iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Curly Cherry ??

Started by Glenn1, December 31, 2015, 10:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn1

I got back a lot of 4/4 and 8/4 cherry from my sawmill.  Here is a picture of a board in the group.  Actually, I have quite a few that look just like this.

I will be kiln drying these boards and wonder what the going price should be when I sell them.

Glenn
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

dustyhat

Now thats a eye catcher piece of wood. would like to see more pics of that.

Peter Drouin

Nice, With all the Cherry I have cut in all the years I never seen anything like that.
$12.00 a BF and up. 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Nomad

Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

That will make you dizzy looking at it.  :o   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kensfarm

I'd would want to make a table out of it.. Did the outside log show any signs of being different?

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

Well.WDH all I can say is wow on the price of some of the wood in the pic from PA.
I have sold some that looked like some of what they have for 2.00 a BF. Did not know I was giving it away. :D :D
But , I have never had a customer would pay that much for wood.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

69bronco

Quote from: WDH on January 02, 2016, 07:06:00 AM
Spectacular.  Here is one source of info in PA.

http://www.irionlumber.com/index.php?page=prices---cherry
Interesting link, thanks for posting it. Would like to see Max's mill!

Glenn1

Quote from: kensfarm on January 02, 2016, 12:06:05 AM
I'd would want to make a table out of it.. Did the outside log show any signs of being different?

There were 9 logs in the purchase and one log did show some pattern when the bark was removed.  Not sure if this is the log or not. 
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Glenn1

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 01, 2016, 07:20:35 AM
Nice, With all the Cherry I have cut in all the years I never seen anything like that.
$12.00 a BF and up. 8)

That is a number that I can live with...... :)

Magicman

I have sawed only one Cherry log that showed curl, but it did not compare with that one above.

The cant.

Three boards.  This was part of a wall paneling job.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Joey Grimes

I built a curly cherry chest of drawers and was short by 10 bf I looked everywhere and found some at Atlanta hardwoods if I Rembert correctly I paid about 20.00 bf.
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

YellowHammer

Quote from: kensfarm on January 02, 2016, 12:06:05 AM
Did the outside log show any signs of being different?
Most times it can be recognized on the bark, which will be visibly ridged, or on the end of the log, where the heartwood/sapwood interface will not be smooth, but will be noticeably scalloped.  Magic's photo clearly shows the discontinuities in the heartwood and sapwood ring that can be spotted when looking at the end of the log.

It's actually pretty easy to detect, especially with bucked logs, and since I buy my cherry from a log yard where there may be dozens, if not hundreds of cherry logs, spotting the odd curly cherry is an easy way to make a better profit.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Greyhound

If you ever want to see some more cool curly cherry, take a look here:  http://horizonevolutions.com/online-inventory/online_landing.html  These guys are in the absolute dead center of the heart of cherry country and they are a very nice, family owned business.  Two thumbs up.

WDH

There is a market out there.  You just have to research it.  Pretty easy to do on-line to test what other knowledgeable sellers are selling that particular item for.  Some sellers post their prices openly.  Others do not, but enough do to allow you get get a handle on what the selling prices are. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!