iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Been Fishing??

Started by Magicman, April 23, 2016, 08:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I should have been servicing my sawmill today for next week's sawing, but instead went fishing.  Marty has a new (to him) boat so he and I went this morning.  He is still in the "shake down" mode so we were maybe fiddling with stuff more than fishing.  In addition to fish, today we saw a rabbit hopping along the shore, 5 cottonmouths, a copperhead, and an alligator. 

Pat and I went to the Cabin this afternoon so we drowned a few more crickets.  Our total for today was 16 which included bluegill, largemouth, crappy, & chinquapin.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

tule peak timber

Well,,Everyone keeps bringing up the subject of fishing - but no pics ! We need proof ! :D
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

JustGreg

Ive been tearing up the Crappie population once a week since late February. Im planning to go late tomorrow for some top water bass fishing.

Woodland Mills HM126

WV Sawmiller

Haven't been yet this year but wife and I did buy our licenses last week after we babysat the grandkids and the 4 y/o granddaughter met us at the door with a big minnow net in hand and informed me I was to take her fishing. Water level has been high here but getting in decent shape.

I always heard crappie called chinquapin where I grew up in N. Fla. Further south they call crappie "Specs" or speckled perch. We just called the ones in the link Shellcrackers. Used to fish for them on the Suannee River with a #8 hook and a big earthworm hooked one time through the breeding ring. They would often nibble off the rest of the worm and just leave the 1" piece from the hook up. Very good eating fish when they were biting good.

Glad you and Marty and Miz Pat had a good time of it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Quote from: tule peak timber on April 23, 2016, 08:56:34 PMWell,,Everyone keeps bringing up the subject of fishing - but no pics ! We need proof ! :D

Actually I had one but forgot to put it her up.  Pulling in another bluegill.  Jeff will recognize where that picture was taken.   ;D

The only other picture that I took today was a "not so good" picture of a cottonmouth.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Looks like somebody opened a can of worms  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sawguy21

I'm jealous, the streams and lakes are too high with spring melt.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

4x4American

Like like a nice fishing hole..I'd like to see the gator!
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

That gator is probably in the 6-7 foot range.  It sorta avoids people because it swam across the lake when we rounded the point and entered the bay where it was. 

pabst79

Is there a season on gators in MS? I seen a couple when I was turkey hunting in Florida quite a few years back, sure was glad that they were in the water and I was in the fields  :).
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Magicman

Yes, and the license are drawn and require a training course/certification.  They also have to be hooked and brought to the boat before being shot.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: 4x4American on April 23, 2016, 09:36:06 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 23, 2016, 08:52:05 PM
I went fishing. Once.

I don't eat fish, so no point harassing them. ;) Besides, I own a WoodMizer, I have more exciting things to do.

:D :D :D :D

YANKEE
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 24, 2016, 09:25:49 AM
Quote from: 4x4American on April 23, 2016, 09:36:06 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 23, 2016, 08:52:05 PM
I went fishing. Once.

I don't eat fish, so no point harassing them. ;) Besides, I own a WoodMizer, I have more exciting things to do.

:D :D :D :D

YANKEE
Dave,

Try fishing down south like MM describes. If you think owning a WM is exciting wait till you have a big old cottonmouth drop in the boat with you or your backcast snags a big red wasp or hornet nest. Few things in life more exciting than that.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Dave Shepard

I don't think you are going to get a Southern Fishing spokesperson job any time soon. :D

sandhills

I don't know, I'd take those chances to spend the day fishing with Lynn and Ms. Pat, but that's just me  :).  Oh wait, I better bring my wife too  :D, she's been down to the river once this spring and caught a couple of big carp  :-\, other than that we just haven't had time to get out.

Magicman

Grandson just called.  He and a buddy went to the Cabin this afternoon.  The buddy caught a ~5lb. largemouth.

Dave Shepard

Jeff

I aim to go fishing off that dock one day....
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

After I replace those rotten boards.  I have some White Oak.   :)

Jeff

Oh yea, I forgot about that. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

starmac

I haven't been fishing, but I went riding around last week and had some great catfish at a litte country store/cafe in southern Oklahoma friday. Something I dearly miss here in Alaska.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

kiko

Pond fishing this afternoon...

Thank You Sponsors!