iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who's who of campers

Started by 4x4American, May 06, 2018, 11:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

I need a camper to live in full time.  Wondering what brands are the Wood-Mizer/Caterpillar of the camper world.  I don't know a thing about em.  I'm gonna park it outside the sawmill and live there so want something well built.  The local RV place has a nice looking Jayco HT 27.5 RLTS that I like the size and layout of.  But, online it's advertised that it's so light a half ton can pull it.  So to me that means it's lightly built, and I found alot of mixed reviews online about their company.  Also, what are the things to look for in a used camper?  I've read before to make sure the fridge and stuff works.  Oh, and how are campers heated for the winter?  I imagine I can't really heat it with a wood stove...the Jayco I was looking at looked like it had one of those propane fireplaces, is that usually how they're heated?  I will have electric so I would be looking for a fridge that runs off electric, I hear some are propane fridges but do they also work on electric or are they all or...?  Thanks in advance for any help!
Boy, back in my day..

69bronco

I don't think you'd be too happy come January! Most of them have 1 1/2" of insulation,  a lot of the older ones that insulation has settled down some. They use a propane forced air heater that puts out a fair amount of condensation,  you'd be dripping inside during a long cold spell. If your going to look, look out for leaky roofs especially where they meet the walls. Tell tale signs are buckled siding. Maybe keep an eye out for a park model, (intended to be set up permanently ) they sometimes are built with at least 2x4 walls. You could always do a roof over, basically park it under a little pole barn. We owned a campground for years, seen all makes and models. Dang few I'd wanna winter in up here.

4x4American

Thanks 69..so maybe I'd be better off with an actual house trailer?  What I like about the camper is that it's self contained, ready to go, I could be living in the thing the day I get it.
Boy, back in my day..

47sawdust

You work too hard not to comfortable at night.I'd suggest a mobile home or single wide.Some of the single wide mfg.build a pretty good product.You also might consider a small mfg.home.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

DPatton

4x4,
There are so many camper brands and floor plans out there your choices are limitless. The price range for campers is also limitless depending on what you choose. My new camper is also advertised as 1/2 ton towable however weighing in at over 9200 lbs dry weight I hardly consider it 1/2 ton towable.

The majority of campers are heated by a propane forced air furnace although many of the newer models offer an electric fireplace with a blower that is mostly for the charm of having a fireplace but does offer some limited heating capabilities.

Your options in refrigerators has come a long way in recent years too. You can still get the typical electric / propane fridge that is good for when you don't have an electrical hookup. I have found that most manufactures are now offering models with standard full sizes kitchen refrigerators that run off of electricity only or for a limited time it can run off of a power inverter built in to the camper.

Modern campers have come a long way with R-values and heated underbelly for true four season usage. Be careful as not all campers are rated for four season use. Air conditioning is also another variable to consider along with bathroom fixture layout and shower sizes. Exterior siding types, window types, and roofing are highly important to the overall experience and matainence requirements.

The camper manufactures are subject to different code requirements than your typical house build and quality can vary greatly. Do your homework and find a floor plan that works for you. There are a lot of choices out there for you.

All this said I would have to agree with everything 69bronco and 47sawdust said in their posts.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Ljohnsaw

I have a pop-up tent trailer - hard top but canvas bunk ends with a slide out dinette (canvas).  It has a 3-way fridge - Propane, AC and DC.  DC will kill a battery in an hour or so.  The fridge works better on propane but with any source, you only can expect about a 25 to 30° F differential from the ambient.  So, out here, you are battling the day time temps to keep your food from spoiling and then the night time temps you will freeze everything if you don't adjust it!

Since you have AC power, I wouldn't worry about what it has (could get a lower price with a broken fridge), rip it out and put a dorm fridge in there.

For heat, not only will the propane cause condensation (I woke up to it raining on me, dripping off the canvas), you will eat a lot of propane.  Again, since you have electricity, use electric ceramic heaters.

Insulation, who needs that!  Just get a good sleeping bag :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

69bronco

Quote from: 4x4American on May 06, 2018, 11:40:18 AM
Thanks 69..so maybe I'd be better off with an actual house trailer?  What I like about the camper is that it's self contained, ready to go, I could be living in the thing the day I get it.
If you wanna do the camper thing, I'd seriously suggest you look for a park model. Not sure if you know what they are, it's a kinda miniature mobile home with camper amenities. They fall under the 400 something sq ft rule so they can't call it a mobile home and tax you for it. They come up pretty regular for sale, check the local campgrounds best bet. I'll keep a look out up here and forward any I see if you want.

Southside

Goshen, IN is basically ground zero for camper / RV production in the US, many new and used sales yards there too.  Even with a true 4 season unit in your neck of the woods you will probably want to skirt / insulate and over roof it.  For as much money as these things cost - there are a lot of cheap materials and such used in them, they have gotten better in the past 15 years, but stuff does not hold up to abuse well, so look over any used ones very closely.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

4x4
You could build a closed in pole shed
Put the camper in that and heat the pole shed with wood and live in the camper.
I all so seen a tiny house for sale in Vt
Brand new trailer and framed in just needs the interior finished.
That could be an option for ya
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

dgdrls

Doug,

Build a garage with living space above
or  a tiny pad home,   trailers are not made to be lived in
24/7 365   

You can buy a tiny home off Amazon for less than a trailer,

D

moodnacreek

Agreeing with others, it must be under a roof with overhang because my campers always leaked in the seams and by the time you know the damage is done.

submarinesailor

If I was going to do it (and had the money), I would look at Airstream trailers.  IMHO, they are the Woodmizer of travel trailers.  This article has some info about living full time in a travel trailer:  How to Live in a Travel Trailer Full-Time | Hunker.

Again, if I had the money, an Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB would be the one I would pick.  Something like some of these would do very nicely:  As the winter stretches on, life is pretty quiet for me. One good thing about hibernating is you get to think. And putter around th... | Pinterest | Stretc?

Bruce

Ron Scott

Some good advice given. The colder the weather, the more difficult the living becomes in a standard camper. Their will be reoccurring freeze-ups and you will burn pounds of propane to keep warm. Electric heaters can be hooked up to ease the propane problems. You should also be connected to a permanent septic system since holding tanks need regular dumping at a dump station. 

Check if there is local zoning that may regulate long term camper living in your area. As previously mentioned, Small Homes and also,Yurts are becoming popular dwellings at a low cost.

~Ron

Crusarius

I think I would be more apt to just buy a prebuilt cabin and drop it on the site. Unless you have a need to move it the prebuilt cabin be great. might even be able to get a cabin kit with full bathroom.

goose63

The camper that i have has 1x1 studs there si no staying warm when it gets cold.

And most of the older one's the roof will have leaks mine did and the backe end is all rotted out thats how i know it has 1x1 studs in it.

Heck you have a sawmill build your self a tiney house that way you will have it the way want it.
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

luvmexfood

What ever you decide make sure it has a full size fridge. Nothing sucks more than going to the store and getting a few things and they won't fit in the fridge. Plus none will keep a little ice creme frozen if you like a little. Watermelon's won't fit.

At one time Home Depot sold a rather larger building with two floors. Add a little leanto off the back for a bathroom and you are good to go. Got all summer to insulate, sheetrock etc. Plus if your local building inspector is not to nosy you can get a permit for a storage building for the mill and do as you want with it. Know you could do that cheaper than any camper. They can have you under roof in two or three days. Shop around at Lowe's or Home Depot for dented appliances and sometimes they can be had for a steal. Lot's of the dent's are on the sides. With a building you can be careful when running you wiring and plumbing and make it virtually rodent proof.

Whatever you decide don't rush into a bad decision. Think it thru for the long term.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

4x4American

Yea the thing I like about the camper is it's self contained and I can be living in it the same day I pull in with it. I'll build something down the road but for now I just need somewhere quick.  The clay soil here isn't something you can just quick slap a septic in.  Or running power and wiring it.  Log buyer I know told me he used to live in a camper on the job in the early years.  I'm gonna pick his brains about it too..Do what ya gotta do!  Thanks every1
Boy, back in my day..

nativewolf

Won't  you have a sewage problem if you dont' have a septic tank? Otherwise you are getting porta john pump trucks out all the time to pump the dump.  you may get rid of some of that issue by running shower/gray water our a line (works in summer) but in winter that won't work either. 

I don't see you you could live in a camper in winter up there without some sort of hookup for the waste.  We have VA red clay here (well it goes from here to MS in the Piedmont belt of all SE coastal states to be honest) and sometimes it is pretty high shrink swell coefficient.  In which case...it is tough to get a perk.  Is that your issue?   I think I'd get the tiny house and have a septic put in this summer so that by fall your waste wouldn't freeze and you could take an honest shower.  
Liking Walnut

Bruno of NH

4x4 gear
Look up the Carage house in White River Jct. VT
I think they have small cabins already built you could live in.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

DDW_OR

some questions:
1 - are you the only one going to be living in it?
2 - Just for the warmer months, or all year?
3 - RV or Toyhauler
4 - have you thought of the Escape, Scamp, or Casita

The 19 Foot Escape

Casita is a spinoff of Scamp.
Travel Trailer Luxury for Couples | The Casita Freedom | Casita Travel Trailers - America's Favorite Lightweight Travel Trailers!

If you have electricity at the mill then add a two burner hot plate and 120v lights
"let the machines do the work"

samandothers

We stay in our camper in Va. mountains for days at a time.  However when outside temps are to hit 25 or so we don't stay there.  The water line freezes near the low point drains or near the fresh tank outlet.  I have been under the camper more than once with a hairdryer trying to thaw frozen pipes.  It is not a 4 season unit for sure.  We do have it under an aluminum cover which helps with weather and gives us a place outside to sit if it is raining.

I would seek a more insulated domicile!

DelawhereJoe

WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Gary_C

That link above is a good one.

I have a 5th wheel camper that I live in year round on the job. I looked for a long time till I found one I could afford and was made for cold weather. The first thing to look for is thermo pane (double glass) windows. Most likely any cold weather camper will have an Artic package.

The problem of condensation that has been mentioned is not caused by the propane fired heating system but rather poorly insulated windows and walls that condense the moisture inside the camper when high humidity air inside hits the cold surfaces. I have lived in an older travel trailer and you could never see out of the windows because of the frost on the inside of the single pane windows. I spent one night in the camper when it was -36 F and the propane tank froze up and the heater was blowing cold air. I was comfy under my electric blanket but I packed up the next morning and went home. 

In the fall when it started to freeze, I always winterized the water and sewer system for the winter. I kept a five gallon jug of water in the camper for mostly hand washing and cooking. Usually went home once a week for laundry and showers. For the potty, I just bought a porta potty and emptied it when ever it got full or before I let the heat go off. It was a pain as even with chemicals it smells.

I knew of a contractor that built houses year around and he took an older camper and rebuilt the inside with 2x4 walls, insulation and house windows. Of course he built the water system fully insulated so it was like a mini home. As other people have said they do make what's called a park model that is fully ready for cold weather.

You would have an advantage over me with full time electricity. In most of my locations in the woods I live with a battery bank, inverter and portable generator.

It's doable but takes some careful preparation. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

thecfarm

A couple was satayng in a camper while building thier house. They left the camper halfway through the winter.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!