iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My wife wants a pergola

Started by vtframer, August 15, 2016, 02:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtframer

so my wife wants me to build her a timber-framed pergola - it needs to be about 12x16 and i intend to use some tamarack.  does anyone have any plans???

Thanks!

Brian_Weekley

A friend of mine was just asking me the other day if I'd help them make a pergola.  They look nice, but I asked them, "are you sure you don't want a roof on it"?  Pergolas have a lot of surfaces to keep sealed, stained, or painted and they are always exposed to the weather.  My parents have a pergola-type structure made out of PT attached to their house over the garage doors and I hate having to clean and re-seal that thing every few years.  However, you have to keep SWMBO happy.
e aho laula

kettleviewtimber

I just finished mine for my wife. It's 12' x 24' sitting on top of my deck.  I can send you pdf's of the drawings if your interested.

Czech_Made

Wifes and garden structures  ;D

Following.

vtframer

kettleviewtimber - yes please! I would love to see your plans... that pergola looks fantastic!

chopper2

I just used the Sobon shed frame, except with flat beams on top instead of a pitched roof.

Ox

I've never understood the reasoning behind one of these structures.  Who was the first one to say, "Hey!  Let's build a framed building but never put a roof on it!  Then we'll sit under it and look up at the sky!"  Granted, they look nice and they take time and energy and money to build and I'm not trashing anyone or anybody's wife.  I'm just wondering about the idea.  Similarly, who was the first one to say, "Hey!  I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes out of that chicken's butt!"
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Czech_Made

I think it is originally mediterranean - minimum rain but you need shade to feel comfortable.

What kills me when people build them for looks, not for the sun - in my book if it works good, it looks good - but sometimes especially in big house subdivisions, they line the shade boards to the house so it looks purdy  ;D

Brian_Weekley

This brochure shows a lot of examples and provides some useful information on wood choices, finishes, anchoring, etc.

https://www.foreverredwood.com/media/pdf/ForeverRedwood-Brochure-EverythingPergola.pdf
e aho laula

Thank You Sponsors!