Sponsors:

anyone hear from our New Zealanders

Started by old joe, September 03, 2010, 09:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old joe

THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

RynSmith

bd354

I heard from a couple of NZers a few minutes ago on another forum and they said they were pretty close to the center of the quake and hadn't heard of anyone hurt or killed yet. Some buildings damaged but nothing major so far. Hope it stays that way.

Ianab

Latest from the local news.

No fatalities reported yet, a couple of serious injuries, falling bricks and glass etc. A lot of damaged buildings, mostly anything built with brick. Damaged water, sewerage and power that's going to take a few days to get straightened out. Luckily it struck at 4:30 in the morning so most people were home in bed, not in the middle of town where most of the damage to older commercial buildings happened.

We are a couple of hundred miles away so slept through it.

I was NZ biggest quake since 1931, and was about the same strength as the recent one in Haiti. We might complain about building codes and inspections, but they saved a LOT of lives today.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

bd354

Glad to hear it turned out as well as it did.

Ianab

Been interesting watching on the news the sort of damage that has been caused. While no houses actually collapsed many will be written off. Liquification of the soil under foundation slabs mostly. So houses have tilted or even split in 1/2 with "sand volcanoes" coming up through the floor. They haven't got all the damage totalled up yet of course, but it's thousands of houses that will need to be totally rebuilt.

Bonus, there will be plenty work for builders over the next 12 months.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

I was thinking the same. Economic stimulus package via nature. ;) All kidding aside though, that's one hardship I wouldn't want to endure. I know it's just a building, but it ain't fun when it happens to yourself. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Meadows Miller

Gday

It was good to watch on the news that everyones Ok over the ditch Mate  ;) ;D 8) You are still expecting some pretty heavy aftershocks around that area over the net few days from what the news ids telling us here too Mate  ;)

And Whats that Your brewerys closed   :o :o  :) :) dont worry im pretty sure fosters or Cub will send some good Aussie Bee  over Mate  ;)  :D :D ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

IMERC

Quote from: old joe on September 03, 2010, 09:29:27 PM
I heard they had a pretty big  'quake.

this is from a buddy that lives near Christchurh ..
asked him if he was okay...

Yup!

No damage here at all. Some stuff fell off shelves but nothing broke. I just lay in bed till the shaking stopped and then had a look round and then back to bed.
Quakes don't bother me obviously.

My brother was pretty close to the centre and he has no damage either.
This place swayed like h***....amazing amount of movement. Dogs didn't like it much. Had to stuff one down the bed with me so she would behave. Needless to say she loved that and slept like a baby.

The city got clobbered. Everyone I spoke to had either no damage at all or relatively minor stuff. Lot of older brick buildings got it bad, but they often had a lime mortar that didn't hold so it don't surprise me.

Christchurch is based on a swamp so I imagine the shaking there was as bad as it can get, plus some of the wetter areas had liquifaction problems.....surprise surprise. One beach front area based on pure sand has apparently suffered a lot. Whoda thought?
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

SwampDonkey

Back to bed and stuffed the dog in the sack. :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

IMERC

a tid bit more from NZ....

The aftershocks have backed off it seems. We don't feel all of them here and those we do are small. The city gets well shaken.

Some areas are totaled, others almost untouched. Been over 120 aftershocks and well over 20 that were 5.0 or bigger.

I don't give a rat's butt about quakes, but lots of people are well freaked out. Plenty of houses to be rebuilt.
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Ianab

Just in the News, Christchurch just got hit again. Technically it wasn't as powerful as the first quake, but it was much shallower and closer to the city. Much damage and probably fatalties with a lot of buildings that survived the previous quakes badly damaged or collapsing totally.

Still not clear exactly how bad things are as phone and power are out, airport, hospital, police station etc well all evacuated etc so I imagine it's pretty chaotic there right now.

Ian
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4688231/Massive-damage-injuries-in-Christchurch-quake

SwampDonkey

Wow, that's quite a mess and for someone to see it happen and the speed of it happening, must have been an intense moment.  :o

I've been in two quakes here in the 80's around mag 6 , more or less. But no damage, it was epicentered in a  very remote area.

I wonder if there was much earth quake planning in NZ with quakes being quite probable there.

Ianab

There is quite a lot of planning and building codes are pretty strict. It's mostly older pre-code buildings from 100 or so years ago that have come down.

But check out this video that a local just posted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt0iIHXFnR0

:o

Ian

SwampDonkey

I just watched the first few seconds on dialup. Better hustle ladies.  :o

beenthere

That looks pretty serious. Hope for the best for the members and their families, as well as the Christchurch peoples.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

Latest news is 65 confirmed dead, but that's expected to increase as they haven't fully searched all the collapsed buildings yet.   :(

Ian

WildDog

We have continuous live coverage on the news, its certainly a scene of devastation, poor souls.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Burlkraft

I just saw some pics on the news

Holy Cow!  :o  :o  :o

I'm glad the most I have to complain about is the snow!

I hope you guy's are all right.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

fishpharmer

Its hard to imagine the destruction if I had not seen the photos.
My thoughts and prayers go out to those affected.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ianab

Quote from: sawguy21 on February 22, 2011, 09:49:01 AM
Is Ernie anywhere near this?

Ernies up here in the Nth Island near me, so he will be fine.

Ian

Chuck White

Hard to imagine the devestation!

Glad to hear our Forestry Forum guys are OK!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!