iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill purchased!

Started by dukecrazy, November 13, 2015, 09:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dukecrazy

Well, with hours and hours of tireless researching I've finally purchased a small mill. I decided to go with the HF small mill bc of the use I plan on getting out of it. I'll be mainly recreational cutting and not really using it to "make" money with. I just didn't see the need in spending a huge amount of money for something that is more hobby use than anything else. Hopefully I don't get bashed too hard but if so, I promise I can take it, hahahaha. I'll post pics and keep updated with whatever flaws and changes I find and make once it arrives. Total for the setup was $2243.72USD shipped with taxes which is pretty hard to beat.
G3033 LS tractor w/FEL, multiple chainsaws, and Central machinery sawmill.

drobertson

Happy for you!  It should do what you need for sure, there are a few here that run them so some good feed back is just around the corner if need be,,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Kingmt

Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

beenthere

Good move Duke.

And you can always upgrade if the need changes in the future.  Usually does...  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dukecrazy

Thanks guys, and yes drobertson I've already been tapping into the knowledge of kingmt and all the countless threads and posts regarding the HF mill on here to get a better feel for the machine.

azmtnman

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Congrats. Enjoy the endless possibilities!
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

dukecrazy

thanks AZ and beenthere. I don't have a lot of land but I do own 15 acres with approximately 13 of it still wooded. I plan on clearing a fair amount of that now and getting quite a bit of lumber out of her!  8)

Already have my solar kiln plans ready to go as well as my storage barn 1/2 way completed just need to close it in.

Outer Rondacker

dukecrazy

If you guys don't mind, which blades in the 144" size(if applicable) are you guys running? how are you liking them? and where (website) do you prefer to purchase from?

Nomad

Quote from: dukecrazy on November 13, 2015, 01:20:29 PM
If you guys don't mind, which blades in the 144" size(if applicable) are you guys running? how are you liking them? and where (website) do you prefer to purchase from?

Duke, you're asking the Ford/Chevy question here.  Any manufacturer will supply 144" blades.  Try asking a few for a sample blade, and decide which one you like the most.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Kbeitz

I'm kinda new here to. But i keep notes.
A lot of members here say Kasco 7 deg. 1-1/2" .045 is a good starting point.
But I think most all manufacturers make good blades.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

dukecrazy

Still learning all this nomad. I'm not used to a manufacturer giving samples lol. 

Banjo picker

The width and thickness of your blade is going to be directly proportional to the amount of hp your engine has....sorta....so how many horses are you going to have....?  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

AnthonyW

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 13, 2015, 07:02:32 PM
I'm kinda new here to. But i keep notes.
A lot of members here say Kasco 7 deg. 1-1/2" .045 is a good starting point.
But I think most all manufacturers make good blades.

Congrats on the mill. FWIW. When you put the new blade on make sure the teeth are pointing the right way. Not like the poor guy on you tube that did an "evaluation" of a new lenox blade vs. HF freight. He complained the lenox was not worth the money. He never noticed the teeth were pointing the wrong way.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

gww

I have been buying the cheepest cook blade.  If you buy 10 they ship in the usa for ten bucks.  It ends up about $18 per blade.  I don't know good from bad as I have never used anything else.  Cooks is a forum sponser I believe. 
Good luck
gww

dukecrazy

I've gone to the forum slower sites but I'm still unsure to exactly what it is I'm supposed to search for. I looked mainly for 12' and 4* blades but didn't get much return for the 4* search just a lot of 7* and 10*.

gww

Cutting Edge

Quote from: Banjo picker on November 13, 2015, 08:15:49 PM

The width and thickness of your blade is going to be directly proportional to the amount of hp your engine has.

Banjo is absolutely correct !!  An 1-1/2" wide blade on this mill would leave almost 1/2 of the blade itself just hangin' in the wind.  Not to mention it will rob you of precious torque just turning it, let along attempting to saw with it.

Because of the block style guide system on this mill, and others like it, a 1-1/4" wide x .045" thick blade ( vs. an .042 ) makes a huge difference in cut quality because of the additional beam strength.  Upgrade to an adjustable roller guide system like Cooks sells and that little HF mill can/will saw excellent lumber.

With an advertised 7hp, you are on the right path of looking specifically for 4 deg blades.  Kasco manufactures a 4 deg blade that will fit the bill very well.  They don't have it listed on their website but feel free to send me a PM or contact me at the number listed below in my signature.

Hope this helps and best of luck in your endeavor.

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

dukecrazy

Gww, thank you!  I had found those blades earlier but couldn't get back to them for some reason, haha.  Unfortunately they are a little thin @.042 as cutting edge had posted about.  I would probably buy them if I couldn't find anything else though. 

Cutting edge,  thank you sir for the information as well!  I've already made the phone call and left a message. 

dukecrazy

So, as I sit in anticipation of my mill arriving I've been trying to think of some things I may need, little things that I may not be thinking about. I know I will most likely need a cant hook but what else can you guys think of that have the experience? I have the simple stuff for safety(glasses, ear plugs, steel toes, gloves) and I have a few chainsaws with good blades. I'm just trying to get everything in order so when the mill gets here I can jump into cutting!

beenthere

A place (and means to move) log slabs, sawdust, and sawn lumber. Room for solid base to stack stickered lumber for drying within hours after sawing.
Assume your tractor has forks for moving things around. If not, plan on carrying a lot of wood.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Banjo picker

Figure out how you are going to clean the dirt off your logs.  at least where the band will enter the log.  Brushes, axe, hatchet, bark spud,  pressure washer or something.  I like having a pickaroon around as well.  If you don't have a cant hook yet, order you a logrite.  Can't imagine tryimg to cut without a cant hook.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

dukecrazy

yeah, the tractor is gonna be doing a lot of the heavy lifting for me and I have a good bit of property cleared for stacking and storing.  I've got axes, machetes, hatchets, and those nice things to use. I'll probably just use a broom for the brush work.

gww

dukec
QuoteSo, as I sit in anticipation of my mill arriving I've been trying to think of some things I may need, little things that I may not be thinking about. I know I will most likely need a cant hook but what else can you guys think of that have the experience? I have the simple stuff for safety(glasses, ear plugs, steel toes, gloves) and I have a few chainsaws with good blades. I'm just trying to get everything in order so when the mill gets here I can jump into cutting!

I find having a 2x2 about 5 foot long is great for sliding the log around on the mill.  I also have a small pump car/tractor type bottle jack for raising one side or the other of a log on the mill.  I also keep handy a few wedge shape peices of wood to put against the log to keep it setting in odd places and from rolling around on the mil.  I keep a 2 foot level to check squareness of my cuts every so often. 
I hope this helps
gwwl

Corley5

A leaf blower is great for cleaning off the machines at the end of the day  ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!