iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 382

Started by Fokke, August 03, 2018, 04:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fokke

This saw is now for sale here and I think in the US too and it is the new version of the MS381, which is in my opinion a reliable professional saw.
I have to buy a new firewood saw and I am considering this one so I want to know if anyone has had experience with it and what are the differences between the 381 and 382

HolmenTree

Not available in North America or even Australia from what I hear the 382 doesn't pass the Aussies new emissions regulations.
A member Joe Indie from India can tell lots about them. Totalily redesigned  sharing some MS460 parts.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

joe_indi

Quote from: HolmenTree on August 03, 2018, 10:19:59 PM
Not available in North America or even Australia from what I hear the 382 doesn't pass the Aussies new emissions regulations.
A member Joe Indie from India can tell lots about them. Totalily redesigned  sharing some MS460 parts.

Yes the 382 has been here for the past couple of months. Prior to that we had a few over here for field trials.

The 382 has a reworked crankshaft and crankcase that no longer have the 6203 bearing on the clutch side but the smaller 6202 (like the 460).
And, speaking of the clutch, it is similar to the one on the 460, #1128 rather than #1119. So also the clutch drum, and the oil pump. No more geared pump drives. It now has the same one as on the 460.
And, easier accessibility on the clutch side than the 380/381, it is all serviceable like the 460
On the flywheel side, the pawl and rotor are the same as for the 460. The flywheel is reworked. The cylinder sits in a swept back position from the previous vertical. The cylinder porting is completely different.The piston though it is of the same 52mm dia has a different profile.
All the changes have made it about 400grams lighter.
The design changes have resulted in a very different saw from the 380/381. Even though it still has an all metal flywheel the throttle response is surprising.
The torque is superb and the power delivery is surprisingly close to the 460.
Being able to do that with its 72cc, the 382 has lower fuel consumption figures than the 381.
I think this saw sits just half a step away from being a 460.
A lighter 460.

Fokke

I got the 382 today at the Stihl dealer and I cut a truckload of firewood. I must say I'm impressed, it has great power and acceleration, fuel consumption is low and overall it has a similar feel to my previous saw the Stihl 064, but is much lighter. I put a Stihl 20" bar and chain on it

Thank You Sponsors!