iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone milling in a tropical climate?

Started by Stuart Caruk, October 20, 2015, 03:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Caruk

We're headed back down to Roatan (30 miles off the north coast of Honduras) again in January. I'm seriously considering moving there if we can work out some of the logistics for setting up a significant project down there. I've been asked if I could bring down the equipment to set up a portable saw mill, and while I've done a bunch of milling on my LT35 hyd, I'm not sure how well a sawmill would stand up in the tropical climate.

I've also gotten used to having access to my log loader, tracked bobcats and forklift, and it would be impractical to get them down there (at least to start). HAs anybody ever actually run (successfully) a small mill in a 3rd world country with limited resources?
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

fishpharmer

Member crtreedude has an operation in Costa Rica.  A former member, may he rest in peace, Jim King had a sizeable operation in Peru.  You may want to search their posts.  There are others as well that do/have milled in various tropical areas around the globe, good luck.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

black

What is it you want to know, is it the sawmill vs the temperature and moister conditions, the people conditions or the financial profitability? I don't understand your question.

beenthere

WM, if I recall correctly, got its start with 3rd world in mind. There are swing mills that are possibilities as well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Stuart Caruk

It's one thing to park a sawmill outdoors (even under cover) in the Pacific Northwet. Everything sweats certain times of the year and keeping the rust at bay is an ongoing challenge for machines that are not store in a climate controlled building.

In Roatan there is no climate control. It's warm and humid, and a small island surrounded by  salt water. I'm actually curious if the mill would hold up just parked under a shed, or if it would turn to a rust bucket in no time.

I aready no about the issues of security, theft, getting fuel, getting logs etc.

Well, actually... getting logs would be far easier if I could float them around the island and bring them to the mill. Any further ramifications to cutting trees that have been floating in slat water? For sure it's not going to help the rust issues.

I'll seek out the suggested posts. Thanks for the tips.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Nomad

Stuart, do you envision being able to leave the mill in one location and always bring logs to it, or do you think you'll need to be able to move it to the logs?  (I'm assuming you're talking about a location with nothing passable as a real road.)
     If the mill will be mostly stationary a manual bandmill might make sense.  Manual because I assume labor is much cheaper and available than repair parts. 
     If you're talking about transporting the mill using animal or people power, I'd strongly suggest a swingblade mill.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WV Sawmiller

Stuart,

Good luck. I'd check with WM and make a list of your concerns and talk with them.

Do you have the gasoline or diesel engine? I'd sure suggest the diesel in the tropics as I'd bet it is much more readily available but you mentioned you have already addressed the fuel issue. I'd also suggest a bigger mill than the LT35 for work there. How about sharpening blades and getting spare and replacement parts? How about support equipment?

Hope it all works out for you.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Compensation

Quote from: beenthere on October 20, 2015, 04:50:15 PM
WM, if I recall correctly, got its start with 3rd world in mind....

Lt15 Papua New Guinea, dismantled and hauled up the river on canoes. I remember the display at WM in indy talking about versatility.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

4x4American

I feel like it might raise hell with all the electronics on the mill...I would for sure cake all connections with di-electric grease.  I talked with a WM rep about using di-electric grease on the connections and he didn't see any problems with it.
Boy, back in my day..

teakwood

I am in Costa rica and have my own saw mill(small, all manual), works great. it will oxidize  a little bit more because of the constant humidity, although i have no saltwater nearby. Do you speak Spanish? your "gringos" will get almost every time a worse  deal if you cant defend yourself in spanish
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Ianab

The tropical jungle is the reason that some mills are built from stainless and alloy. They are used extensively around the Pacific Islands and with the manual mills there is no electronics to worry about.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I never have but I think I got a taste of it in the South this year. :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

longtime lurker

I'm in the wet tropics of Australia, and have also milled in the south west Pacific.

Rust is par for the course. Paint everything you can. If the paint wears during use - rails etc - put a coat of grease on it.

Use tinned wire at  all times. Rewire before you go because electricians get scarce. Put dielectric grease on electric fittings, then seal the boxes. Sikaflex is your friend.

Figure out how you're going to get logs from bush to mill. Many tropical hardwoods are dense and don't float BTW... but if they do how are you getting them from high tide mark to mill? Sand is the enemy of saw blades.

Look, there's a million things you need to work out... from sourcing trees to where and how you market the lumber. Everything costs more then you expect except labour, everything takes longer then you think especially labour, and the best advice I can give is to go look at the ground yourself before you do anything.

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Sixacresand

Good luck with your equipment in Roatan.  I never heard of Roatan and read about it on Wikipedia. Interesting.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!