iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Too much food

Started by pineywoods, January 29, 2010, 07:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

I've been playing nursemaid for a bed ridden spouse. Barely got her home from hospital when next door neighbor shows up with a big pot of homemade vegggie soup. Yesterday, neighbor lady rings the door bell and hands me a big pot of chicken dumplings, green beans ,cornbread and a whole lemon pie. Today another one shows up with a big platter of smoked ribs, mashed 'taters, and jello salad. Besides, I'm still munching on a huge fruit basket we brought home from the hospital...All this plus lots of christmas goodies and I'll be needing to join weight watchers :(
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

fishpharmer

Did they have to do surgery on your wife?  Glad to hear she is home.

Piney, now that's some good neighbors you got there.  Good old southern hospitality.  Now if you need some of us to get over there this weekend and help you with an emergency situation, let us know ;) :D  That's what friends are for. ;D ;D

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WH_Conley

Pretty good road trip, but with with a menu like it is tempting. Aint nothing like chicken and dumplings made by an old woman, they are better at it.
Bill

LeeB

So there is really a silver lining in every cloud. Don't eat yourself down. Somebody has to take care of your lady love. Glad to hear she is home and hope for the best.

WH, old ladies ain't the only ones can make chicken and dumplins. Come on down and I'll fix you a pot full that would make your mamma proud.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WH_Conley

LeeB, the wife learned from the old people, they are good. Gee, how can I get a competition goin, and me be judge. ;D ;D

If I am ever down your way I will hold you to that.
Bill

Tom

Great Neighbors.  Eat what you can and freeze the rest.  It won't be long before there will be a night with no knock on the door.  That soup in the microwave will be a blessing.

I've got some neighbors like that and cherish them more than they will ever know.

pineywoods

Quote from: Tom on January 29, 2010, 09:25:49 PM
Great Neighbors.   

I've got some neighbors like that and cherish them more than they will ever know.

Tom, you sure got that right..And I have more of them than any man has any right to.. Even had one of my old high school teachers threaten to whup my tail if I don't let her come help me with the housework. I'm havin trouble consuming a whole lemon pie, but don't intend to let any of it ruin  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WH_Conley

I have faith in you Piny, to do the right thing. ;)
Bill

WDH

It would be a shame to let any of those groceries spoil, so you better eat them all up as soon as possible  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Norm

I think the neighbors are just repaying a good man for what he's done for them. :)

Now I'll have you know I make a mean chicken and dumplings myself. Mine are done in the oven with the lid removed towards the end so they get a little brown on the top. Oh boy this thread is not helping my diet any. :D

Burlkraft

I agree with Norm.

People do good things for good people. You're just good people Piney  ;)  ;)

I hope she is doing well and has a full recovery  :)  :)

Now let's talk about them dumplings  digin1 digin1

I have not had a good dumpling since my Grandma passed in the early 70's

Hers were the best. I consider myself a fair cook, and I have her recipe, but mine pale in comparison

I miss her and them dumplings  :-\ :-\ :-\
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Texas Ranger

Sue had both feet operated on three weeks ago, we are still munching on stuff friends and neighbors brought in, some home made and some store bought.  But y'all are right, good neighbors make things a little easier, now if I could just convince them that steaks are better than soup.  Oh well, I guess I will just have to make do with chicken and dumplings, so sad.  Or maybe that beef stew, no, where are those meat balls.

Human spirit is alive in neighbors, God bless them all.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Norm

Sorry to hear that TR, hope she gets to feeling better. :)

Steve the recipe I use is based off of Chicken&Dumplings

Get rid of the chives in the dumplings though. He calls for using organic chicken, luckily for us the store here doesn't sell the inorganic kind. :D

I collect old family recipes, if you ever get bored I'd love a copy of your Grandma's.

Magicman

Most Grandmas had recipes, but they really didn't use them.  That's why nothing beats Grandma's cooking...... food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Burlkraft

Quote from: Magicman on January 30, 2010, 10:27:38 AM
Most Grandmas had recipes, but they really didn't use them.  That's why nothing beats Grandma's cooking...... food6

I think ye right MM  I followed that one to a tee and it never works   :-\  :-\
Why not just 1 pain free day?

LeeB

My granny really wasn't that great of a cook but her buttermilk bisciuts were like eating a taste of air straight down from heaven. Light as silk and a taste that I have never been able to even get close to.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!