iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First on the road milling job

Started by tomb, October 17, 2015, 10:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomb

Today was the first time I milled away from home.  It was a definite learning experience for this newby, but fun as well.  Had to cut the butt end down to fit on the mill, but got loads of flat natural edge slabs! 8)
Home owner was happy, so I was happy!

Nomad

Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

drobertson

You bet! nice work there, slabs looks good from here,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

Happy customer is good. A job well done.
What kind of wood and what's the plan for the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kingmt

Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

Magicman

Congrats on a successful road trip.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

tomb

It was a white oak and it was cut down a year ago, so it was good and hard.  Thankfully there was no metal in,side! ;D
The homeowner has no immediate plans for it, it was removed to make way there leach field.
He wanted 2" slabs out of the whole thing, and they came out nice and flat.
However the bandsaw blade will need sharpened as there was a lot of caked on dirt.  Im going to try some Woodmizer Razortip blades on logs like this one in the future.

OffGrid973

Hi Tomb,

I have done 2-3 paying jobs myself and curious if you stick to the handshake deal as well?  I never know what to say about metal, do I just charge an extra 20 for sharpening and shipping, or if that conversation scares of potential customers.

Great job and stick with it, those slabs look great.

-Chris
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Sixacresand

Glad it was a success.  Nice stack of slabs and good looking mill.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

tomb

Quote from: cwimer973 on October 18, 2015, 09:26:51 AM
Hi Tomb,

I have done 2-3 paying jobs myself and curious if you stick to the handshake deal as well?  I never know what to say about metal, do I just charge an extra 20 for sharpening and shipping, or if that conversation scares of potential customers.

Great job and stick with it, those slabs look great.

-Chris

Yep, this was the good ole hand shake deal.  I am up front with charging $20 for hitting any metal or object which kills the blade. 
I figure they must really want the log milled and arnt just kicking tires if they have me come out to mill.
Tom

tomb

Quote from: Sixacresand on October 18, 2015, 09:31:12 AM
Glad it was a success.  Nice stack of slabs and good looking mill.

Thanks!
Tom

slider

Tom I think you are close on the blade damage charge unless you totally wreck a band.Some may charge more but i sharpen and set my bands so 20 bucks works for me.Like you said ,tell them up front so there is wont be any surprises.Good job.al
al glenn

johnnyllama

Congrats on the first job! Good to see another Turner Mill owner on here. How do you like your mill so far? Had it for long? I've had ours for not quite 2 years and have mainly used for personal use or jobs brought to me. Only about 10-12,000 bd.ft. cut so far but it's worked well for us so far, plus I'm only about 1 hrs. drive from Bill Turner's shop.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

tomb

Quote from: johnnyllama on October 18, 2015, 03:49:52 PM
Congrats on the first job! Good to see another Turner Mill owner on here. How do you like your mill so far? Had it for long? I've had ours for not quite 2 years and have mainly used for personal use or jobs brought to me. Only about 10-12,000 bd.ft. cut so far but it's worked well for us so far, plus I'm only about 1 hrs. drive from Bill Turner's shop.

Its a great mill so far, only had it since Labor day weekend.  Ive done some modifications to make it more useful with what I have.  I use the power winch to load the logs and its working well!  I mainly bought it for milling for myself but will do jobs if I feel comfortable size of the logs.  This oak was just to big to roll, even with a 60" cant hook!
Bill builds a nice mill, easy to work on and get parts!
Im looking forward to many more years of milling. 8)
Thanks
Tom

johnnyllama

We bought ours used with only a couple hundred hrs. on it. It came with the hyd. loader arms and we've added a power winch head lift which was well worth the cost. It really speeds up the cutting process.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

Thank You Sponsors!