iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Antique planer

Started by brb, November 20, 2012, 08:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

At some point I need to joint some planking up to 24" wide. Some 3.5" and some 2.5". About 5,000 square feet worth. I think some sort of power feeder would be in order.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Al_Smith

It scares me to death on a little jointer hand feeding it I can't imagine a big one .I haven't been around any jointer for years and frankly don't care if I ever am again .

In a life time of working around all kinds of machinery that's one item  I'm just not comfortable around .

Ironwood

Winston Church had designed a HUGE spring loaded feeder that was over top two of my 30" jointers. The assembly over it was 2000# and the cast base plate was another 1000#, then add the jointer 3-4K, made for a heavy unit. I scrapped all the components as I only wanted the jointer. I will see if i can find a picture.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

TW

I know this is an old thread but I just want to add that professional woodworkers hand feed big jointers all the time and with proper guards and care it is no more dangerous than hand feeding a small one. Maybe less.

Mine is 24" and I feel safer hand feeding it than I do hand feeding hobby sized ones. It has a proper European style bridge guard and a home made wooden guard that covers the portion of the cutter that is behind the fence. It feels safer mostly because the tablea are long and everything becomes more controlled when the workpiece is supported along the greater part of it's lenght.

Just my thoughts

Ironwood

I am a "professional" and it aint no picnic, that 30" knife is chopping some serious air (and alot of wood with each rotation), I would love a "insert head" but ouch that would be some $$$$

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

dhilbert

Hi guys, I work for a company that rebuilds electric motors, generators, hydroelectric generators,and such.  I am a machinist, 30 years, anyhow for rebuilding babbit brgs. we use a company in Milwaukee, Wi. called Fuison Babbiting, they can rebuild or make a new brgs. for just about any size or style of brg. the biggest one I have worked on were about 8.500 dia. ID. and 18" long. Don't know how pricey they are, but it is a source, just thought you guys would like to know. The oldest hydro I worked on was built in 1903, rebuilt in the 40's, then we rebuilt it in 2007. That is reliability.
Thanks,   Dan

brb

I ended up not getting a good look at the planer, thought it was too much money. Did go look at a old belt driven 24" planer with an edging head. Cast and babbit, I sure love the old iron.   Brian

Al_Smith

Quite frankly that old iron  was designed to last forever .For all intents it has .

Things have changed in heavy industry .Because the manufacturing process methods change so fast it's not that heavy cast iron any more .It might at best have a usefull life expectency of 10-15 years .

After such time it becomes obsolete ,cut up for scrap and replaced with the newest methods and that's the way that story goes .

What is small enough for low production methods might be salvaged and the others end up as a bumper for a Toyota or a beer can depending on the material .

Finn1903

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 29, 2013, 12:00:24 PM

After such time it becomes obsolete ,cut up for scrap and replaced with the newest methods and that's the way that story goes .

What is small enough for low production methods might be salvaged and the others end up as a bumper for a Toyota or a beer can depending on the material .

I was teaching a fiber optics class at a GM engine plant in Definace OH. I got a tour of the place and got to see where the scrap metal is bring fed into the foundry to make Dura-max engine blocks.  The feed system and melter has a feedback sensor to pull in different types of scrap depending on the mix down stream.  I am sure some antiques have been melted down in that plant. 
Another sad fact is as time goes on we will have less trademen available who actually know how to work on the old equipment and align all the pieces and parts. 
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

Framerguru

Greetings all.  New to forum, had a couple of questions.  2 years ago I bought an old 24" planer.  Old guy I got it from bought it over 40 years ago, used it a lot.  When I got it from him he had installed a 5hp 220v electric motor to drive it.  I didn't have that kind of power in my garage, so I took it off and installed an 8hp gas engine.  Runs it nicely.  My questions are, can anyone help me identify my planer?  I have the original blades for it, as well as new ones that I use.  The original blades are stamped E.C. Atkins & Co., Lancaster, NY, 1926.  Unfortunately, these are the only markings I've found on this thing.  I am also looking to replace or upgrade the bearings on it, so if anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.  I am trying to figure out how to post pictures of it right now, so you can't see it just yet.  Thanks in advance for the help!

Jimmy

Framerguru

Al_Smith

Wow ,that looks like an old line shaft driven machine .It's got some age alright .If I'm right on that many of them were converted to run from electric motors instead of shafts .I've got two line shaft  pieces,a heavy old Bowe and Emmes lathe and a Fosdick spotting drill with an x-y table that are both over 100 years old .These aren't babbitt but rather brass bearings with  gravity oilers .If you keep oil on them I'm not sure you could wear them out.Like I said before they made them  to last 100 years and I've got the proof .
    After that paragraph I really don't know what brand that thing is other than old ,nice paint job though  ;)

Quebecnewf

Check over on the OWWM.com forum. 

Anything you need to find out about old woodworking machines can be found there.

Post back here what you discover 

Quebecnewf 

Framerguru

Thanks guys!  Like I said, I wasn't able to find any kind of manufacturers markings on it whatsoever.  The man I bought it from never said, and I think he's the one who painted it.  I do like that name Monster Mouth, so I kept it.  When I use it I tend to give all the pulleys and gears a wide berth, so I don't get grabbed and drawn into that mouth!  I will check up on the link you specified, and let you know what I found.  Thanks again.

JImmy

Framerguru

Oh yeah, I forgot.  I recently took the blades off and had them sharpened.  The ones that are usable were custom made by the previous owner, and they still have a lot of meat on them. So I can guarantee that I'm going to be using this thing for many years to come.  It has 2 blades, 24" long, and let me tell you, they will CUT!  Aside form a couple of my fingers while reattaching them, they can go through slabs of lumber without even bogging down!  I sawed up a few trees that were knocked down during a hurricane a couple of years ago.  I milled them up and sent them through, the Monster didn't even slow down.  And the sawdust!!!  Hahahahahaha!  It was snowing in my garage.

moodnacreek

A nice planner to own is the seldom seen 3 sided, 24" +.  Only ever saw one. The same man that had it also had a 4 sided about the size of a car. Molders are smaller machines than planers.

Quebecnewf

Get it and rebuild it . You won't regret it . I have rebuilt two old single sided planers . Best money I ever spent ( one was free and one was real cheap) I use them at my sawmill .

Check out my gallery and posts to see details .

Quebecnewf

Thank You Sponsors!