iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Baker 18 HD bandsaw mill

Started by bgautsch, July 28, 2003, 10:19:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgautsch

Greetings,

I last posted serveral months ago asking for comments on the Woodmizer LT 15 and the TimberKing 1220.  Continuing my research with a partner in interest now, we are about to write the check for the Candian made Baker 18 HD with some accessories and length to saw 22' logs.  Anyone have comments to share or experience with this particuliar mill?  We would appreciate input. Our purposes include a new home, outbuildings and specialty sawing for bookmatch and turning stock.

take care and have a great day sawing,

Bill
bgautsch

Noble_Ma

I've owned the Baker 18HD for about a year and a half now.  I love the machine and have had no problems to date.  Brian and Fred up in Canada are first rate guys and are always willing to help out.  Enjoy you're new mill.

burlman

afternoon all. I'm in my 16th year with my  silva saw, which was the former name before they were bought out by baker. My only major problem with the mill was the hydraulic moter to raise the saw head wore out after 4000 hrs. Once we finally pinpointed what the problem was, I bought another moter at a local shop,cheaper than the factory replacement costs. It was a bit of time however to get all the shrapnel out of the valve bank and lines. The rest of the history was just routine maintenance and changeing the odd where part. I don't know if they still use that exposed worm gear assembly on the raiseing system on the end of the hydraulic moter. That was a goof in design, the manual says to grease daily, but the weight of the saw head wheres it off pretty quick, and premature wear occurs. I finally got fed up after I had to purchase a new gear set, I fixed the problem with a soup can and a pair of tin snips. I made an oil bath for it and that was the end of that problem. I wish you all the luck in your new adventure, You are lucky to have us pioneers ahead of you who had to work out all the bugs for the company, you get an improved machine,...burlman...

Sawing Logz

I have looked at and seen demo's of the larger  Baker and WM LT40 Super Hydro. I bought a Timer Harvester 36HTD30. Reson you ask I was first thinking of the small Baker 18HD and found out, that dollar for dollar the larger machine could give me better size's for building a home( some support beams can be a pain with a small engine, point sawing oak, elm,hickory,and maple. The resale on the larger machine was not a point I considered I did not loan it out to buy. Also when sawing figured hardwood's you have greater potential for figuired crotch wood with an extra 6 inches of width than with extra feet in lenght. Now this is just my personal idea's. And the cost of the mill for the return justiftied the extra money.

Best of Luck!
City Forrest Treecycler

AtLast

I own a Baker 30HTL. Quite a machine. I need the portability so wanted to stay away from too large a unit. Almost went with the 3638 HD but again I found it too big for my application. I have cut everything from the softest of woods to pignut hickory and it handled it perfectly. I find that MOST units come standard with at least a 25HP and obviousally theres a reason for that.  Figured woods and  even psuto quater sawing is simple and all the hydrolics are more than capable. Ive put this thing through the ropes and its come through everytime. I agreee about the Canada group. Brian and Mike ( when he was there) ALWAYS came through and made themselfs available. For the 18, the shoot out spoke for itself. The 30HTL  is VERY user friendly and I have installed a lazer sight on it that works like a charm. For what I do MOST of the time computer set works woudnt work for me and the scale on the Baker is very accurate and easy to use. Again ya get what suits YOUR application. If youre planning on not moving it place to place than its great. If you plan on gong mobile than go with the 30HTL unless you got lotsa buck and like BIG machines . But I have found this unit perfect for what I do.

CHARLIE

Hey Bill!  When you get your sawmill, maybe you could post some pictures of it on here for all to see! :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!