iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Restoring photo quality ...

Started by TexasTimbers, March 27, 2006, 10:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I noticed that after I resize photo files down to the FF requirements, and then I go back later to print them off, the quality is gonzo. I try to reset the numbers back to original specs but then it blows them up big enough to put on the side of a hot air ballon and then even grainier.

I know there has to be a way to salvage them besides downloading again from the camera. Any tips?  ???
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Furby

Nope, once ya compress them, they are going to be off if you try to blow them up.
That's why it is important to keep at least two files, one for uncompressed ones and one for compressed pics.

Tom

The best tip I can give you is to NOT tamper with an original.  Download your pictures into an archive folder.  Then copy the one you want to mess with into another folder.  Mess with it.     You will always have your original on the computer for a backup.  Once in a while copy the archive folder to a CD for safekeeping.

Don't try to use your camera for an archive device. You handle it too much for the pictures to be safe.  If you have all of your pictures on your camera still, download them into a picture archive now.

TexasTimbers

Okay. Well it's good to know that i didn't delete any of them after I downloaded them. I just stored the used memory stick as the backup file and bought another stick. Is that a good/economical way to have backup uncompressed files or do you have a better way to clue me in on?
I'm paying about $65.00 for the 1MB memory stick and it holds a ton of pictures and/or alot of video. But then I will start to compile alot of memory sticks over the years I guess.  ::)

Okay Tom I need to study this more but I will take your advice. Just can't actually perform it right now.

Tom

Burn a CD.  It is economical.   You can store a years worth of pictures on a Cd.  You can make as many copies as you want. Just because you copy them to a CD doens't mean that you have to erase them from your computer.  You can store hundreds of them on a shelf.  That lets you re-use your memory sticks.

TexasTimbers

Ahhh. Okay. I bet even I can figure out how to burn 'em to a CD. Haven't done it yet but I bet I can figur it out. Domo.  ;)

Minnesota_boy

At least copy them to your hard drive instead of buying a new memory stick each time.  Memeory sticks are $65/Megabyte while hard drives are about $0.10/megabyte.  Yes, that's about a dime a megabyte and the price per megabyte keeps going down.   Then burn it to a Cd for backup for when your hard drive crashes.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Norm

You can buy remote hard drives that plug into your usb port. I have a 250 gig one that cost a couple of hundred bucks a year ago.

DanG

If you're using xat.com to reduce your pics, use "save as" instead of "save."  You give the modified pic a new name at that point, and the original is retained in your album, along with the new one.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Onthesauk

I've been burning them to a CD for backup and then just read in the last week or two that the expected life on the self burn CD is only a couple of years vs maybe ten for the commercial release.  Now not quite sure what to do?
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Ianab

QuoteNow not quite sure what to do?

Burn another copy of your original CD after a few years.
Then that one will last for several years, and copy it again...
Repeat as needed.
Because it's digital files you dont loose any quality making multi generation copies.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Larry

Bout the only thing archival is or was mag tape and the only media accepted by the Feds.  Great, so I had this Colorado backup thingy that ran on schedule...course it was only good for a few meg.  Easy to use but HP discontinued support.  Now I burn a CD every 6 months...but don't trust em.  And who knows when the Cd's will be outdated. 

Also using a second hard drive as Norm suggested for a backup...which is a great idea.  And you could also beam your pic's off some place and let somebody else take care of em.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!