iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What brand saw do you use? What's the best bang for your buck?

Started by RDevonshire94, November 21, 2019, 06:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDevonshire94

Hey everybody, new to the forum here. This looks like a good forum with lots of knowledgable folks, thanks for the add!

To start off I was actually looking for some insight on purchasing a new saw. I would like one with a 20" bar, one that can take years of heavy use without breaking the bank on maintenance and repairs.

I've mainly used the MS026, MS271 Farm boss along with the husky 455 rancher. Mainly Stihl and Husqvarna saws around the farm. There is a platinum Stihl dealer I was referred to up in Peach bottom, PA I was going to stop and see this weekend. I've looked into the MS261 C-M and it seems like an awesome saw. The fact that it has an onboard processor to automatically adjust the air-fuel ratio seems like a cool concept, but makes me skeptical as to the reliability of that system. Seems like more things that can go wrong, you know like the new diesel pickups with all that emissions and computer stuff.

But I recently have done a search like "What are the best professional saws" and there was a top 10 list. The 455 Rancher was at the top, and most the rest were actually electric saws. I don't think this is a very reliable list, but I thought maybe it would be an interesting topic to talk about amongst the experienced peoples, to see others' experiences and opinions on equipment.

Also any insight would be much appreciated! Hope everyone is staying safe out there whether you are a seasoned axe man, or just a wood burning enthusiast. Cheers

Two Trax

Welcome to the forum.  The details of your requirements are a bit light. But I will take a stab it it. While the Stihl 261 is a fine saw, and I have one, it is not at it's best with a 20 inch bar. For heavy use with a 20 inch bar I like something with 60 cc. The best buy in that category is the Echo 590 which can easily be found for under $400. Pro build quality and a proven performer at a bargain price. It is slightly detuned and does not quite match the likes of the Husky 562 or Stihl 362, but is hundreds less while still maintaining pro build quality. 

Another top performering brand which can be found at very good prices are the Dolmar/Makita line of which I own several. The 6100 model is an outstanding 60 cc saw.

The Husky Rancher is NOT a professional saw and is a competitor to the Stihl Farm Boss line. All of these class saws are clamshell plastic crank case design. They work well for their intended purpose and price point, but are not pro saws.

My 261 is the Motronic and has performed flawlessly. My other saws are carbureted and I have no issues with them either. Just learn how to properly tune them. I run non-ethanol fuel and a 40:1 fuel mix. I like semi synthetic or full synthetic oils.

Good luck with whatever you decide on!
Livin the dream!

Fishnuts2

From what you desire in a saw, namely a 20" bar, and reliability with a pro built saw, I'd say buy an Echo 590 and start cutting wood.

If you'd consider a used saw, the Husqvarna 359 or Jonsered 2159 are great saws too.

hedgerow

Welcome RDevonshire94
I am mostly a Stihl guy with my go to saw is a 461. A little scared of the C-M series and a short time ago I bought a used 660 instead of a 661. With all that said I also run other brands I have a 10 year old 60 CC Makita that has sawed a ton of wood and have only had to put a kill switch on it last year. I run a 20 inch on it cutting hedge and locust and it does great. I also have a 360 Echo for small jobs that has been a great saw so I wouldn't be scared of a Echo 590 for what you want to do. I keep my saws clean and run full syn oil and 40:1 mix. Side note one of my firewood helper's will only run the Makita he doesn't care for the 461. We cut around 20 cord a year for firewood and always cleaning pastures and fields. 

Southside

Ford, Chevy, or Dodge....  A really big part of the equation is dealer support.  Do you have a local dealer who can service your saw when the times comes or do they use the standard answer "it's not worth fixing, but we can sell you this nice one over here".  Many shops fall into that later category these days.  

I was a Stilh guy until the local dealer has his guy "fix" my saw.  Well, after repeated trips back and it never running right she blew up, so I re-built it myself.  Had a backup Husky at the time and one day I adjusted the carb outside of where it would run and I could not get it back to run, so I brought it to a different shop and got the standard answer I quoted above.  They tried to tell me it had no compression, etc.  I knew they were trying to take me, so I grabbed my saw and left, found another dealer / shop - actually the girl up front told me about it as I think she had seen the scenario too many times - and brought them the saw.  $15 later, which included a new plug my saw was good to go.  I have since bought two more 372's from them and countless loops and bars, they get my business from now on.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

lxskllr

I use Stihl and echo, and feel echo gives the best bang/buck. The 590 suggestions above are right on imo.

ladylake

Echo CS590  and CS400 are both great saws, can be bought online for $350  and $235.  You need to pull the limiter caps and tune right, plus opening up the muffler really wakes them up.  The CS590 just has the deflector really clogged up, the CS400 you need to get rid of the cat and open up the out and deflector.  If I could only have 1 saw it would be a CS400 Echo.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

mredden

Echo makes some very good saws for the buck. Great warranty, but . . .

The question about Echo is: "Can you get them serviced/repaired in/near your locale?"

Many people buy them from a big box store, then have problems when they want a repair under the warranty. This can be mainly avoided if you buy from a dealer rather than a big box store because the dealer will usually help back you up on the warranty issue (mainly by telling Echo that "Yes, there is oil in his gas.") Might cost you 20 bucks more to buy from a dealer instead of big box but it's worth it when things go wrong.

Pick your dealer before you pick your brand.

ladylake

You right if you cant fix a saw, I stay away from dealers as they cost a lot,  Never had a saw that needed warranty work yet in the last 40 years.  I have all of the popular brands over here and Echo saws run right with the best of them. Keep them tuned right.  Steve 
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Kaitlyn_D

Would this article help? 
It compares the saws and shows the advantages and disadvantages of each.
https://toolsfirst.com/best-band-saw/

lxskllr

Sometimes things go wrong. Had the coil replaced on my brushcutter under warranty. Had ~20hrs on it. I probably could have troubleshooted, bought a coil, and done it myself, but that's pretty much the definition of 'not my problem'. The dealer handled it. It was in the shop ~1.5 weeks. Couldn't imagine how long it would have been gone if I had to ship it(on my dime of course) to some repair facility.

retiredmechanic

when deciding a saw to purchase a lot has to do with what you want/expect the saw to do for you 
1    clean yard after storm
2    prune trees
3    harvest small amounts of firewood
4    cut firewood for a living supplement
5    professional tree trimmer/removal expert 
6    all out professional arborist, firefighter in the bush etc. etc.

personally I fall between 3 and 4 and out of all the years of using saws  I still prefer the vintage saws the best. I don't like having plastic on my chainsaw even though it cuts a lot of weight I work on all my  own saws so  no dealer or repair shops to hassle with  my saw of choice is McCollugh they are tough. I have a 10-10 that ceases to die after  30+ years of service  same piston and rings, it is a clammy but it's strong with a 60cc powerhead it is my favorite ........ With all that said all my brothers  and friends prefer the Stihl brand the most then the echo brand I have used both and pretty much agree 

If you are somewhat new to chainsaws and have to rely on repair shops and you dont store them right for the off season make sure you check out warranties when making your choice 

it sounds like to me though you have the knowledge needed though  so  best of luck    
gunfire and chainsaws is a Sunday afternoon Lullaby in the country

gspren

Since you mentioned the Stihl dealer in Peach Bottom, PA, I think that's AK Saw Shop, if that's local to you he is first rate, see what he has/recommends.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

lxskllr

I totally overlooked that part of the post. Being close to AK would definitely sway me in that direction. Adds a lot more bang to the Stihl option.

John Mc

Quote from: RDevonshire94 on November 21, 2019, 06:01:06 AMBut I recently have done a search like "What are the best professional saws" and there was a top 10 list. The 455 Rancher was at the top, and most the rest were actually electric saws. I don't think this is a very reliable list, but I thought maybe it would be an interesting topic to talk about amongst the experienced peoples, to see others' experiences and opinions on equipment.

You're right, it's not a reliable list. The Husky 455 is not a Pro-level saw. It's a decent landowner saw, but that's it. That's not to say it won't work for you (though frankly, I'd want more power if I were running a 20" bar in good-sized hardwoods). Too many of those "best of lists" are written by people who have no idea what they are talking about. Some of them, you wonder if they even have seen the saws in person (let alone actually run them), or if they just read the manufacturers publicity releases.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ladylake

I'd guess those list go by who paid them the most.  Steve

Old Greenhorn

This is a case where Google in NOT your friend. These lists are marketing tools. Search for 'best ax' or 'best chainsaw pants' and you might as well be shopping for 'best selling ax". These lists never list the smaller companies that charge a bit more for a more exceptional product. The stuff that pros have been using for years and sells on it's own merits and reputation. For that you have to do your own research and ask around with specific questions in in person with folks or places like this. Knowing a bit more specifically what your needs are will help you pinpoint your solution.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

weimedog

After all the years playing the online forum game I should know to avoid these threads. Couple of things come to mind on how to address this but a few comments might be best. JUST Opinions, nothing more. Assuming Price is an issue therefor "used" can creep into the equation for "bang per buck"

I keep hearing the Echo are the best bang per buck. Online. And even with a dealer locally....I have never seen one actually in use. Ever. I know they are good but around here they seems to be non existent. Have no opinion relative to them other than they are like rare earth, only see them on line and then in "threads" like this where they are vehemently promoted.

Dolmar/Makita's I happen to have a Makita EA4300 . Great little saw A bit pricey but like their other stuff..it just works. It sits in the firewood shed because I'm usually pretty impatient and it ALWAYS starts pull number 2 or 3. Really appreciate a saw that runs well. The bigger 7300-7900 series Dolmars/Makita's are a lot of bang for the buck if you have a decent dealer. If I lived and was "Cutting" over on the eastern "Edge" of NYS north of Albany I would definitely have Makita's :)

Stihl, I'm not a fan of the NEW mid-range/homeowner options. But their older 461 is a "bucket list" saw for me. I would absolutely consider one of those used if it was clean for the "bang per buck" saw. Also while the older 440, 460, 660 series are just awesome saws....but I still want a 461, I have a pile of 441's....but still want a 461. So that has to be one of my suggested saws. Stihl 461. Assuming its running well and is essentially clean.

Husqvarna / Jonsered. Those are my "power curve" saws. Even though I have a wide range of them from 298's through 390 down to 242's; the Original Edition 372's my favorite, same  with Jonsered 2171's Another saw I would recommend if you find a clean one. So Original Edition ( Pre 2010 ) Husqvarna 372's. And I do have to say the LAST iterations of the X-Torq 372 seem to be solid, post 2017? Not certain of when the new crank, wrist pin, carb, and ignition's were all integrated. But I don't see them come through the shop like the earlier ones. So they have "straightened" them out. But they are not going to be around "new" much longer...the 572 replaces them. Not sorry about that..:) So recommend the OE 372 or 2171's assuming they run well and are clean. ( Harder to find as time goes on!)

But new saws? Husqvarna 572 would be at the TOP of that new saw list. For lower cost saws? The Husqvarna 460 is about the most underrated "home owner" saw on the planet. Can't beat one for that $450 dollar price point.

Bottom line is there are a lot of great options.. But with all things equal, the dealer has to be the deciding factor as Dolmar/Makita, Husqvarna, and Stihl all have great pro level saws, And Makita and Husqvarna have really good "mid range" saw options.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

ladylake

You will be seeing more Echo saws as they are way ahead of Husky and Stihl mid range saws and cost less. Steve

John Mc

Quote from: ladylake on November 23, 2019, 08:00:34 AM

You will be seeing more Echo saws as they are way ahead of Husky and Stihl mid range saws and cost less. Steve
The problem I have with Echo is the same I have with Dolmar: no good servicing dealers in my area, and the independent shops are all closing down as their proprietors are retiring, passing away, or just don't want to deal with the new auto-tune stuff.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

lxskllr

Around here, echo is second to Stihl for dealers(if we don't count box stores). Dunno how many service them, but the hardware store close to work is a full service dealer. Husqvarna doesn't have a big presence.

realzed

Quote from: RDevonshire94 on November 21, 2019, 06:01:06 AMTo start off I was actually looking for some insight on purchasing a new saw. I would like one with a 20" bar, one that can take years of heavy use without breaking the bank on maintenance and repairs.

It sounds like you already have a good idea of what is good and meets your requirements in that a 261CM or if a bit more displacement is needed, the 362 CM would be your best options assuming that the cost of either doesn't 'break the bank' and that a 20" bar size is firm..
Without much doubt I feel they probably represent the best bang for the buck in their respective sizes and add an element of toughness reliability that pretty much can't be matched by any other brand - IMHO.
If anyone starts telling you "blah, blah, blah, is a great saw if you play with the carb and open up the muffler a little to make it better" - all that means is it isn't much good to begin with before you need to invest time or money into trying to make it that way - and it makes one wonder why the manufacturer wouldn't have done it if in fact that is all that is necessary to make it so much better and a workable deal.
My experience has been most, if not all of the Stihl models (especially the Pro versions) pretty much come out of the box ready to work and last as good if not better than most others and that seems to me that is what you said you are looking for!

lxskllr

Quote from: realzed on November 23, 2019, 12:54:20 PM

It sounds like you already have a good idea of what is good and meets you requirements in that a 261CM or if a bit more displacement is needed, the 362 CM would be your best options assuming that the cost of either doesn't 'break the bank' and that a 20" bar size is firm..
Without much doubt I feel they probably represent the best bang for the buck in their respective sizes and add an element of toughness reliability that pretty much can't be matched by any other brand - IMHO.
If anyone starts telling you "blah, blah, blah, is a great saw if you play with the carb and open up the muffler a little to make it better" - all that means is it isn't much good to begin with before you need to invest time or money into trying to make it that way - and makes one wonder why the manufacturer wouldn't have done it if in fact that is all that is necessary to make it so much better and a workable deal.
My experience has been most, if not all of the Stihl models (especially the Pro versions) pretty much come out of the box ready to work and last as good if not better than most others and that seems to me that is what you said you are looking for!

There's some truth to that, but I think the necessity of modding echos is somewhat overblown. I modded my cs400 before I could get a feel of stock performance, and my 2511 is stock aside from removing the spark arrestor. Both saws are my favorites of my lineup. A lot of that is due to sheer use. I need my smaller saws much more than my big ones, so they've gotten much more runtime, but they've performed flawlessly every time I've pulled them out. Never had an easier to start saw. A stern look is about all it takes to kick them over  :^D
My Stihls are great saws too. They don't make junk, at least in the pro lineup. Since OP is near AK Sawshop, that would push me towards Stihl if a little extra money isn't an issue, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend echo.

Pine Ridge

Why do most saws need the muffler opened up and carburetor adjusted to get the best performance, three letters, EPA.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

ladylake

Right, saws are tuned lean and come with a clogged up muffler due to the EPA.  Takes maybe 20 minutes to get them running good.  Steve

Thank You Sponsors!