iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winch cable

Started by Upnorth, August 02, 2014, 12:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upnorth

Any opinions from the cable skidder guys out there on the best replacement cable on my Timberjack 240E? I am tired of mine being all coiled up. Any suggestions on the brand, type, and retailer would be great. I'm near Thunder Bay, Ontario, so any dealer around here or the Duluth, Minneapolis area etc would be great. Looking for 1/2 to 9/16. Thanks!
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

Woodboogah

I am using 5/8th swedged cable.  I use the swedge because its smooth.  Not as flexible as regular.  Just what I prefer.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Maine logger88

I use 5/8 swedge on my 540 it lasts better than regular cable. I tryed 9/16 swedge for awhile it was a lot easier to pull out but I kept pulling the knot through the slider or breaking it on big twitches. My 225 I just use 5/8 regular cause I don't load it real heavy so it lasts fine
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

thenorthman

I'm running a Deere so salt etc...

I run 3/4 made in china, its cheap!  and the 9/16 stuff tends to break pretty easy, its only a 70-80hp machine, but the winch is rated for 20,000.  The 3/4 is more of a pain to drag around, but its not so bad, and its a sight better then fixing breaks everyday.  Next time around I'll maybe spend the coin on some american made cable, if I can find any...

As for the end, I spent the money on one of them reusable knobs, cable lasts longer, and you don't loose as much line as with a knot, takes some practice to get them apart... and a big ugly hammer and punch...  Used to use the knot thing but it seems to loose 3-4 feet everytime, and like someone said its pretty easy to slip the sliders right over it...
well that didn't work

Maine logger88

Yeh I have one of those ferrells for the end it does work good it just takes awhile too put on and take off at least for me so I just use a knot but I agree about losing more cable each time
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Skidder Kev

Hi upnorth,  we us 9/16 swag cable on our 664 clark.    To find it I would think someone in thunder bay would carry it.  I would try calling some logging equip dealers in tbay they will either have it or know where to get it.     Our clark came from thunder bay before it got rebuilt.
Kev

ga jones

I was using 5/8 swedge. I bought the 380 and it has 5/8 unswedge and I like it a lot better. It's easier to work with.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

thenorthman

Quote from: Maine logger88 on August 02, 2014, 05:37:07 PM
Yeh I have one of those ferrells for the end it does work good it just takes awhile too put on and take off at least for me so I just use a knot but I agree about losing more cable each time

If ya seize the cable about 6" back from where you cut it, it goes on fairly well, coming apart is still a bit of a chore though :D  I am getting quicker at it, last time only took about 1/2 and hour...

I just use tape to seize it, Duct or electrical  whatever's handy
well that didn't work

Woodboogah

I use a reusable ferrel as well.  Sad to say I have got fast at changing it on the landing.  They work well though, in my opinion and you get to save some cable. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

cutter88

We run 5/8 super swedge on our 640
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

BargeMonkey

We run the premium 5/8 swedged on both skidders and the dozer. I dont usually lose more than 1-2' making a knot, big set of vise grips are the trick. We run the wire down to 50-60' on the skidders then throw it on the dozer. Ive got to grab a few of those replacement ferrules at boonville, my franklin had 1 and it worked good.

Timbercruiser

Your in thunder bay go to Central Canada industries by the air port . They can make up a new mainline whatever you want . If you switch cable sizes you need to find out how much you can put on the drum. The timberjack owner book has the info. Central canada will make up a new mainline last one i bought was close to $300. They make choakers too and hoses check them out good people to deal with too. :)

Upnorth

Thanks guys. Going to give the non-swedge a try. Both my last 2 9/16 swedge cables lasted less than a year before they were so coiled up that they were essentially useless. I am interested in the Amsteel Blue synthetic rope though. Anyone give it a try? I understand it's quite expensive, but throwing out 2 a bunch of cable that is coiled but otherwise like new hurts too.
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

BargeMonkey

We used alot of the amsteel and polydac lines on the tugs and large oil barges in place of wire cables, its very strong but doesnt handle any abrasion or sharp edges very well. When we know the machines are going to set for a few days we string the cables out under tension on something heavy, usually cleans up any kinks, just a thought.

mog5858

any one got a link to this reusable ferrel as it sound good or a pic of what i looking for thanks martin

BargeMonkey

Ive gotten them from Comstock Logging Supply. Labonville also has them.Not bad, you need a decent hammer, and a strong drift pin to get them off. 

Ive got a tool box on the 1 skidder with the cutter, 4lb hammer, tape and 1 of those wrapped in tape inside. The knot still works to get you by. When you buy those they are sized to your cable, you dont want one to small and suck it thru the sliders.

Thank You Sponsors!