iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clark 664c brakes question?

Started by logman81, October 05, 2017, 07:33:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Hey everyone it's been awhile since I've posted. But any way long story short after selling all my equipment and pretty much getting out of buisness and going to work for another logger as a skidder operator for about four months he decided to get out of the buisness.  So here I am back in buisness for my self and slowly getting equipment that I need. Thankfully I already have tons of work and wood Lots to cut. Ok onto the question.... so I'm close to sealing the deal on a Clark 664c cable skidder and thought what better place to find info on it. So my question is about the brakes. They currently arnt working and was wondering if they are hard to work on or get parts for? Everything is there they just aren't working according to the owner.
And also is there anything specific to Clark that I should pay special attention to when I go and look at it this weekend?
It has a two valve 353 and has been turned up a tad, Clark winch had a new fiber gear put in not long ago. Any info would be awesome!
Precision Firewood & Logging

logman81

Maine logger88

Not a Clark guy but I have ran 3 a 666b a 664b and a 664c they are tough machines! The only one of the 3 that had brakes was the 664b and someone had converted that to a disc brake from a corvette. I know nothing about the brake system on them cause they were not mine and I just ran them
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Plankton

I run a Clark 664 with a 353 in it every day. When I got it there was no brake system just a empty drum on the driveshaft. I put new brakes in for maybe $150. Got my master cylinder and lines at the auto store and ordered the brakes online. I put a high pressure ball valve in the brake line which is hydraulic line for a Mico lock ebrake.

logman81

Ok thanks for the reply, this one has disc setup. I believe it is factory install owner states the pedal is stuck from rust and will need freeing up. Are parts still easy to get for them?

logman81

Has anyone ever inclosed the cab on one of these skidders and added a heater?

Plankton

I haven't had any problem getting parts for the skidder not sure if disc brakes are a different story but I wouldn't think they were. Parts have been generally cheap too.

logman81

Hey that's good to know I would think getting disc brake parts would be about the same.

logman81

Are there any specific things to look or test for on the Clark 664c?

coxy

the 2 valve Detroit is an older motor don't know how true it is but was told they are late 60early 70 if they had a 2valve  :-\

logman81

The motor was replaced awhile with the two valve and it was turned up a little.

Plankton

Just like another old skidder usual things obviously leaks etc. They're really easy to work on in my experience even pulling the motor when mine blew had it out in a easy day. The transmissions are expensive so make sure that works there's stall speeds and pressures to test that some guys on here know them I'd have to look in my book to find it. But it should shift smooth move easy when you punch the throttle and go into f+r fast don't try it when your moving or it will make some noise! Haha I found that one out pretty quick.
  In these Detroit you'll have pretty much no power with low throttle it's all or nothing with these machines takes a little getting used to but stick steering is awesome.

Parts and operator manuals are free on alliedsystems.Com

logman81

Everything sounds good so far, how hard is it to replace a axle shaft in them?

Plankton

Never replaced mine but did have it out when I was putting new orings in the planetary covers to check it for wear. Easy peas only tricky part for me was getting the planetary gears to line up with it and go onto the axle that would be easier with two people.

logman81

Ok cause the one I'm thinking about has to have one of the rear axle shafts put back in after in got welded.

Thank You Sponsors!