iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This SHOULD make you laugh

Started by LittleJohn, May 27, 2014, 10:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleJohn

So back on Mother's Day; we went to the nursery and picked up a truckload of stuff! Mainly 6 trees; 3 little pines, 2 apples (Honey Crisp & something else??) and a Maple tree.  Well planting went well and watering had been going good, UNTIL...

...the leaves started to bud out on the maple (?); or at least I thought -> I am about 95% certain now that its an OAK.  How could the nursery screw up that bad.  Guess I get to call them up and raise some hell. 

thecfarm

They should replace it for free and let you keep the oak too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Post a pic of the tree, if you would. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GAB

Question: Could some smart alec have switched the tags at the nursery for some fun?  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

LittleJohn

I dn't mind an OAK, other than in 20 years when I have to pick up ACORNs; but wife is rather upset she really wanted a maple.  Guess I let her call the Nursery (insert evil laugh)  :D

LET THE BATTLE BEGIN

LittleJohn

So here is a picture of the leaves

...so now big question, what type of oak do you think it is??

GAB

Quote from: LittleJohn on May 28, 2014, 08:36:13 AM
So here is a picture of the leaves

...so now big question, what type of oak do you think it is??

Because the ends of the lobes are not pointed I would say it is not a red oak.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Chuck White

It sure looks like a White Oak, but not sure what subspecies!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

That's what the ones in MO look like. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

Look for acorns and you can confirm it . Quercus macrocarpus has big acorns that are distinctive.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

I doubt that it has acorns as it is a baby.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

mesquite buckeye

Aggie_Forester

It looks like a swamp chestnut oak or a white oak. Its more than likely just a white oak.

Thank You Sponsors!