iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Full Membership Board???

Started by Rookie, September 07, 2004, 07:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rookie

Apparently, I'm an idiot.  I haven't been able to find out how to sign up and/or access the full membership board.  Can someone clue me in on how to do this?
Thanks,
Rookie

Gilman

You have to have more posts.  Someone will know the number, something like 50 I think.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Jeff

Its not exactly 50 or exactly 100. Its not automatic and it can happen suddenly or take some time. For a few it may never happen at all. Its one of those things that once earned, just happens.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Rookie

It's kind of frustrating that you're involved in an e-mail chain about a topic (and get numerous auto-messages), and aren't able to interact about that particular topic any longer.  I'm wondering why a "hot topic" would be moved to an area that would disallow full discussion?

Are there some here that feel privileged enough to segregate discussion based on a certain set of parameters?  Please advise...

Jeff

Comments like that get you no where with me. I guess somebody else better answer this.

The only thing I will suggest now is that you might discontinue the notify by clicking on the notification button on the tool bar.

Buzz-sawyer

I believe it was moved to block the instigator..... :)more to it than meets the eye..........sometimes admins have to deal with online trolls ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Jeff

QuoteAre there some here that feel privileged enough to segregate discussion based on a certain set of parameters?  Please advise...

I have thought about this a little longer.
And my answer is. Yes.

woodman

When your time tested Jeff lets you in
         if your a good person
             if your not ooooo
                just kiding
                   maby not
Jim Cripanuk

Rookie

Thanks Buzz.  I can understand if the administrator is dealing with stuff that he believes is unhealthy for this board.    He'd only have to say as much.

Jeff-
I really wasn't intending anything by that comment beyond what I stated.  It's like reading half a book and having it destroyed before being able to finish it.  I find most of the interaction informative and healthy.  It's troubling that you've taken my comments so defensively.

Jeff

Read your comments. I take them as they were written.

"Are there some here that feel privileged enough to segregate discussion based on a certain set of parameters?  Please advise... "  

That statement says a whole lot.

If thats not what you meant to say, then no prob-e-lem.

ScottAR

Before things escalate, I will try and offer some perspective... I may fail but I will try.   :D

The registration process is here to discourage wandering noismakers that are looking for a sounding board and also to provide info to other users as to who is saying what and where they are from.  

After registration is a probationary period of sorts where the users and administration can see what kinda man/lady one is gonna be and how one handles controversial situations.  This weeds out any noisemakers that are left.  

After the full membership level is reached, all areas of the site are available including the full membership section where sometimes controversial threads are moved and or off topic things are discussed.  

The full member section de clutters the main forums from noise and discourages the noismakers from posting.  These things in the long run make a more enjoyable and productive place of knowledge which is why we're all here to begin with.  

Ultimately, everybody but admin. and the sponsors are guests, including myself.  I'm not paying anything to visit  here.  So I, for one, consider it the same as if I was visiting at a neighbor's house.  I'll get down from the soapbox now...  good evening...  
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Gilman

Scott,
I for one, think you summed it up.  

Jeff was right about speaking his mind, I myself woud have preferred to hear what he really wanted to post.  But... this is the FF and I appreciate Jeff's patience.

I think we all have something to learn from this example. I just sent a customer an email of a crock pot full of humble soup. It opened my eyes a bit.

I've thought of FF as a big playground prior, but it's not. Not tha we shouldn't have fun here. The admins here guide us kids running around having fun and we usually don't even notice it. Sometimes, well, uncomfortable things sprout up that they simmer it down and I appreciate it. I'm here to learn about sawing and have fun but if you let me go long enough, you all will get to see Jeff send me to a "time out" that I'm sure I'll deserve.

I'd love to stand behind my constitional right of free speach and say whatever I wanted. But then again I'd offened about 50% of the group, loose 50% of potential friends, and I really never had thir right in the first place.This is a forum that FF pays for, maintains, and supervises. If I want the right to scream whatever I want I need to start the DG.com site and administer it myself.

Thanks for teaching me something today Jeff.  And to all you Admins, we all appreciate your work.

Gilman
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

rebocardo

> Are there some here that feel privileged enough
> to segregate discussion

Yes, the host of the party.

I have always viewed it as being a guest in someone else's house. The host always has the right to only allow certain trusted guests to use the master bedroom bath or to walk through the bedroom area.

Others have to stay in the common areas such as the kitchen and living room until they show themselves worthy of being in the 2nd floor area.

The host of the party has every right to demand that only certain words and conversation happen in certain areas, away from younger people. Or to say, drink whatever you want, but, do not carry a beer into the children's party room downstairs or use foul language in front of them.

When a guest at a party, it might be better to whisper in the host's ear and ask to use the upstairs bathroom, pretty please, instead of getting on top of a foot stool and yelling in the middle of a crowded living room "He gets to use the bathroom upstairs, why can't I".

Just how I view things.

sigidi

Here Here :D

Rookie - don't take this personally, but written words come out very flat with no emphasis on them, for myself, I read your discussed sentance and instantly sucked my breath in, waiting for responses. It may not have been meant to offend anyone when you wrote it, but try and read your words without putting any emotion or emphasis on them and sometimes things can come out very ambiguously, just a tip from someone who started a three year family rift by communication through email and not using voice ;D
But it wasn't my fault, honest.

Lets hear 3 cheers for the admins...

Oh one last thing, whats the procedure with our own 'personal forests' that's what I tell my wife I'm striving for - all those pretty FF tree's under our names?

Oh and another last thing - don't think of yourself as an idiot Rookie, I didn't even know there was a full membership board!!!
Always willing to help - Allan

music_boy

I think I might shed some light here as well. I'm pretty sure the thread you are talking about was the 50 billion dollar thing. Good example there of how "flat" written statements can be mis-read. It just got worse from there. In amoment of stupidity on my part, I wrote a response to that individual that was inappropriate. After I did, I wished I hadn't but it was already posted. I worried about it all the next day. When I got home from work and logged in to see if I had lost some friends for the comment, I found it had been moved and an e-mail from  the adminstrator. I very nicely, and appropriately had my "wrist slapped." The comment had been pulled from the forum by the admin. on duty. I can't tell you how glad I was those guys were watching and did that. I learned that at least one of them is watching 24\7. I promptly e-mailed an apology and thanked them.
      This is a wonderful forum. I have seen other forums end up as a place for arguments etc. and most folks with constructive contributions never return.
      Just an example of my experience and how it worked for me.
      I didn't know there was a full board either.  ;D
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

MrMoo

I think Sigi makes a valid point. Written words here on the forum or in an email do not have any emphasis or lack thereof. You also cannot look into the person's face. You always have to be careful what you put into written form.

I think we are allowed lots of freedom of what we can say here. The admins do a great job.

slowzuki

The details of the board are laid out when you sign up.

Appreciate admin/mods work hard to keep the quality of posts up to make the board useful for its members. Moving, deleteing, banning members are the few tools they have.

It won't always please everyone, but the admin must balance their available time, available tools and other things.

beenthere

Good comments.
The rest of us can help the newcomers get off on the right foot, and feel welcome. We can, at least give them the benefit of any doubt, that they are asking a legitimate question and that they will have a receptive attitude when help is generously offerred.
So, sticking around through some thick and thin at the start, will eventually allow the cream to come to the top. Its best to give it some time and good things will become apparent, IMO.

I remember when I first joined, and wondered "What is going on here?".  I am glad I stuck around and found out. So many have so much to offer, it doesn't become clear if one just takes a 'snapshot' of a few days of postings. It takes much longer than that.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

VA-Sawyer

Think of this forum as a little like a courtroom. As an attorney you can state your case and disagree with the other attorney. You can even disagree with the Judge ( Jeff ?  ;) ) but, you better show some respect while doing so. You can even think of the other attorney as being a moron... you just can't call him one in open court.  If you mind your P's & Q's here on the Forum like you would in a courtroom, then all will be well in the Forest.
VA-Sawyer
P.S. Judges and Lawyers do party.... just not in the courtroom!  ;D

PS PS  As an example of giving consideration to how your words will be received. I did 5 previews and 5 edits before this version was posted. Hope it doesn't offend too many.  ;D

sandmar

DanG...I can't keep up with the everyday posts,much less have time for investigating the full membership board...which sounds like where the headaches are. Now see......you could read that 2 ways......1. that problem posts are sent to the full board...2. that the full board is a problem. I hope it is obvious that I did NOT mean number 2...but with e-mail you never know how someone will interpret something. I truly appreciate this being a place that is calm and informative.....it takes a LOT of unseen work to keep it that way!

Sandmar

leweee

Three cheers for the administraters. 8) 8) 8) Someone has to run herd on use kids. ;D I view the Full Members Board as a place to vent some steam without offending the guests....or the members too much. ::) Checks & Balances are needed. These fellows do a great job! ;D Keep up the good work. :) leweee
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

woodhaven

All of you make good points. I never thought of how something may have sounded that I mayself may have said. Now I will end up rereading all my own post. ::)
Richard

WoodChucker

QuoteAll of you make good points. I never thought of how something may have sounded that I mayself may have said. Now I will end up rereading all my own post. ::)

You don't have to go back and read your 394 post, just be more careful in the future.  ;D  ;D

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Rookie

Thanks all.  I regret having "worded" things the way I did, but I'll be more careful about it in the future.  I now how a much different perspective on the way these boards work.

Perhaps Jeff should've also told me to re-read my first sentence on this thread ("I guess I'm an idiot").  Oh well, I didn't mean to offend anyone, and I hope you guys will accept my apologies for how things sounded...Live and Learn!

etat

Not giving any advice, just an observation about the way I feel.

The reason I like to hang around here is the people. There's lots and lots of knowledgeable people, and information on this board, and I have learned quite a bit.  Combine that with just a little bit of fun now and again, and sometimes just a little bit of mischief, and this becomes a mighty fine place to visit and hang out.  There's quite a few discussions about different things and if they ever turn into an argument or monotonous or ugly then one of the administrators steps in and removes the thread, or the posts, from public view. Mostly they just dissappear. Not because they're trying to hide things.  Their point is to make ane keep  this a much nicer place to visit.  Both for the members themselves and the general people who just pass by and read.

Jeff started this forum out of his own pocket.  It wasn't started by advertisers or a special interest group. . Building this house must have been an absolutely amazing journey for him. He keeps a clean house.

Because of this forum that he created he can now count his friends in the hundreds. I don't know many people who can do that.  I, and many many others think of him as the boss.  And we all mean that without exception in a very good way.  

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Mobilesawyer

Hi Jeff:
I'd sure like to become a member. I am not the most prolific poster I admitt but I don't think I've stepped on any toes.

Tom_Averwater

Rookie,
       I've been following this forum for 3 + years and I'm still not a full member.I'm usually on here every day reading posts. I'm more of a reader and thinker than a writer. Usually somebody has already posted what I thought about. O well ,maybe someday I'll be a full member.
            Tom 8)
He who dies with the most toys wins .

beenthere

Mobilesawyer
Tell us about yourself, and if you would, fill in your bio etc.
Offer your opinions on subjects close to you, and on those on which you have additional information. We can probably learn a lot from you.
When it (membership thingy) happens, you probably will notice.  :)   I didn't, but you might.
We won't bite (might just 'gum' it a bit, but we don't call it a real 'bite'  ::)  ;D ).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Now there are a couple guys I just flat out over looked and I am sorry.  Post counts arn't all I go by. Sometimes its not and should not be a factor at all.  :)

beerguy

I have been reading for a little over a year, but I do not post much. I do not know enough about milling to post. I will say that I have learned as much from reading this forum than I have from using my sawmill. Thanks, guys.

iain

i didnt notice for quite a while that i could enter

"THE FULL MEMBER SECTION"

i followed a post and was in not quite sure how i earned the entrance fee :D

iain

Sackett

I havetwo computers in the house,different sign-in names oneach. Bad idea,but not the first on I've had . Full member on one and not the other,drives me nuts when my main computer is on the fritz,or when the wife is using it,and I have to use this one.
   That said,Jeff and the other administrators do an outstanding job of keeping this forum one of the best run that I have found.Seldom do we have the snarling and backbiting ,and name calling and general bad behavior here that is found in so many other places. Every time that I have had my wrist slapped,and not really that many,when I went back and read what I had posted,I had to agree with their decisiun.
   GOOD WORK GUYS

Jeff

There is absolutely no reason why you can not be signed in on two different computers with the same login. Using two user names is confusing to the other members. You should really delete the one and use only the other. On both computers. :)

The cookie that keeps you signed on only tells who you are. It does not keep any other information. The forum keeps all information for you on what you have read and what you haven't, your profile, everything.

Thank You Sponsors!