iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

file size

Started by Pullinchips, January 03, 2006, 09:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pullinchips

the latest thread reminded me of a question i had on file size.  When i purchased my saw and read the owners manual STIHL recomends a 13/64 file size for the 3/8 chain.  But when you look at ever other chain manufacture and look in baileys etc. they all recommend the 7/32 for 3/8 chain.  I used the stil recommended size (13/64) until the file i had wore out and then i went to the 7/32 and it seems to sharpen better.  My question is not what file size to use  i will keep using the 7/32 as it is not filling to far into the staps or bottom of the cutter teeth, and i feel it gets my chain sharpper faster, but why is there the discrepency in the file size?  I know it is only 1/64 of an inch difference but there is a difference.

-Nate
Resident Forester
US Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah District

Clemson Forestry Grad 2004
MFR Clemson University 2006
Stihl MS 390

Rocky_J

IMO Stihl just likes using lots of proprietary stuff in order to encourage dependancy on the local Stihl dealer. Sprockets are different, bar mounts are different, chain lengths are different, they even recommend a different file size for the same size chain! Stihl makes some good stuff, but product support can be rather pricey.

beenthere

Pullinchips
I use the 7/32" file until I get to the straps, and then drop to the 13/64".  
Why the smaller size, I don't know either.  
Maybe has something to do with not recommending two files for a chain, and sticking to one size fits all, be-it too small at first (13/64) or too large (7/32) at the end.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kevin

I've never actually measured a cutter on a Stihl chain but it's possible that it is a little higher.

Glenn

I also use 7/32 and switch to 13/64 half way through.  Maybe this would work on .325 -  3/16 then 4.5mm.  I didn't know that stihl sprockets were different than others.  I use an 8 tooth on my 046 and the same one on my pioneer p52.  My local stihl dealership has changed hands and even an 8 tooth sprocket had to be special ordered.  I have been ordering everything from Baileys and its quicker to order from them than it is to use my local guy - and I live in Ontario!

SawTroll

Quote from: Rocky_J on January 03, 2006, 10:14:18 PM
IMO Stihl just likes using lots of proprietary stuff in order to encourage dependancy on the local Stihl dealer. ....
In my mind there is little or no doubt that you are generally right.  >:(

Quote from: Glenn on January 04, 2006, 11:07:26 AM
Maybe this would work on .325 -  3/16 then 4.5mm.
It does!

Quote from: Glenn on January 04, 2006, 11:07:26 AM
I didn't know that stihl sprockets were different than others. 
I don't think they are, regarding sprockets for the "normal" spline sizes, but Stihl use the "mini" 7-spline on some models, to confuse the picture. I learned about the mini spline the hard way when fixing an 024 for a friend.....  >:(

Otherwise I have a 3/8x8 Stihl sprocket on my old Jred 621 that originally used Oregon, and an Oregon one on my MS361. Both fit perfectly.  8)

I like the 13/64 file best on the 3/8" RS chain - but it makes a difference only the first time you file it, and when it is worn well past halvway down.
I use it on 73LP/H42 also for the last part of the chains "life".
Information collector.

Rocky_J

jeez, sorry for confusing so many. The small spline sprockets used on Stihl saws less than 55cc (MS260 and smaller) are not the same as the small spline sprockets used on every other brand of saw in the world. THe large spline sprockets are the same, but it seems like that's the exception for Stihl and not the rule.

SawTroll

Rocky, just in case I confused you;

The "angry" smilie is meant for Stihl, not for you. ;D
Information collector.

Glenn

Thanks for explain the difference in sprockets for small stihls.

tony_marks

yep stihl is just different. different enuff that power matching dont work a lot of the time. aggrevating as heck ,true. but i learned my lesson. stihl pts for stihl saws. the power match will work. just well enuff to wear out and work u saw harder. jmo

Thank You Sponsors!