iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sharpening & setting

Started by beerguy, September 11, 2004, 01:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beerguy

I am about to start sharpening with a chain grinder, a 511A type unit. A few stoopid Q's:

Do I set every time I sharpen?

Do I set first , sharpen second, or vice versa?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Tom

It doesn't hurt to set every time you sharpen.  You don't always have to do so, though.  Sharpening costs you about a thousandths (or two) of set each time,  Use can cause an individual tooth to be off-set by hitting hardplaces in the wood, like a knot.  Hitting metal definitely screws up the set.  A mis-aligned guide can cause the flattening of set on one side of the blade, so can setting the blade down on the cant or running it too far back in the guides so tht the teeth touch the guides and/or the bandwheel.

When you set is personal preference and there are valid arguements for both, before and after sharpening.

I set first and then sharpen because it saves me the time of having to rub the "burr" off of the blade that is created when the tooth is ground..

Here is what I do.
Take the band from the mill and turn it inside out, fold it and put it on the truck. (if I try to put it back on the mill, I'll know right away something is wrong.)

When I get home, I put the band on the setter and set one side.

Then I turn the band inside out and set the other side.( it is now ready be sharpened.

I grind the blade on the sharpener by keeping in mind the phrase, "Light is right".

I coil the blade and put it back on the truck.  (It's ready to go}

==================
Search the forum for threads about sharpenig.
Look in the knowledge base
Look in my little web-site www.tomssaw.com
Here's one link

Thank You Sponsors!