iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Paper wasps

Started by beenthere, July 26, 2012, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Just noticed a paper wasp nest being built in a yard tree about 6' off the ground. Snapped a pic today after noticing some amazing build progress in just a few hours. They can lay down material real fast. The entry hole at the bottom is about 3/4", and the nest about 7" diam.

I'll plan on taking another pic tomorrow to compare progress.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Paul_H

Can you get a inside pic?  :P
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doctorb

What's your next move?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

Running, if he get's too close.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cypressstump

Some guys I knew once found a nest such as that while fishing in a local bayou. It was fairly cold on a fall morning. Said the nest was empty cause they whacked it a couple times to make sure, nothing came out. Took the nest and part of the limb it was attached to , was going to hang it in the den. After fishing, they placed the nest in the truck back seat for the ride home. As the trucks' interior warmed up, so did the hornets, they can out in a tizzy, and commandeered the truck for a couple hours. After hearing the story, I would have loved to been able to have captured that on film.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Chuck White

Bees...... Just about the only thing that can make an old phart run!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sandhills

Chuck I had a cow that could to, she went to Burger King last week  ;D.

wdtik

Oh yea-- a Red Neck pinata--- :D
I can remember wacking a nest the size of a basketball
with a stick on a dare--- my misspent youth......roped a skunk the same summer
too.... then there were the buzzworms...

WH_Conley

I'm not sure we want to hear the rest. Yes we do. Tell us about the buzzworms.
Bill

thecfarm

Roped a skunk? I hope you kept him going in the right directions.  :D I might of thrown a few rocks at one before.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chain

We always called those "hornet's nests" , home of the 'bald-faced' hornet. A notoriously fierce wasp with bald yellow-black face, alien appearing to me.

clww

My neighbor had one of those nests in a small fruit tree near his garden this year. I sprayed it all down a week ago with wasp spray. The next morning, something had torn the nest all apart during the previous night.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

beenthere

Quote from: chain on July 29, 2012, 05:54:57 PM
We always called those "hornet's nests" , home of the 'bald-faced' hornet. A notoriously fierce wasp with bald yellow-black face, alien appearing to me.

I believe that you are right. I got a closer look at them today, and they are as you describe and as shown in some google work.
Here is a long video (I think maybe some repeating loops) but does show a very similar nest. A guy put a camera on a pole and then threw a rock at the nest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yVouNUGekc

Here is a pic today of the additional material built around the nest (at least another layer).

south central Wisconsin

chain

Looking at those devils just makes my skin crawl! :o

Back in the day, when kids had only slingshots to get in mischief with, when a hornet nest was found everyone would shoot a stone with their slingshot at the nest then run. It was always said that the one who ran straight and fastest away from the nest got nailed first. But... if you twisted and dodged, you also got nailed by more than one hornet. :D

Bumble bees are the very worst in stinging, I think.

Den Socling

I've never been stung by a bumble bee. They must not be very aggressive.

thurlow

Quote from: chain on July 29, 2012, 09:24:09 PM
It was always said that the one who ran straight and fastest away from the nest got nailed first. But... if you twisted and dodged, you also got nailed by more than one hornet. :D

Bumble bees are the very worst in stinging, I think.

My granddad usta say that you could shoot into a hornet's nest with a .22 rifle and they would track the flight of the bullet.....backwards....to sting you.   8)  When we used to clip several hundred acres of pasture each Summer with open station tractors,  you could be sure to mow over a nest or 3 of bumblebees;  I've had them follow me completely around a 10 acre pasture, but it seemed that the noise or constant motion would confuse them and if you didn't dodge or swing, they'd seldom sting.  I've been stung and bit by every stinging/biting insect in my part of the world;  very worst pain was a Hymenoptera wasp;  it HURT!!!! Next most painful was probably ground-nesting yellow jackets, followed by hornets, bumblebees and various other wasps and bees.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Cypressstump

as a little pup, I used to have my spoon and bucket close at hand at all times I guess.Digging in everything. My dad bought a bunch of fruit trees once, left them outside for a while. The burlaped root bundles seemed to be likely spots for me to burrow into. Until the yellowjackets came pouring out onto me. Some reason I don't remember much directly afterwards, my screams brought my Mom and oldest sister running. They swatted the things much as they could then got the water hose on me to finish washing them off. I swoll up like the Pillsbury Boy, but red with spots all over. I had over 80 stings they said. I firmly believe that is whats wrong with me today.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

beenthere

Another picture late today to show the progress in 24 hours. They completed the shell down to their entry, , nearly finished another, and have half completed yet another shell (layer) today. They are busy.

south central Wisconsin

doctorb

That video makes me want to either get rid of that nest, or never go near it again until January.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

mooleycow

keep the amonia bottle handy.  helps with the pain of stings, nothing else though.  benadryl and a bronchodialator may work until you get to the ER. 

Ron Scott

~Ron

beenthere

I'm still watching, and hoping I can keep from annoying this nest. So far, so good.
Another pic a short while ago shows yesterday's layer was finished down to the entry hole, another one nearly completed, and yet another started mostly on the upper back side.
Interesting that the entry hole is to the northwest. But when our northwest winds blow, they are prolly in hibernation. The nest won't stay around that long. I'm plotting its demise, and thinking the 12ga at about 10 yards would do the most damage. Shoot and run!!

south central Wisconsin

WDH

We definitely need something more exciting than that  :D.

Have you got any grenades  ??? ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

Wait till it freezes, you can out run them then.  8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!