iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Cowards Way Out!!!!

Started by etat, May 15, 2004, 07:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etat

Been working off and on all week on my cabinets.  Now the whole rest of this house I've done from scratch, without taking shortcuts.  Not so with my 'economy' cabinets!!!   Acquired them last year from a remodel.  They were pine with a UGLY dark stain.  I cut em apart, resized them, and put em back together.  I refaced the outside of the frame with 1'4 inch oak plywood.  Cut the plywood to size, brushed the backside with yellow glue, and pasted it on.  For clamps I took a shortcut and used short pieces of 1 inch scraps and a finishing nailer and shot a couple a nails through each piece.  After removal left a few small nail holes which almost disappeared.  I made new drawers out of 3/4 oak plywood and installed with metal slides with bearings.  All joints I rabbited, glued, and shot with finish nails, again took a short cut and no screws. I did cut slots in em for the drawer bottoms and didn't glue them so there'd be some allowance for expansion and contraction.  I took a piece of the oak plywood to the paint store, picked out a color in the piece, and had them to mix me up some oil base paint to paint the insides of the cabinets and cover up that old stain.  Looks better than ya'd think.  Then I made new doors out of 3/4 oak plywood, no fancy joinery, just plain doors.  My wife did have some pretty cool handles and knobs to put on em.  A few years ago I bought a couple of pickup loads of scrap steel from a place going out of business.  In this was quite a bit of 3/16 and 1/4 in stainless steel plate. Big pieces I been saving.  I made the counter tops out of 3/4 inch plywood, two pieces sandwiched and glued together and am cutting the plate with a skillsaw and a irwin metal blade, and a die grinder.  As I said, nothing fancy, no screws in these cabinets, but I think they'll hold together with all that glue and nails.  I then sealed the plywood with shellac, and will finish with a homemade wipe on polyurethane, quick and easy.

I'm almost finished with em, and only been working a week.  And to tell you the truth, they look pretty Dang good.  Ain't got hardly nuthin in em money wise, or time wise, only a weeks  work.  (was a couple a 15 hour days for me and the wife).  We call em 'COUNTRY CABINETS'!!!!!!!!!!
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

shopteacher

Pictures Man, pictures.  Sounds like you only worked twice as long as they would have taken fron scratch. :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

etat

Still like a bit but not as much as I did!!!! 8) 8)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

etat

Oh, the sink isn't fastened yet, Gonna have one joint in the stainless under it and still workin on cuttin it, and then will recut the edges of it.  A couple of places still need some veneer.  I will make a back splash out of copper when I get my round to it. I will glue ice and water shield 'roofing product' underneath the stainless turn it up behind the copper and then glue and fasten to that.

shopteacher

AAh, that's better.  The're looking real good CK. When's the open house?
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Thank You Sponsors!