iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Close call

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, June 28, 2004, 02:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

Last weekend I was doing some road maintenance on an old logging trail through our place in West Virginia with the Skid Steer, I got a little off the downhill side of the trail and next thing I knew it was sliding sideways off the trail. It was a LONG few seconds while I was droping the bucket and hoping it wouldn't roll. I came to rest off the trail at a steep angle, was able to spin the skid steer so it was facing downhill and use the bucket to help me walk it back up on the trail. It has a full ROPS and will not run unless you are buckled in but man that shook me up. I didn't quit for the day but I did put some large rocks along that edge.

I am not a cowboy, I am usually very safe when operating equipment I just misjudged that one.

I'm headed to walmart to buy som new shorts.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Fla._Deadheader

Whew. Glad yer OK. Do you have an escape route outta that rig, in case it goes bottom-side-upwards???

I always felt trapped in one of them things. Only way out was through the front, over the bucket ??? ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Rocky_J

QuoteI didn't quit for the day but I did put some large rocks along that edge.
If it had been me, the large rocks would have been the ones in my shorts!  :o Like F-D, I tend to feel rather claustrophobic in those things. Visibility stinks also, so I can't see beside or behind me. I don't think I'd be willing to run one of those things except on open, level ground.

Cedarman

Our New Holland has an escape hatch overhead. I need to know it is there, but I hope I never need it there.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Fla._Deadheader

If your on your lid, is there another way out??? Is there a possibility of fuel leaking out the fill tube when it's upside down??? Fire scares me more than anything.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

beenthere

Bobcat has an escape out the rear "window", and I would assume because they are diesel, not a real danger of fire. But who is sticking around to find out, as I'd be leavin' as soon as I could read up on all the 'directions' of how to do it  ;D.  

Being upside-down with that safety bail around ones legs must be tricky to figure out too (when in that position), and I don't ever want to learn the hard way.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Frickman

This past spring an inexperienced fellow was loading fertilizer with a skidsteer for me at the feed mill. He was running full speed with the loaded bucket up high and him looking below it. One trip he hit a bump on the ground and over it went on it's nose. They had to bring in the big high lift to right it. Fortunately noone was hurt, but the owner wasn't too pleased.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

rebocardo

> Only way out was through the front, over the bucket

I know what you mean, I do not think I would operate one alone unless I had a small bolt cutter secured to the driver's seat to cut my way out of the mesh.

Weekend_Sawyer

My New Holland has a pop out rear window, there is a triangular tag at the top of it, pull the tap and the window gasket comes out and you can climb out, I hope, as youall said before, I don't ever want to know.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

OneWithWood

Jon, I am glad you only scared yourself and did not get hurt.  That sliding feeling is weird.  It happened to me on my JD450 crawler on frozen gound.  It did not roll and I was able to straighten it up and get off the incline.  It has full ROPS and the very next day I installed a seat belt. :o
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Egon

On crawler machines metal lugs can be welded to the grousers to help stop side slip on frozen ground.

Egon

OneWithWood

Egon,

Please elaborate on the metal lugs.  I assume you are suggesting welding the lug perpendicular to the grouser cleat.  Is that correct?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!