iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any other pilots out there

Started by jargo432, May 30, 2014, 01:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Jargo, I'm not a pilot but I do fly off the handle sometimes. ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

John Mc

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

sandhills

I would love to know how to fly, coolest trip was in a 5 seat cessna flying in Alaska, The pilot let me set in her "co-pilot" seat, I'm kind of a gearhead so man was that cool!  But I also love them small jets, man they take off good, gotta get me one of those!  :) Hope you have a great time with it Marty

Gadrock

I got my private back in 1969 and started flying everything that I could. Owned 172's Cherokee Sixes, Super Cub with a 180 hp, Bonanza V35B, twin Commanchee, and a few AgTrucks (Cessna Ag plane), plus high altitude gliders.

Several thousand hours later in powered and several trips above 25,000 in a glider with one to 30,000...well time to quit.

The last pilot in command by me was in 1992.

If I had ever been exposed to bush flying like you see in the tv program then that is where I would have been. God put me here growing pine trees now and I do not try to outguess my Master.

Carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

MartyParsons

Hello,
Four take off and landings tonight, One with the instructor three all alone  :o. Three greasers all by the numbers. So I am cleared to solo as of tonight.
The next thing is study for the test.
The instructor cut the back out of my shirt, ? That was not in the book.

Thanks,
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Delawhere Jack

Marty, that is awesome. I just have to wonder where they found a spot near Shade Gap flat enough for a landing strip.  ;D

BTW, what's a "greaser"?

Papa1stuff

Sounds like a smooth landing to me ;D
When I was learning to fly , my instructor wrote in my log book that I had done five takeoffs and controlled crashes :D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

John Mc

A "greaser" is pilot slang for a landing so smooth you can barely tell you set down. Just a couple of "chirps" as the tires touch down.

Congrats on the solo take-offs and landings, Marty. That's a major milestone.

John
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

pineywoods

For all airplane lovers, the grandaddy of all air show/airplane gatherings starts july 27 in Oshkosh wis. Upwards of 10,000 airplanes of every kind. The only airworthy B29 bomber will be there, along with the us airforce thunderbirds. Airshow daily starting around 2 pm. Something new..Streaming live video over the internet every day. Go to EAA.ORG and follow the links to airventure. I'll be there, leaving this sunday am. Anybody else going??
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Gadrock

Piney,
    The last EAA trip I had to Wisconsin had us landing in groups of 4. Two aircraft landed side-by-side halfway down the long East-West runway while the other two did the side=by=side landing on the numbers.
    There were as many aircraft parked there as there would be automobiles at a college football game. A requirement was to have an additional listener in the front, because so much information was being handed out it was difficult for a single pilot to keep up with...on his first visit.
    I have seen enough aircraft maneuvers to last a lifetime, until they get to the high precision landing. But up there its a million acres of paved stuff with runways wider than some of the strips I took off on longways.
    We camped out while up there so there was minimal equipment in an airplane. I hope you guys enjoy your trip.

David G

carry on
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

Jhenderson

Sold my Maule when the economy took a dive in the mid 2000s. It's the only equipment move I regret. Miss it as much as I'd miss my dog.

pineywoods

It has started, today is the first day and already out of parking space for planes, close to filling up all the car parking lots and campground.  I'm camped in a motorhome right in the middle of everything. A large percentage of the north american avaiation fleet is here along with even more pilots and Lord knows how many wannabe's. The thunderbirds are scheduled for friday, saturday, and sunday airshows. Supposed to be 2 nightime airshows with fireworks. We have been here 2 weeks, working to get everything ready. Not exactly an un-eventful trip. Clogged fuel filter 50 miles south of Rockford Ill and a blown tire 20 miles from destination..I had spares for both..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Gadrock

Piney I hope you guys have a wonderful event. Although I no longer go there I recognize that is one of the two "places to be" when it comes to aviation. it was enjoyable for me too when I did attend.

But I am getting prepared to be at the Pig Roast in a couple days, seeing a part of the country I have never seen.

David G

carry on

Randy88

Private and instrument rated, logged over 700 hours thus far, been too busy the last few years to even annual my plane, let alone fly it. but I sure do love flying.   

I learned enough to know, its sure nicer to fly when the weather's nice out than fight mother nature, so now I'm only a fair weather flyer.   

bama20a

I hold an PPL,Thats what with my name bama20a,20a is the airport call number  ;D ;D
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Piston

A friend of mine is a professional pilot.  He mostly flies private jets but is now working at a commercial airline.  He says the same thing about being a commercial pilot as someone posted, there is very little money in aviation anymore.  It seems it used to be a very well respected career, as well as pretty lucrative, but him and his wife (both pilots) always talk about the relatively low pay they make compared to other careers. 

The exceptions seem to be flying for either FedEx or UPS, which seem like very difficult jobs to get. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

MartyParsons

Hello,
Just a follow up on this post. I finally took my written test today. No excuses but I got an 80%. Crazy test made my hair turn gray. The questions I have been studying this week. I don't think I had one question on the test that I was concerned about.

I started this adventure in 2011.

Also did a solo tonight again in a different plane. Cessna 177 Cardinal . I was not sure when the instructor sold the Lark. The Lark would land with a clunk the Cessna lands a lot nicer.

I now have 90 days to do the check ride with the FAA inspector. My hair may fall out by then.

Marty

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

John Mc

Good luck, Marty.

I remember when I was going for that first checkride, and every one after that as I got my Instrument Rating, Commercial, and finally CFI (That CFI oral exam and checkride was a doozy!)

I'm sure you'll do fine. Relax and have a good time.

AK Newbie

Good luck on your check ride.  You can pretty much anticipate most of what he will throw at you.  Practice not only doing the maneuvers but articulating what it is you are doing and why out loud.  The repetition is good for you and the practice will pay off when you get asked during your ride.  I am a PPL with only about 400 hrs so the check ride is still fresh in my memory  ;D. 
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

John Mc

AK Newbie makes a good point. Getting used to talk out loud about what you are doing as you are doing it on your check ride displays to the examiner that you have an understanding about what you are doing. It doesn't have to be constant, but a comment as things are happening helps.

For example, during a steep turn, if you notice that you've lost a little altitude, verbalize your correction: "Ok, lost a bit of altitude. I'm rollling out a little bit of my bank, and now easing in some back pressure on the yoke...)

And, RELAX that monster grip on the yoke. A lot of people tend to really clamp on for dear life when they are new at it, or when the pressure is on. Clenching hard on your grip does not help you control the plane better. In fact, it makes it hard to feel what the plane (and you) are doing. It also tires you out quickly. Trimming properly can help keep your grip (and you) relaxed.

The examiner is not trying to fail you. Every one I've been through myself, or seen for one of my students, they want to see you succeed.

On my Commercial check ride, One of the first maneuvers I was asked to do was Steep Turns. I had about 500 hours of PIC time, but I was a lot more nervous than I thought I'd be. I did my clearing turns as I slowed to a few knots below maneuvering speed, added a bit of power as I rolled into a 60˚ bank, trimmed to keep it level, and proceeded to do one of the best steep turns I had ever done in my life. It was like the gauges were nailed in place: rock steady altitude and airspeed, bank stayed EXACTLY where I wanted it. I started to think "hey, this is pretty darn good. I've got this nailed!" I was so impressed with myself that I blew right past my desired rollout heading by more than 30˚. I was thinking "crap! I just failed my checkride on the first maneuver."  I probably said something like "Admin Edit". I just blew it."  The examiner just looked at me and calmly said "would you like to try that again? How about turning to the left this time?"

When I got back on the ground, I thanked him for giving me a break and letting me do the steep turn again. His response was "When you've been doing this as long as I have, you know when someone knows what they are doing and just got a little nervous. Did you forget your rollout heading?"  "Yeah", I responded (I lied. I didn't want to admit to him that I had just gotten cocky and was too busy watching how well it was going and congratulating myself to even remember that I was supposed to roll out of the turn at some point.)

Ron Scott

I still remember my solo flight and check ride in an old Taylorcraft back in 1954 in El Cajon, CA. Had a great instructor who always seemed to keep his cool and gave me a lot of free air time
~Ron

John Mc

My private checkride ended with a landing in the strongest crosswind I had landed in up to that time. That amount seems like nothing to me now, but it was a bit hairy for me back then - especially since there was a forest along windward side of the runway, so things got squirrely just as I was about to flare to land. (That landing was probably yet another instance of an examiner cutting me some slack. I guess, as the test standard says "the successful outcome of the maneuver was never in doubt", so I passed.)

MartyParsons

I enjoy listening to all the stories and information. I really feel I know nothing about flying at this point. Sounds kind of crazy as much as I study. I really have a tough time reading and retaining what I learn or understanding just what I read and what it exactly means. The cross country I did with the instructor was costly but worth every penny because I learned so much in 3 hours and what to do and not to do.
The most scary thing at this point was flying into an airport and listening to the Common traffic no chatter at all. I was doing my calls on every turn.  Started my down wind leg and looked down right below me and there was a Cessna pulling a glider. I could see the pilot in the plane. I was a little freaked. Then we landed and looked up and there were four sky divers landing about 10 min after we did. I asked the instructor what is up with this?  He said this is common. He said you just cant be asleep while flying.  :o

M

John Mc

Marty - people learn indifferent ways. Some pick things up well from reading. Some from seeing , some from doing. Usually, some combination of the various methods really helps cement things in place.

One of the things I used to recommend for my students who were a little nervous about the check ride was to pick up a copy of the videos (which I guess are now DVDs) that show someone going through a mock check ride. I think King  and Sporty's used to have some good ones. You can probably watch then online these days. Some times seeing it and experiencing things that way can help more than a bunch of book studying

Magicman

I know nothing about airplanes other than they fly, but I am enjoying reading this thread.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!