iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stabalizing 2x4 for first cut

Started by Upper, October 14, 2015, 05:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upper

I know the thoughts (Boy we really got a live one here).
  Tips a tricks are appreciated .............................................Upper
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
36" guillotine splitter powered by a GMC V6
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

terrifictimbersllc

I don't understand the question. ???
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Upper.

Adding your location and sawmill (?) will aid with answering questions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Upper

Sorry I am talking about the first cut with an Alaskan Mill,using 2x4's as the guide.....Upper
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

Nomad

Still too many questions Upper.  Are the 2x4s connected?  Are they supported so there's a flat solid surface to support the mill?  What's going wrong?  I guess I don't understand the question either.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Upper

Sorry for the confusion, I get that a lot.I have yet to use the mill and thought better of the 2x4's as opposed to a ladder.I would guess ths 2x's would not be bound.How is the best way to keep them from falling off the log.Hope someday we can rename the thread "Uppers first piece"....................Upper
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

BUGGUTZ

I dont have a pic but I will explain. I run two 2x4's joined together with 8" plywood squares every few feet. One end is a plywood square on end to saddle the butt of the log. The other end is adjustable 1x3. I use screws to attach my jig, careful not to enter the cut area, usually about 1/4" off. It has worked awesome for me. I usually cut 8 1/2 to 10 1/2 foot logs. When you are using the flat of the log as a guide remember to broom off the dust between cuts.
Everyone has to be somewhere.

Upper

Thanks Buggutz,got it...........Upper
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Upper.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Upper

Thanks Chuck,this new endeavor will surley cut into my hunting time....................Upper
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

isawlogs

When you secure the 2x4 onto the log, use screws, the first cut you need to be sure to be below them screws. If not funny noises will be heard from the chain and from you.....  :o   ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Upper

Thanks Isaw,I also plan to metal detect I hope I find more nails than gold.........Upper
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

isawlogs

If you do find nails,  after pulling them recheck the log with metal detector.  You'd be surprise to learn how many nails can be put inside a 1" circle .....   ::) ::) ::) :o

Marcel!
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Upper on October 15, 2015, 11:59:19 AM
Thanks Isaw,I also plan to metal detect I hope I find more nails than gold.........Upper

If you find gold in them logs, things could really pan out for you  ;D ;D ;D

Herb

Magicman

If there is gold inside of the log, you instantly know that it is Walnut and Very Valuable.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

Quote from: isawlogs on October 15, 2015, 11:36:45 AM
When you secure the 2x4 onto the log, use screws, the first cut you need to be sure to be below them screws. If not funny noises will be heard from the chain and from you.....  :o   ::)

Yeah...  No kidding! :D :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!