iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mills in SW Colorado?

Started by Drum, July 18, 2004, 09:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drum

Are there any mills in Southwest Colorado? I'm going to be in the area first week in August and would like to visit a mill or two.

Bibbyman

T_J is out in Olathe,CO.

T_J

Check out the Member Map on the tool bar above to spot his tree.

A couple of years ago Mary and I noticed a Wood-Mizer mill in Durango Colorado and stopped in to visit with them.   We also saw from the highway two other Wood-Mizer mills set up - one east of Durango and the other west.

P.S.  If you are interested in looking at a mill  :o and talking to the owner,  you can contact the mill companies (one of the Forum Sponsors would be nice) and ask for contact info. of owers in an area that welcome people stopping by and demoing their mills.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Teddles

There is a guy with a Peterson mill in Colorado who wouldn't mind showing you how he uses his mill. He has a 10" 24hp Winch Production Frame. Send me an email if you'd like his contact details.

TJ

Drum,

Greetings from S.W. Co.
Sorry to be so late responding to your post.Computer problems most all summer long , or maybe computer operator.

Anyhoo, plenty of logging and sawing activity in western Co.
My new saw has been somewhat busy building my Wife a new house.HA!!

My experience in sawmilling, is new. But my experience in buying native materials for my woodworking buisness is not.
I have some names if you are still looking.

PM me,  I will help you all I can.

PS. Bring your trout rod.

Terry Boyle

VA-Sawyer

TJ,

It sounds like you got a mill. How about an update on what is happening with it ?
VA-Sawyer

TJ

Hi VA-Sawyer,
Thanks for helping with the decision about which mill to buy.
The 1988 LT40hyd, that I asked you about, well no doubt it is probably doing a fine job for someone, but my lack of mechanical skills told me to pass.
So instead, I wrote out the fat check, got a new LT40H-EFI-28.
Never looked back. HA!!!!! No regrets.

The hour meter is just about to turn onto 40 hrs. So still very much learning.

Sawed about1,200 bd.ft of Doug Fir into T&G siding for the new house. Left the sawn face out, planed the inside , for an accurate 7/8" siding. The saw did real well. WM set me up with blades they thought would get me through the desert dry Knotty Doug Fir,the bands (045-9deg,I think) did real well.

Bought 2 Walnut logs , from the want ads, couple weeks ago, 22"x 10', sawed the blazes out of both of them. Nails and all.!!!
Hit six 16d nails, they looked to be in pairs, probably a kid-ladder. No complaints here, I've spiked a few tree ladders , when I was a kid. The lumber is Beautiful.

To be honest, I had no idea, sawmilling would be this enjoyable. Every slice of Walnut that came off the saw was a thrill to this old woodworkers eyes.

Been taking pics, all along, and Bibbyman did his best to help me with posting them, but, I just need to learn more about how to use this PC, and the photo stuff that came with my camera. I won't give up, pics will be on thier way.
Happy Trails, Terry Boyle

PS- Thanks for this Forum.

Gilman

I look forward to the pic's  8)

I have 45 hrs total, so if you have any questions  :D
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

TJ

Gilman,
Ya got me chuckling with the 45 hours thing. I'll get started on my list of questions.

No doubt your having some bigtime fun with your new mill,and pictures to prove it!!!!!. Good for you, good for your family, they aint afraid to jump in. Thats the cool part, Lots of FF members seem to do a great job of including the family in the sawing process.

Keep Looking Down,
Good Luck,  TJ

VA-Sawyer

Terry,
Thanks for the update. I'd wondered more than once how you made out on things. Sounds like you are doing pretty well. I keep saying that sawing logs is like opening up Christmas presents. Usualy it is pretty nice, sometimes it's GREAT and sometimes all you get is socks and underwear.  :D
Have a good one,
VA-Sawyer

Thank You Sponsors!