iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

640D winch-how to secure cable in it?

Started by Oliver05262, September 15, 2018, 09:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oliver05262

I know this has been covered before, but I couldn't find the thread; how do you secure a mainline cable in the winch drum ? The other JD's I've worked on had an eye you ran the cable through, you either had a swaged knob or tied a knot to hold the cable in. This drum just has a pocket to drop the swaged end in.
  He had me weld a strap across to hold the cable in place, but that blew right off. 7018 never held to the drum - cast iron? They fooled around today and got it secure. Is this how you're supposed to do it?

Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Firewoodjoe

It needs to keep a few wraps on it and it holds it in. Those bolt on straps on our 648s don't really hold much just in case u unspool to much.

Huntaholic

As Im sure you know, its supposed to have a plate and a bolt that holds the plate over the head. Yours is actually in better shape than any of mine. What I did was have my welder fix it with a heavier piece of plate across that hole, and run the cable under the plate, insert a horseshoe wedge type wedge for another winch type setup, then loop the cable back through the hole and drive the horseshoe down under the plate to hold the cable in place. The way you did it will work but its impossible to spool your cable on perfectly that way. Its always going to have a cross up in it and anytime a cable jumps over itself it weakens the cable. Plus if its not evenly on the drum you cant spool as much cable! BTW, that drum CAN be welded, your welder just didn't use the right rods, current, or something.

dnash

Quote from: Oliver05262 on September 15, 2018, 09:36:47 PM
 I know this has been covered before, but I couldn't find the thread; how do you secure a mainline cable in the winch drum ? The other JD's I've worked on had an eye you ran the cable through, you either had a swaged knob or tied a knot to hold the cable in. This drum just has a pocket to drop the swaged end in.
 He had me weld a strap across to hold the cable in place, but that blew right off. 7018 never held to the drum - cast iron? They fooled around today and got it secure. Is this how you're supposed to do it?

I do it almost the exact same way. The only difference is our cable dont come with the knob on the end so we use a 5/8 cable clamp.
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

Thank You Sponsors!