and dead on dimention and square. This is my rougher chain also.  I can get even a smoother cut.

It's all setting on my new 26' x 28' woodshop slab that's ready and waiting for construction.  Ellwood's here just in time to help finish the lumber I need to git-her-done... smiley_beertoast

Note from Admin
Sorry JP but again,the pics have to be uploaded to the Forum and must be resized below 20K. I hope you can get them into your gallery and posted again.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

DoubleD

Wannabe a sawmiller

Weekend_Sawyer

Wow, that's a heck of a step up from a Chainsawmill to a Lt40Hd.

What is wrong with the current engine?

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

GF

I would like to see a video of it cutting with that Kawasaki on it.

jpgreen

Thanks DoubleD... I love Olio Olive, and want to go to Italy some day..  8)

Jon-

The engine runs but not to well. Fired it up and runs like a rattle trap.  Definitely firing hotter one cyl more than the other. It may just need a tuneup, but for what I paid for the mill I wanted a new engine. I was going to buy a new Peterson, and decided to bring this one up running like a new machine.  Then I'll get a Peterson (someday)..  ;D

Gary-

Don't have a video camera. Maybe someone I know does, and will shoot it running.  I'll let you know how she does.

jpgreen

RUHT ROH-

I see the admin note above.  I'm having trouble getting my pics down to such a low  (22k) size.

Paul_H

JP,
do you have xat? I see you have a few pics in your gallery already.Keep trying and if it doesn't work,send me an IM and we'll see what we can figure out between us.I'm learning as I go too.  ;)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

GF

JP
I use my digital camera to create an AVI (which are large files) I then open up Windows Movie Maker and bring it into that application, you can do a customize size and make it a wmv.  It will make a 1 minute 20 second video into a 1mb wmv.  The more you cocmpress the less the quality.  Microsoft Media Player will then play that wmv file.

jpgreen

OK- Pics are back.

Gary- I'll see if I can figger that one out... thanks.

jpgreen

Quote from: Paul_H on February 06, 2006, 04:14:14 PM
JP,
do you have xat? I see you have a few pics in your gallery already.Keep trying and if it doesn't work,send me an IM and we'll see what we can figure out between us.I'm learning as I go too.  ;)

Thanks Paul-

All I have is Photoshop, and it took me awhile to see what the max I could upload was with my program cause the numbers don't match, but I finally got it.

Troy

JP - Can't wait to see some of the work in progress photos.  I bet you will have that thing running like a champ!  Wish I lived closer, that would be a fun project to help out on.  Send some more pics of your property, looks like pretty country.  Are you on top of a mountain?  Good luck.  Keep us posted!
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

jpgreen

I wish you lived back here too Troy-

We could have some fun sawin' some serious logs..  8) :) 8)

We are bout' 3100 feet looking out across an awesome open canyon and mountain range. I have been truly blessed by the main man upstairs.  I musta done sumthin' right after all the screwups..  ;D......  :D

100 yards out my back door..  smiley_bounce smiley_bounce 8)  :)  :) 8) smiley_bounce smiley_bounce

Any time you and the family want to travel west- you gotta nice place to stay Troy..  :)

Buzz-sawyer

Congrats.......I think ya got a lot of bang for the buck......You can use that bandmill to fillet those big ole fish ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Troy

JP - I'm putting a mark on my map of places to visit!  What a great view.  Thanks for the invite.  I'm just the type of person who might call you up one day and say I'm on my way.  If you ever get caught up on all of your projects and get time to make it over to the eastern side you know where to find me.  Thanks for the pics.
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

jpgreen

A bouncing baby Kawasaki..  :)

Such a cute little buggar.. smiley_big-grin2

Troy

That looks much better than the first one.  Now get that thing hooked up!
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

getoverit

Looks like you could power a dragster with that thing  :D

I'm sure that will do the trick for ya, and should have power to spare too. Are you sure your buddy don't wanna swing one more of them sweet deals?  ;D
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Jeff

Is your original engine set up with an auto clutch? What is the weight comparison between the old engine and the new one?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jpgreen

No auto clutch on the engine (and I'm not sure what that does).

Th Kawasaki is a little heavier than the Onan.  It's about 122 lbs.  I'm replacing the dual up/down chain with the new WoodMizer chain so it can easily handle the extra weight, and I had to do that to install the new debarker anyways.

I forgot the exact weight number on the Onan.

jpgreen

Spent all day scrubbing this mill by hand because my pressure washer pump died..  ::)  Anyone know anything about those?

Cleaned up fairly decent, and I've got more to do, but I've decided not to paint it this year cause I've got to much to do.  Anyone want to buy some new single stage (with hardener and reducer) premium paint computer matched to the new WM color?

Lots of old orange came back out from under the grunge...  8)

Larry

Just curious...what advantage does a water cooled small engine have over an air cooled engine?  I sorta like Kawasaki...beginning with a Mach 3 and the Kawasaki plant right up the road in Maryville, Missouri.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

jpgreen

Larry...

Some people believe the engine runs cooler and lasts longer.  I think it is superior in hotter climates, which I'll prolly be doing a lot of work in.

Drawbacks can be, you have a cooing system to maintian.  Your engine could overheat if it fails.  Radiator has to be blown out and kept free of sawdust.

Air cooling fins can become clogged on air cooled engines though also.

I like Kawasaki a lot.  Mabey cause it contains the word Saki..  :o..................... :D

Jeff

The reason I was asking was so you could calculate how much more the kawasaki weighs as that additional weight will be felt when "lifting" the engine and that radiator and its coolant everytime you have to engage the clutch since you dont have an auto clutch.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jpgreen

I don't know if it will be that much different Jeff, but we'll see.

So what's the fix, the auto clutch?

sawguy21

The liquid cooled will be smoother, QUIETER, and with reasonable maintenance, last a lot longer.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!