iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Identification, Please

Started by Tangorob, September 20, 2014, 01:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangorob

I found this chunk of tree at the local golf course.  It is fully dried and fairly light in weight.  The endgrain is weathered, but I just split it and see much of the freshly exposed grain has a silverish tone.  Any help identifying it is appreciated.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
What are the dimensions, or at least the distance between those annual rings?

Sure would help to know what country or part of a country that you are from. ;)

Put some info in your profile, that would help.

What was the score for the game?

8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tangorob

Thanks for the tips beenthere.  The wood comes from San Diego, CA and was found about 3 miles from the coast.  Very mild climate. I've added a couple more photos. The endgrain photo now has scale and I chiseled to show fresh wood.  The other is a piece I turned to a cylinder. It turned okay and produced some ribbons with the spindle gouge.
I shot 90, I prefer the lower 80's.
Thanks!

Tangorob

Hi All, I asked a local tree trimmer what he thought this wood was.  He said white pine.  What do you think?

Jeff

I'd say it doesn't look like any white pine I ever saw in Michigan. It has a hardwood look to me.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

The outter rings near the bark would have pitch ooze from resin canals if it were white pine. Plus them pines grow up high in elevation in Cal.

The end grain would need magnification, can't seem much there.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

BradMarks

First thought is some sort of hardwood due to the wide growth rings in the beginning, BUT, on that split piece, is that a knot/branch with pitch in it??  The chunk is not that old, ring wise, so it could be just about anything including non-native species.

Thank You Sponsors!