iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dry logs

Started by stumpy, September 19, 2004, 06:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

A customer of mine asked me to saw some logs he has left over from a log home kit. All I know is they are pine and have been sitting outside loosly covered in Northern Wisconsin. I don't know when they were milled or if they were dried.
MY QUESTION:
What should I have him do with them after sawing?
Stack and sticker?
Air dry or Kiln?
Any other thoughts?
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

leweee

Depends..... what does the customer want to do with the final product.? :P what size diamentional lumber, beams or boards? :P what kind of Pine? :P Depends ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Ianab

I think you need to work out how dry they are now then decide what to do.
If you cut one open and get a sample then you can determine how dry it is, either with a moisture meter or drying a sample in a microwave and using accurate scales. If the moisture is over 15 - 20% then it will need to be stickered to let it dry some more. If you aren't sure, sticker them, it wont hurt if they are already air dry. Kiln or air drying depends on what he intends to use it for. If it's inside the house it should be kiln dried, if he wants to make a fence or a shed, air dried will probably do.

All depends... :D , but work out how dry they are, that will help you decide what you need to do next.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!