iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Liability Insurance

Started by Autocar, April 07, 2011, 09:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

I have a million dollar liability insurance and every year I get two or three memorandoms from them stating we know longer cover and it'a about four papers of who no's for sure what there not covering . The coverage is for if someone is hurt snooping around the landing/climbing on stacked logs, falls off the skidder ect. Is a million enough probably not but it alway made me feel warm and fuzzy  :D thinking I had all the bases covered. Friday I plan on calling the company and see if the guy that handles my policy can exsplain in laymans term what I have yet. Any body esle ever wonder if there covered ?
Bill

smwwoody

I just renewed mine and I had the agent sit down with me and go over a bunch of what ifs. He also covered a lot of will nots
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

beenthere

smwwoody
Care to share the will and will nots?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

smwwoody

Sure I will pull out the policy and my notes this weekend and post what I have
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

red oaks lumber

i think the sad thing is we all have insurance, and if or when we need to use it most of it won't be covered. but its like oxygen we need it.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

madmari

I've read my policy and I gathered this: If a tree falls in the forest and there is noboby there to get squished, I'm covered 8)

Seriously, there is ALOT of exemptions (where you are not covered), but if you don't  knowingly allow people on your log pile or equipment and they get hurt, then you are probably covered.
  I had a 12 year old playing on my skidder one evening and he was found by his mother as he shifted gears and mashed the throttle. She told me the story the following day, in case he had broken anything. (good parent)Fortunately, I had the main power shut off and he didn't know where the switch was. Now, i pull the air cutoff before leaving ( after the motor is shut down) as a further precaution. The log pile scenario scares the jalepanos out of me- a kid was killed in NY in the past year when a log rolled onto him as he and his buddies were playing on the pile. Shutter to think of the liability, but worse for the poor kid and his family.
  We have a responsibility to make the site as safe as possible and pray that nobody gets hurt through ignorance or carelessness. Insurance does not revive corpses.
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

woodmills1

the one thing none of us are covered for is called I think attractive nusiance

in real words if I dig a hole out on my land and don't rope or tape it off and a tresspasser falls in it I am at fault

but if I have a big rock cliff that has been there for ever and a tresspasser falls in it I am covered

I try to cover myself insurance wise, but there are always some what ifs that could go bad

in general i am saying if you didn't create the hazard you probably won't be held responsible

here in NH landowners have been indemdified against claims from tresspassers as long as the hazard was not created by the land owner

I do worry about my log piles though
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Autocar

My biggest concern has been [ what if ] a limb that I broke or a storm broke falls out of a tree as someone is cutting firewood/walking a skid trail . I lock my doors on the skidder and all access panels also. I once had someone pour Mountain Dew in my fuel tank,I learned real quick lock everything.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!