iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

trailer decking

Started by trapper, April 22, 2016, 10:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

My mechanic needs decking for his equipment trailer.  No oak available but have white ash.  Other than rotting sooner any other problems?  3X12 for the sides and thinner in the middle.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

ladylake

White ash will last almost as long as white oak so long as it's not wet all the time such as a post. I would use it anytime for decking.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

dgdrls

Better to use the Ash before the bugs get it,
suggest he spray the sawn planks with used oil
before he mounts it,  should help the wet condition

Dan

Skip

Red elm if you can get it, wont split easily cause of grain . doesn't rot fast #1 choice around here on pipeline trailers. growsers from the iron doesn't tear it up as fast as straight grain wood.

sealark37

Ash will work fine.  I would make the thickness uniform across the trailer.  Some oil treatment will extend the life of the deck.   Regards, Clark

doug olsen

Well, it appears that you or your friend have a choice of woods to use.
If I may suggest, what we do over here, in addition to the basic decking material, is use a softwood as sacrificial on top of the deck, where the tracks and grouser ride ( two stips,each two ft. wide). It is easier to replace these when damaged and holds the equipment better when chained down...IMHO
LT 15/portable trlr., 580 Case hoe/thumb, JD 570 Skidsteer (bkn.) 500 Rubicon quad

dcress

Just started milling new float deck boards yesterday. Birch 2-1/2" to 2-1/4" x 7-1/2" to 9-1/2". New float has oak decking. Never seen anyone use birch but from experience it should do well.

Chuck White

I have sawn Beech, R/Oak, Hickory, W/Ash & Elm 2½x8-10 for a couple of my customers!

Seemed to work out well for them!

I do believe that they sprayed it down with some kind of preservative or oil!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

doc henderson

We have tons of huge cottonwood.  not rot resistant, but intertwined grain holds it together and it crushes instead of splitting.  Did some full on 2 x 8 x 18feet for a trailer to haul bulldozer about 4 years ago.  sprayed a little tung oil on it to repel water, holding up well and good use for a wood that many do not find useful for many things.  the trailer had rows on each side for the tracks, trailer was about 30 feet long.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SFires

Any wood that is stringy when trying to split (I.E. elm,hickory) makes great flooring .
A man can always use more tools, more space,more wood, and a whole lot more time.

mbolt512

This may be a dumb question, but would SweetGum work as trailer decking? It grows like a weed here.
Make do, do without or find a better way.

WV Sawmiller

Boy its stringy enough! But I don't know if your could ever get it to stay flat. I don't remember it being very weather resistant either. let us know what your find.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!