iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log turning winch hook

Started by jovol, November 16, 2017, 11:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jovol

Hello all,
I recently purchased a new-to-me Timbery M285 and have gotten some experience with it under my belt. One thing I found would be useful is some kind of hook to use on the log-loading winch so that i could turn the logs. The winch has a non-locking snap hook on it, but I imagine I need something akin to a cant hook's hook with a ring on it to turn the log. Issue is, I don't know what term to search for to buy the *DanG thing! Any help in my endeavor would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John
2017 LT50 wide, stihl ms362 & ms660, echo cs7310, Logrite fetching arch, 2000 New Holland LS180, Ford 6.0, kubota L48, kubota KH-70, Ford F800 8.3

chet

Contact the good folks at Logrite. Click on their ad that is just to the left.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Yes, Logrite sells just the hook.  Replacement Parts

I built mine from broken logging tongs.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Adding your location and sawmill to your profile helps us to remember.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

John,

I made mine out of an old cant hook I bought at a local flea market. Took off the bolt holding the hook to the collar, connected it to a 3' piece of 1/4" chain and put a chain hook on the other end. Old cant hook cost me $5, 3' of chain, hook and fastener which together still cost less than $10.

I keep a couple of 6' lengths of 1/4" chain and, trick I learned from the MagicMan here on the forum, hook them to my movable clamp on the mill when I need to roll a log that is too big for cant hooks on to the loading arms. I find the chain handy as I can hook into a different link every couple inches if I have to make multiple pulls as the clamp only moves a couple feet at a time.

Last week had a 16' X 30" stacked 3 high on a log pile and too big to turn by hand but used this hook/chain and the movable clamp and we rolled it right off the pile. Worked like a charm and impressed the customer greatly.

Old cant hook on chain, extra chain and short-handled felling ax used to drive the hook into the log.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!