iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Topo Maps

Started by timberjack 450, October 19, 2015, 05:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack 450

All the towns around here require Timber Harvesting permits now with a Topo map of the property with the landing and skid roads sketched in. Where do I buy software with Topo maps of NY state?
90 450 Timberjack, JD 650 G dozer, Hitachi 120 excavator, 2400 morbark chipper, 85 Western star log truck,and a 22-22 Blockbuster processor
Almost forgot, and a very patient woman

snowstorm

try delorme from freeport maine. they make maps lots of them

caveman

Caveman

clearcut

You can use Caltopo online, currently free though they do ask for donations.

http://caltopo.com/

It allows you to draw markers, lines, and polygons on USGS topos.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

rambrush

Here is yet another that I am going to try out.

https://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/

York Woodwright

I don't know if this is of assistance or not, but when I am in the woods either with my chainsaw or binoculars (I'm an inveterate birdwatcher) I use the GPS files which can be downloaded for free from:
www.gpsfiledepot.com
The site also has useful information on GPS in general.
I've used them when birdwatching in remote places in about half of the US states and many Canadian provinces, and they've been most helpful. They've kept me out of trouble on more than one occasion.
Charles
I'm still learning how to use my WM LT40HD. This is an avocation, not a vocation -- not as pecunious as medicine, but a lot more fun!

edkemper

Years ago, I bought Topo software from places like REI. Places catering to the outdoor and hiking crown all had software that allowed quite a bit of massage and printing. That was probably 20 years ago now. I'm sure things have improved immensely at this point.

I'd personally start with a google search.
Old Man

millcreek40

I also live in ny state. I just go to the local county real tax office. They print them on the spot.  Like $5 each
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: timberjack 450 on October 19, 2015, 05:40:54 AM
All the towns around here require Timber Harvesting permits now with a Topo map of the property with the landing and skid roads sketched in. Where do I buy software with Topo maps of NY state?

Do you have a UTM WGS84 (Lat/long degrees) coordinate near the area your at? Expert GPS has topo built in and also displays Google Earth.  You'll need a good internet connection for photos and such.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

2StateTrigger

Molon Labe

Offthebeatenpath

If you have a smartphone and are so inclined, there's a free app called PDF Maps by Avenza. You can download any USGS 7.5 quad map (and a lot of others) for free, then print them from your computer. Just be sure to set the filter for "free maps" or they'll try and get you to pay.

The app is pretty neat because if you enable the locator on your phone it will show you exactly where you are on the map and which direction you're aimed, even without cell service. You can also plot points, measure distances, etc.

It almost takes the fun out of getting lost in the woods...
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

timberjack 450

Thanks for all the advice. Now hopefully I can get the town permit and start cutting some big red oak.
90 450 Timberjack, JD 650 G dozer, Hitachi 120 excavator, 2400 morbark chipper, 85 Western star log truck,and a 22-22 Blockbuster processor
Almost forgot, and a very patient woman

timberlinetree

They used to have them at the hunting store but that is a thing of the past with all these computers.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Joelf

Anyone can download high resolution topo maps for free directly from the USGS.
They recently launched a new way for doing this.
Start here:  http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/maps/TopoView/
Open the map in a photo editing program and draw approximate property lines, skid roads and whatever else you need.

Someone mentioned CalTopo.  The software developer that runs that site is now going to charge an annual subscription to export topo maps.  This is a great site and the guy that runs it deserves to make something from all the work he has done and continues to do.

Also, here is something that might help the OP and anyone else in New York.  Each year it seems like the state obtains more high quality aerials.  These are generally taken during 'leaf off' thus you can see the ground through a deciduous forest.  Better yet, the state hosts those aerials on a GIS server in such a fashion that as you pan around the state you always see the best quality aerial photo available for where you are looking.

For example, here is an online map that displays those New York state aerials for a random spot.  Note the 2-track trail.
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=42.292780,-76.131633&z=19&t=New_York_latest_aerial&q=http://www.propertylinemaps.com/p/public_land_map/state/NY/NY_trail_public_land.txt

Now change the basemap to the Google aerial.  Hmmm...where did that 2-track go?  Yup, Google aerials are usually "leaf on".

To find a different spot in New York, try Menu ==> Search.

Here is how to collect GPS coordinates for a trail (or other linear thing) you see on the map.
Click Menu ==> Draw and save
Select "Linepoint" and click continue.
Click along the trail. 
Each symbol is draggable.
A right click displays a context menu which includes an option to save a GPX file.

Full disclosure: I am the developer of Gmap4 which is an enhanced Google map viewer that is displaying the map. 

The "Menu" button provides a bunch of features including geolocation and current declination.  The other button lets you change basemaps and turn GIS overlay layers on/off.

Joseph

SwampDonkey

Any photos that Google show in my area are from the government. They could be forestry, agriculture or municipalities. Most aerials here are done with leaves on to ID stand types. Some forest companies do photos in late fall or winter to draw silvilcuture maps and roads to the blocks post harvest. Of course the areas are never exact because of blow downs and sometimes large areas that aren't treatable. It was bad this summer, some blocks with less than half the areas treatable. Either studwood sized suppressed fir a few years (10) after an overstory removal with trees planted in trails (mostly dead) or natural trees only chest high.  Pretty ship-shod. Getting to the point I am refusing to try and mark those blocks. To much time and not enough benefit. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

azmtnman

I like National Geographic Topo (fill in your state). If I can use it, it's simple enough and is the highest detailed topo map I have found--way more detail than USGS.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Sixacresand

All good post above about where to get maps.  Reminds me of when I worked in mining:  Topo maps, Wetland inventory Maps, Historical society maps, street maps, Aerial photo maps.  The blue stream line on the topo map will be your biggest headache.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!