iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Ideas

Started by metalspinner, February 24, 2012, 11:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

Every now and then, I get these Big Ideas. Sometimes these ideas are actual inventions, other times they are just ideas.

A few times I've been able to develope the idea into a working prototype and have been very happy with the outcome. Other times they stay scribbled out on a napkin or the back of an envelope. More often, though, these ideas just pass through my mind and get forgotten.

While watching TV, I see those infommercials that other people poured their heart, soul, and life savings into their ideas and products.  Does it pay off for them? 

I have a couple of things that, if I pitched to Craftsman, I just know they can manufacture, sell, and make $$ with. Other things I  would like to do myself.

I sat down once with an attorney for him to give me a rundown of all that was involved in protecting my "intellectual property." That was enough for me to say, "forget it."

Hearing stories about different tool inventors like the SawStop guy, the QuickGrip Bar Clamp guy, or the Workmate Workbench guy, and the Intermittent Windshield Wiper guy is encouraging in that everyone said "No" to them, yet they kept pursueing their ideas and eventually it paid off.

Sometimes while walking through a store, I'll see one of my Big Ideas sitting on the shelf in a beautiful package all wrapped up and ready to sell.  After pointing it out to my wife I'll get the usual  ::) and we continue on down the ailse. If only I had the time and money to pursue it, my face could have been on that box. :-\

There was a show on the tube once that followed inventors as they pitched their ideas to WalMart.  The lucky few that eventually got their product on Walmart's shelf had to drastically cut costs of the manufacture of the item.  So much so that their product became compromised.  That is where I would probably loose out.  Having a panel of sales executives tell me to change my perfect idea.

For now, I guess I'll just keep dreaming...
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Chuck White

I've seen it myself.

I'd think of doing something like getting a patten on something and then forget about it, then lo and behold like you said, it's on the shelf.  ::)

Kind of disheartening, but sometimes we don't have a lot of choice in the matter.  :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Den Socling

Getting an idea off the ground is difficult. During the 70's, I worked with a group called LeMont Scientific. We developed a number of instruments and software. One system did image analysis. We went broke. Look around and see where image analysis is today. It's everywhere from security systems to vending machines. Ten frustrating years was enough of that. I then got interested in the idea of drying wood in a vacuum. It took ten years to get the first system sold. It's been more than ten years since that first system and I guess you could say I'm finally successful. Unfortunately, I'm about ready for retirement!  ??? It can take a long time.

Roxie

How about one of you inventor types develop a machine that washes AND dries clothes, in the same machine? 

You develop it, and I promise to be the first one to test it out for you!   :)
Say when

Warbird

Den Socling

There's an example of what I was saying. A good idea. Why doesn't everyone have one?

Roxie

Well, I didn't have one because I didn't even know they existed!   :D  But, you can take it to the bank that I will have one very shortly! 
Say when

fishpharmer

metalspinner, I share your pain.   Seems like today, marketing is the major key to "success" (making money) with an idea.   
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

metalspinner

There ya go...

A day late and a dollar short. :D

The expense of developement cannot be overlooked.  All those nast little details of deign, function, and fabrication.  Oh, yeah, don't forget about marketing. Poor Roxie's been looking for that washer/dryer and didn't even know it existed.

Fish,
We have this incredible thing called the internet that can reach millions of people.  But what if my do-dad is a big hit and on the first day, I get an order for 100,000?  Then what?!?

It seems you need to be small enough to control production and developement yourself, or turn over most, if not all, of the control to outsourced marketing and manufacturing.

paul case

I guess i will have to give up on my idea to invent a washer that was above the dryer and would unload into it like a cement mixer. Awe man I loose again. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

The odds are stacked agenst the little guy and patents,a big co. will blatently copy your patent and you don't have the money to fight it,they will drag it out in court.If you can make something usefull just make it and sell it you'll have the jump on compitition for a wile. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WH_Conley

A friend of mine designed and built  a hay wagon when the big round bales first came around. He got  a patent, a big company, started selling the same thing. He won, said he broke even. Good thing was that was not his lively hood.
Bill

Woodchuck53

Case in point the windshield wipers that (An auto manuf.) stole from a guy in the early 70's I believe. He approached them with it. They would hesitate and then start again. I know there is a word for it??? But it really happened and still does I imagine.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Woodchuck53 on February 24, 2012, 10:48:21 PM
Case in point the windshield wipers that (An auto manuf.) stole from a guy in the early 70's I believe. He approached them with it. They would hesitate and then start again. I know there is a word for it??? But it really happened and still does I imagine.
"intermittent"
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Spalted Dog

I too have a large list of things that could possibly be developed into something great.  I have shot down most of my ideas as unrealistic as the next big thing, but I have a couple that would make the markets.  I have talked to a couple of developers that will take your invention from idea to patent and market it.  You can get a provisional patent and lock your idea in to play around and see if it will sell.  I think that it is good for a year?  Then go for a full blown patent.  Make sure you are sitting when the patent attourney tells you what the process will cost to get the full patent.  A provisional patent will get you started and help with protection.  The overall cost is peanuts if you make it.

I know of a couple of people that hold patents and they have not made much, if anything.  They just about went broke with the process and they were successful folks with pretty deep pockets.

I know that Lisle tools used to have a deal for tool inventors, Fastcap does too for the Design by contractor series.  It is a way to do it and not put a ton into it.
The older I get the less I used to know.

Kansas

Have a guy that occasionally stops by and hauls our junk iron off. Mostly bandsaw blades, that kind of thing. One day he showed me something him and his dad invented. It was designed to take off rusted or rounded nuts off of bolts. I never saw anything quite like it. It was wonderfully simplistic yet made so much sense. He claims he had a patent on it. He was wanting someone to help get it to market. Problem was, he wanted most of the money, plus I would bet my last dollar he was a druggie. I respectfully declined.

If you have a really good idea, I would pursue it. Might work, might not. But you will never know until you try. With all the internet access, get a provisional patent as stated. Market it yourself, whether on Ebay, Craigslist, trade magazines, website,etc. If it sells and is profitable, you should have no problem getting financing to get the final patent. I would run like a scalded cat from doing business with Wal-Mart and the type. There is a long trail of failed companies that tried going that route. Sell it on your terms, not theirs.

If you invent a machine to wash/dry both dishes and clothes at the same time, count me in. Toss your dirty clothes and dishes in after supper, have clean clothes in the morning and dishes to cook up breakfast.

Cedarman

Forest Lucas of Lucas Oil used to come by many years ago to buy cedar posts to build fence for his horses.  Didn't have hardly enough money.  Don't know what all he did, but he has the BIG bucks now.  So it can be done.
Stay away from the box stores.
A friend marketed some stuff on cable TV and made good money selling their cedar products.  Said it was a great experience and not difficult.  They did not want to expand, so they haven't done it again.
Put a pencil to it and see if it makes sense.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

beenthere

Quote from: Kansas on February 25, 2012, 07:59:13 AM
....................If you invent a machine to wash/dry both dishes and clothes at the same time, count me in. Toss your dirty clothes and dishes in after supper, have clean clothes in the morning and dishes to cook up breakfast.

And also end up with clothes and dishes neatly back in the drawers and cupboard? 

And name it "the wifey"
8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kansas

Depends on if "the wifey" knows how to swing a cast iron skillet. There are certain drawbacks to that method.

stumpy

If ya get a chance, watch a tv show called "Shark Tank" It's the american version of a British show called "Dragons Den" (in my opinion, a much better show).  The premiss is to have 5 successful business people sit in a room and people come in to pitch they're ideas and try to get someone from the panel to invest.  It's not all inventions, but you get the idea.  As I said, the British version is much better, but it's a good representation of what kind of things, from a business standpoint, inventors/entrepreneurs should be thinking about when they try to market their ideas.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Jamie_C

Quote from: stumpy on February 25, 2012, 02:15:54 PM
If ya get a chance, watch a tv show called "Shark Tank" It's the american version of a British show called "Dragons Den" (in my opinion, a much better show).  The premiss is to have 5 successful business people sit in a room and people come in to pitch they're ideas and try to get someone from the panel to invest.  It's not all inventions, but you get the idea.  As I said, the British version is much better, but it's a good representation of what kind of things, from a business standpoint, inventors/entrepreneurs should be thinking about when they try to market their ideas.

I have never seen the British Version but there is a "Dragon's Den" exactly as you describe here in Canada and is produced by the CBC.

metalspinner

Stumpy,
I've seen that show. It makes OK TV, but the reality is that you just told millions of viewers your Big Idea. :D

There is another show that is fun to watch where a couple of investor guys travel around and visit guys that have Big Ideas. The strength of the pitch determines wether or not they invest in the product. I forgot the name of the show, but I've seen it fairly recently.  There were several very good ideas highlighted on the show. One was a better climbing/safty harness, but I cannot remember if these guys picked it up or not.

Brucer

Dragon's Den / Shark Tank is a franchise owned by Sony Pictures. It's based on a Japanese program called Mane no Tora  (which translates into either "imitates a tiger" or "money of tiger" -- it's probably a play on words).

The franchise operates in at least 20 countries. Outside of Japan, the British version seems to have been the model for all the other formats.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Sprucegum

Big Ideas have been my hobby. I call it a hobby because I have never made any money with them. I have built a quick-draw rifle rack (who you callin' redneck?), a portable maze, and a throwing game.

The throwing game idea hit about the same time lawn darts were hitting everyone else in the eye so I figured it couldn't lose. I sunk almost $30,000 into a plastic mold and packaging and marketing. Then I took the summer of '89 off and started a trade show tour. Sales started off slow and stayed that way.

Sometime in August I landed in Red Deer. Red Deer is a small city with a big heart in the center of Alberta. Their central location won them an institution way back when our mentally challenged were institutionalized. But in the '80's the philosophy changed and the doors were opened so all could be welcomed into the greater community. The favorite pastime of the emancipated citizenry is to haunt flea markets, craft fairs, and trade shows - purely for the education and entertainment; no purchase necessary. When one of these fine citizens approached my booth I launched my sales pitch because I thought maybe even after 1000 pitches I still needed practice to improve my sales. She listened avidly to my entire pitch then asked
"What's your job?"
"My job is to market these games." and I enlarged on my pitch a bit more. She again asked
"What's your job?"
"This is my job, what I am doing here."
"But what is your job?"
"This is my job! I make these pieces and I put them together in this package and I sell them!"
That demented darling with the crippled cranium looked at me, looked at my display, looked back at me and said
"You better get a job!"

Somehow I knew she was right.  ::)  :D

Okrafarmer

It takes the simple to confound the wise.  ;)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Corley5

That washer dryer combo got my attention  8)   
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

pineywoods

Washer drier combo's have been around for decades. The big expensive RV's usually have them. Quite maintenance intensive. Need flexible seals for the washer part, they don't hold up too well to heat from the drier part. Dry cycles don't get very hot and take a long time.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

metalspinner

I just thought of another one! 8) 8) 8)

And for historical referance I am making a note here...just in case I see it on the shelf at Wally World next week. ::)

Anyway it has to do with home recycling and easing some of the great inconvenience of it. And that's all I have to say. ;) :D

beenthere

Good plan. Now you can claim anything that shows up on the Wally shelves as your idea.   8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Okrafarmer

I tried to invent an automated fencing machine. That would bush hog, drive posts, and attach wire, all in one pass. I think it could work, but I'm not technically savvy enough to design it.

sandhills

Okra, when you do finally figure it out, please post pics!

Oh, I could also use some sort of stump removal device attached to it  :)

WildDog

Sprucegum I got a good laugh out of that. :D
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Jeff

I started thinking about this topic as I was watching this video this evening.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

KBforester

Quote from: Corley5 on February 25, 2012, 11:34:54 PM
That washer dryer combo got my attention  8)   
Quote from: pineywoods on February 26, 2012, 02:43:17 PM
Washer drier combo's have been around for decades. The big expensive RV's usually have them. Quite maintenance intensive. Need flexible seals for the washer part, they don't hold up too well to heat from the drier part. Dry cycles don't get very hot and take a long time.

I have one of the LG units. We like it a lot.

Piney woods- I'm not sure what you mean by maintenance intensive. I'm sure if it ever broke it would be a nightmare to find someone who would work on it. We've had it for 2.5 years and no problems so far.

They do take a while to dry clothes. Its important to note that they are Vent-less, and they use condensation to get rid of the water. That being said you need to make sure its in an appropriate location: aka not a cold basement. And if your looking for a machine that can do a massive loads of laundry for a family of four, then forget it. Its a small machine. Its great for my girlfriend and I. Very energy efficient.
Trees are good.

ahlkey

One of the things I say often is that is "so easy to make things complex but near impossible to make it simple".   I find with really BIG inventions or Ideas when you hear about it you say - WOW that is simple enough I should of thought of it?  Well very few of us can eliminate all the "noise" and keep it simple but if we are so fortunate to come up with a HUGE breakthrough idea it is equally as hard to execute on it (easy to just give up).   Woody Norris from the video has done both - impressive indeed!   

sparky1

I have a lot of big bright ideas when half way though a case of beer with buddies.. then the next day cant remember any of them.. at the time they all seemed like real winners!! :D
Shaun J

martyinmi

Quote from: sparky1 on March 31, 2012, 11:21:08 AM
I have a lot of big bright ideas when half way though a case of beer with buddies..
Having bright ideas while drinking beer with friends must be a global ritual amongst men 8) Seems as though we're all pretty much in the same boat when the morning rolls around. When we remember the brainstorms from the night before, we wonder how we were able to legitimize them even with all the beer ???
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Taylortractornut

Not on the patent  topic but when I  have a problem in the shop when building something it often comes to me   at night while im sleeping the solution its me.    I keep a pad an pen at the bed side  and a few drawing tools like a straighte edge and compass.   

Okra I made a similar 3 point tool to  do fencing one time.    I worked for a farmer part time when I was out of a job.  He had a 5300 JD mfwd tractor.     We did have to bushhog seperately but  I mounted a rake on  the loader.      THe 3 point   I mounted  a  hydraulic phd  on a verticle mast with a  jib on it for  lifting the posts  up and on the side of that I had a tpost driver.       It worked good I did want to add a post driver but never did it.    I had a roller on it to spool off net wire  and top it with a strand of barbed,    Or I could take the net wire off and spool out6  strands of barbed wire or high tensile electric.     It worked  good but the posts and and wire had to be hand stapled or tied. 
  Later we added an  air powered wire tie.           We did about 6 miles of fencing with it and I went on to another job.     I made 2 more for other fence contractors.         If you got one patented  I  beilive it would be a money maker.     

Id have trouble patenting something or finding a  patent lawyer that I would trust.  A friend of mine patented a  control box for a manufacturing process.    I did a few small castings  and some machine work for him on the job.    He made a  little money on the deal but he  somehow let them screw him out of it. 
My overload permit starts after sunset

Cedarman

Many, many people have lots of ideas big and small.  A few will devote the time, energy and money to success or failure.
Big ideas are cheap. Implementing those ideas is expensive and can be all consuming.

Okrafarmer

Taylor, unfortunately, I am a big idea guy, but not a mechanically savvy guy. I can figure out what ought to be done, and sometimes a ghost idea of how, but never the details. Sounds like you went much farther with the idea than I ever could.  :-\

Taylortractornut

I m just lazier lol.     I helped put in about  500 feet the old way and went to the shop over a couple weekends it was raining.     I dont have alot of original ideas myself but am more of a Chinese engineer.
My overload permit starts after sunset

metalspinner

Jeff,
I liked that video, too. :)

My favorate segment is at the 4 minute mark. "Sony is smart - too smart."  :D

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Taylortractornut on April 02, 2012, 01:45:08 AMI dont have alot of original ideas myself but am more of a Chinese engineer.

You just need a skilled and trusted marketer. BTW, my BIL just moved to China to help oversee factories over there.  ::)

Al_Smith

I've mentioned my old deceased buddy Darrel the farmer many times .Collectively in half drunken stuper we both hatched great plans .Darrel never made a dime from them but he saved himself a ton of money in the process and left this world a multi millionare .

Good old Ben Franklin once said a penny saved is a penny earned .Well now of days with taxes etc it amounts to a lot more than a penny so good ideas can pay off in more ways  than extreme riches .However just as sure as I mention that some smart alec politician will figure a method to tax us on money we saved by not spending it .

Cedarman

I would say they are getting ready to tax our savings.  If inflation kicks in, there goes your savings.

Magicman

If you want FDIC insured, your money is no good anyway.  1%   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

At this rate, they're likely to tax our IDEAS before we ever act on them, so maybe we shouldn't blab all our inventions for them to find out about.....  :-[ >:(

Okrafarmer

FDIC means For Dose In Charge.  I could give it some other meanings, but that would definitely get it bumped to the restricted topics.

metalspinner

Corn bread hot dog buns!  Corny Buns. :D 8) 8)

metalspinner

A baking pan to cook the corny buns at home.  I can almost here the 800 commercials now.

Call in the next ten minutes and we will double your order. That's two corny dog pans for the low, low price of just 19.99.  Just pay seperate processing and shipping.

WDH

Corn is good for you too.  Led to the rise of a great civilization.  One of the two or three top foods on the planet.  You can't go wrong!

(remember us little people when you get rich  :)).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!