iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big tree in creek

Started by jrose1970, March 31, 2015, 01:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrose1970

Hey everyone,
  I was going to ask for advice. I have a huge tree in the creek from the ice storm. It is about 30 inches.
the creek is in a deep V and the water cascades right there. I have a 37 horse, rear wheel drive tractor.
I don't have Farmi Winch. Does anyone have any tricks to share about moving the logs?
Thanks!
HFE-36; International 424-37HP; McCullogh Pro 10-10

GAB

Quote from: jrose1970 on March 31, 2015, 01:40:20 PM
Hey everyone,
  I was going to ask for advice. I have a huge tree in the creek from the ice storm. It is about 30 inches.
the creek is in a deep V and the water cascades right there. I have a 37 horse, rear wheel drive tractor.
I don't have Farmi Winch. Does anyone have any tricks to share about moving the logs?
Thanks!

Tricks - NO
Advice - YES
BE VERY VERY CAREFUL, as mother nature does not allow drop outs. 
Only drop ins!!!!
Gerald

W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Farmerjw

This is the other version of a widow maker, hitching to a tractor, pulling, flipping tractor, all end in tragedy.  This might be the one to let water cascade over the rest of your life. 
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Straightgrain

No tricks; looks like a serious Top-Tension situation.

Option 1: If you have other large trees in the area, you may be able to run high-lead cables and take it out in pieces.

Option 2: Call a professional and sub-out the more-dangerous tasks.
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

BradMarks

Not knowing much except "huge tree", it could be a leaverite species, or try a pulley(block) system to maximize the pulling power needed.

kensfarm

Wait til the next storm washes down stream to nice calm flat area.  If the water is dangerous enough to drown you or kill you from the ride..  not worth it.  I pull trees out of the creek.. but if I fall in.. the only danger is having to work the rest of the day w/ wet feet.  Any pictures?

thecfarm

A 30 inch tree is big as a tree. Can you cut the tree into 8 foot long pieces or shorter? Is the tree,creek,in a hollow or level? I doubt that tractor will haul out limbs and all unless it's cut up into smaller 6-8 foot pieces. Those limbs will really dig in and hold it back. I would cut the limbs off first,but have no idea if this is possible with the layout of the land and creek.
I reread and see the deep V now. The only way I would even THINK of doing it now,is real short pieces,like 2 feet long.May take a day to get the job done,but it could be done. You really need 2 people there too. There must be other trees to get hung up on too. One on the tractor and one to hook and unhook and watch what is going on down in the V.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ocklawahaboy

An uncle of mine in TN tried to drag a dead cow with his truck.  Cow slipped down the bank into the water.  Hooked the tractor to the truck and tried to combine the pull.  Cable broke and he lost the cow and the truck and was darn lucky himself. 

Don't try to imitate him.   

@magicman had a nice thread about pulling a walnut out of a creek bottom but I don't think it was quite that big.  He might be able to offer some advice. 

jrose1970

Great advice! I'm thinking it is a leaverite species for now. I will start with cutting it in 8' logs and keep thinking.
Subbing to a pro is sounding better and better. :)
They say necessity is the mother of invention. I could imagine a DC powered winch that you could chain
to another tree and pull logs from tree to tree until you get to level ground. Just dreaming.

jrose1970

http://www.portablewinch.com/

Eureka!! Now I just need $1500 bucks. LOL
That is a pretty amazing little tool.

jrose1970

I promise I ain't bragging, (Well, a little. LOL)                but we pulled two 8' sections out so far.  Have you ever heard of anyone ripping the butt log with a chainsaw and pulling each half out? It would be a lot of cutting, but I think that is the only way I'm going to get that without a Farmi winch.

caveman

Attach to your tractor below the centerline of the axle (drawbar) and if your tractor will not move it, the tractor will spin down rather than try to perform a rear upset.  Also, you may use some snatch blocks with your towing cable to increase your tractor's advantage.
Caveman
Caveman

jrose1970

You're right. Daddy taught me that trick about attaching to the drawbar below the axle to prevent a backflip.
My brother used to "pop wheelies" with a '64 Ford 2000 gas tractor. It's a wonder we're not dead.
I've also learned that tractors are terrible for pulling trailers because of poor braking systems.
That's a good idea about the snatch block. I've been using a double pull come-along for the tough places, but it is just barely strong enough.

sealark37

Surely, you have a friend with a wrecker who can drag that log out in jig time!   Regards, Clark

David-L

Please watch for tension if hung up, it happens so quick you won't be able to respond if it's coming at you. Any pics. Good luck
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

jrose1970

That's good advice about the tension. Thanks!  Sorry, no pictures yet. I'm working on it.

jrose1970

Hey fellers,
   Last night me and Will Bill pulled the 8 foot butt log up to the top of the hill. 8) It is so heavy I can't roll it with the  cant hook. I have to roll it with a chain and come-along. It is a little bit oval shaped. It ended up being about 22" Ø on the little end.  It wouldn't be so hard for those of you with more experience, but it was a booger for me.  :D  It got dark on us, but from where it is to the sawmill a lot easier pulling.  I really want to get a picture. I'm going to stick with 22" or less until I get some better equipment. :-\

mesquite buckeye

So, like, where's the photo?

;D ;D ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

jrose1970

I don't have one just yet, but I thought I would share a couple that are more important. :)
The first picture is a lot prettier than the tree in the creek. LOL
The second one shows me and Moira at the creek where the tree was.
I promise to get a picture of the log when I get it on the sawmill!

cutterboy

She is a beauty and I don't mean the tree!
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

dustyhat

Well, thats alot prettyern  than any old tree anyway :laugh:

WV Sawmiller

JROSE,

I have been working on salvaging a walnut out of a draw sounds about the size you are describing. Fortunately for me the drag is all straight down the runoff and no running water in or around it this time of year. Dragged the limbs and such up to about 6" up the hill with a couple of snatch blocks and my 4 wheeler. Got one 6' log out yesterday with logging arch and got 8'6" 2nd cut out today with 4 wheeler and an snatch block.  Getting better at it. I moved today's log 35 yards or so with the cant hook and gravity before started pulling. My biggest hurdle is working alone. Pull 10-15' and get hung on a root or rock, go walk 250 yards up a slick creek bank, roll it quarter turn with logrite to free it, walk back and repeat. Throw in moving the snatch block as I come to the end of my many cable sections/hooks, getting them free of my cross fence when get hung on it, etc.

Now I have only the butt log left to move. I bucked it to 12' but may go back and cut to shorter length when I get back on my project. The log was hollow and had standing water in it when I bucked it off. May have to move up a couple feet o get good solid wood. Put 4 wheeler in shot for service so will be a week or more before I start back on it. Will try to get son to come help. A second person to foll0w the log and free it and move snatch block from tree to tree would make the project so much easier, safer and faster.

THis is the log with the top and limbs removed.

This is the cut between the butt and 2nd log. About 20" in diameter.

This is the butt log. See cavity at base. First cut off the log is just above the cavity but had standing water in it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

beenthere

WV
Take a pic of that log with a chainsaw or something on the log for size comparison.
It doesn't show up as big as it really is in these pics.
Hope you get it out ok next week.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WV Sawmiller

Been,

You're right. I thought about leaning the cant hook up against it and should have done so. Just trying to avoid another trip up and down the slick deer trail on the steep slope. Everything is out but the butt log but I will try to add another pix next time I go back to move it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

Been,

Here is a picture of the bottom of second cut shows log is 19" X17" oval. That is the top dimension of the butt log so it is likely 22"-24" at the big end.  I mentioned I cut it off at 12' but will likely buck off another couple feet due to the hollow. Hope the hollow area does not go up too high. Would have sure made a nice den or bee tree before it fell. I'm betting its 3 years down since we had a big storm here 3 years ago this summer that knocked down lots of trees. (Our power was off here at my house 11 days). Bark slips right off but the wood is sound as was up off the ground from top and root ball holding it up. Still have to get it a couple hundred yards or more down the draw to the pasture with a cant hook, snatch block, cables and ATV.  If I get a helper and can reduce the back and forth and up and down we might get it out in an hour or so. The wood sure is pretty.
Howard Green

jrose1970

Hey WV,
  Yes, it sounds like your job is about like mine. The tractor can pull the on level ground but as soon as it hits a root or digs in on a hill, it gets stuck. I've learned to put a fence post beside it and come-along it over on top of the post. Then it slides easy for about 8 feet.  (I learned that on the FF. LOL)  The Egyptians had it figured out with rolling posts. LOL
Thanks guys for the compliments on my little angel!!  She's a year old exactly.

jrose1970

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

jrose1970

mesquite buckeye

I think that's what they make hoses and axes for. ;D

Ed_K

That creek didn't power wash it  ;D :D ?
Ed K

jrose1970

I would say an axe would be cheaper and smarter than a brand new blade every other log wouldn't it?
:) I was in a hurry and a little lazy.  I'm hoping for an 18 X 10 Cant. The slabs can be salvaged on a radial arm saw. I'm wanting two 10 x 9 logs for a cabin.  I see you have a little angel too Ed!! Mine took her first steps yesterday! She will soon be helping her Daddy. :)

WV Sawmiller

JROSE,

I learned that trick as a kid. My dad had a monument business and we'd move one ton granite slabs by putting down a track of 2X12s and short pipes. On rough ground if you use 3 fence posts you can keep it rolling and as one comes out the back move it to the front. My issue is doing it by myself. On the next one I will likely have my son help me which should make things much easier. My hardest part of the work is just getting off the 4 wheeler, walking back to the log, nudging it over a rock or root or moving the snatch block from one side of the loop to the next when it gets to the end. Just the walking up and down the hill is the hardest part. With one person walking beside the log and another driving the 4 wheeler it is much easier as only have to make the trek up then back one time.
Howard Green

Ed_K

jrose, enjoy that little girl as long as you can  8) .The little one is my youngest granddaughter, she's almost 8. They grow up to fast  :o .
Ed K

jrose1970

They sure do grow up quick! My son is 22, but at 11 he was the best little hay hauler I had. :)
A snatch block would have sure helped on that big log.
Thanks!

beenthere

Wow, second family coming along now. smiley_thumbsup
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

2StateTrigger

Quote from: jrose1970 on April 01, 2015, 04:16:01 PM
http://www.portablewinch.com/

Eureka!! Now I just need $1500 bucks. LOL
That is a pretty amazing little tool.

Go find yourself someone who owns one of the deuce and a half military transport 6x6 trucks that have the original winches installed on the front bumper.  Those winches are either a 10k lb winch or you might get lucky to find a 20k lb winch. 

You might be able to offer the owner $200 to pull it out.....Worth a try.....
Molon Labe

jrose1970

You are right 2StateTrigger,  one of those trucks would be great. My brother has a Korean war time 4x4 army jeep, and it will go anywhere!  I'm looking at some old used PTO winches. They are pretty reasonable.
The farmiwinches would be a dream, but I can't quite afford it just yet.  BTW Welcome to the FF!

2StateTrigger

Quote from: jrose1970 on November 10, 2015, 08:19:09 AM
You are right 2StateTrigger,  one of those trucks would be great. My brother has a Korean war time 4x4 army jeep, and it will go anywhere!  I'm looking at some old used PTO winches. They are pretty reasonable.
The farmiwinches would be a dream, but I can't quite afford it just yet.  BTW Welcome to the FF!

JRose1970, check this website out.... www.SteelSoldiers.com   Lots of nice hardware....I'm going to be purchasing one real soon......
Molon Labe

jrose1970

Thank You Sponsors!