iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lumber wrap

Started by lenlav, April 29, 2013, 10:59:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenlav

I am working with a Finnish company that manufactures an automated lumber wrapping machine. I am curious as to how widespread the use of these types of machines is in the US for either lumber or engineered wood.  Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks.

Magicman

??? to your question but Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

As far as lumber wrapping not real sure of %'s, but as a whole very wide spread use, where entire pallets are wrapped pryor to shipping. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

roghair

looking at MM's answer, not very widespread I would say  :D
Opportunity?
built a sawmill

kderby

I buy lumber wrap and use it to protect dry lumber while it is stored outdoors prior to shipment.  Automatic wrapping is out of the question due to the increased cost of the machinery relative to the level of use.  It would not pay for itself.

I have the same issue with unit saws and trimming the ends of units.  Great idea but the money is not there. 

I do think more small sawmills could use lumber wrap as it is cheap compared to the effort of logging, milling and drying.

Welcome to the Forum Lenlav!

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Where are you located?  Finland??

Without a bit more description of what you mean by "lumber wrap" and a little about the machine, not sure from our answers that we understand your question ("i,e, how widespread the use of these types of machines is in the US for either lumber or engineered wood ?". 

Seems we ship a lot of lumber "wrapped" via truck and rail. Whether it is an "automatic machine" would depend on the definition of  "automatic". 
Lumber and engineered products are wrapped, that is for certain. My guess is that it doesn't happen "automatically".  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I have seen two types of wrap.  The first is semi-automatic.  A person puts down a base, flat piece of waxed cardboard or plastic.  Then a 5-sided bag is put over the bundle.  These bags come in various sizes for various lengths of lumber.  Then an automatic plastic banding machine wraps it tightly.

The second wrap is when the lumber is put on a turn table and then a roll of plastic (simialr top Saran wrap) is brought to the pile and the pile is turned and the plastic wrap goes around the pile several times.  This does four sides, so the top and bottom are done with a separate sheet, if needed.  This bundle is often not banded.

Make sense?
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!