iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got back from checking out Horseloggers operation.

Started by oakiemac, March 26, 2006, 07:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

Went to Northern Ill. to deliver a load of lumber and wasn't too far from horseloggers place so me and Jared swung on by and checked his operation out.

Sorry no pics but we did get to see Mike's shop and log yard. When we first got there he was pulling a sled around with a couple of nice (big) hay burners. It looks like a great way to remove sticks from the woods. My daughter has been hinting at that for a while now. She has one horse already but is trying to get me to buy some draft ones so I can use them to log with :) I think her real motive is just to have more horses.

Mike has a very nice setup. He mills his own lumber on a small bandmill then sends it through a nyle kiln. Next he has an older but very good condition straight line rip saw where he rips the boards to width. Next they head to his Weing 5 head moulder where they are profiled. The beauty of his setup is he doesnt have to preplan the lumber so that speeds up the process quit a bit.
I used to live in central ILL. and all I remember is flat land with NO trees. If you think I'm kidding about no trees, try driving through central Ill sometime. I think each county has a limit of 5 trees and every hill is bull dozed flat. But in Mike's neck of the woods it was very hilly and wooded. We came in the scenic way to Mikes place and I was impressed with the rugged terrain.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Deadwood

Sounds like you had a nice trip. I know what you are saying about central Illinois. I spent time there myself, railroading near Centralia and the like working a few tunnels back when I was a Tunnel Rat on the MOW crews. Not many trees, but plenty of coal!

As for horselogging. I think that is the only method I have not tried. I have seen it done and know they are smart animals, much smarter than a skidder!! A lot of work though.

In any case, glad you could enjoy your trip and fill us in on your adventure. Too bad you forgot your camera.

Bro. Noble

Thanks for sharing your visit  and describing Horselogger's operation.  I hope you reminded him that he needs to do more posting on the forum-----he's one nice guy.  My O-44 blew up a few years ago and he had one that had had some sort of severe trama (I'd like to know that story too) and about everything was shot except the engine.  He gave it to me and and I combined the two.It's still doing the job and doing it well ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Paul_H

I figured this thread needs some pics and this older thread popped into my mind. I just typed "somebody stop me" in the search function  :)

HORSELOGGERPics
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Thank You Sponsors!