iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Westernstar or Peterbuilt?????????

Started by Woodhauler, January 20, 2013, 04:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Having a hard time making up my mind!! 2 trucks in stock local, both with same specs.Been in a star for 8 years,nice truck.. The pete has a smaller cab like my old freightliners did. People tell me pete has a high trade/ resale value.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

snowstorm

starcar i dont buy the ....oh its a pete its worth more. looking at that pete of steves the inside looks like a chevy pickup

bushmechanic

I would go with the Pete over the Star just because the resale valve is top of the scale with the Pete not because there is any difference in the two trucks.What kind of engine/transmission set-up do they have?

Woodhauler

Quote from: snowstorm on January 20, 2013, 04:10:00 PM
starcar i dont buy the ....oh its a pete its worth more. looking at that pete of steves the inside looks like a chevy pickup
The inside is as good as my star, and its all ready for a loader and body. The star needs a tag, air tanks moved and a few other things done. The pete is small inside like my 96 freightliner was.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Woodhauler

Quote from: bushmechanic on January 20, 2013, 04:14:14 PM
I would go with the Pete over the Star just because the resale valve is top of the scale with the Pete not because there is any difference in the two trucks.What kind of engine/transmission set-up do they have?
18 speeds , hedrickson 46,000 pound haulmaxx,Same as my star has now. 550 cummins in both.292 in wheelbase on the pete,295 on the star!On the pete loader would be closer to the cab, the star would be like 5 inches father back cause of the stacks,and fuel tank.

snowstorm

who has the ws daigle or freightliner?

Autocar

Just curious why do they put the loader behind the cab ? Ive always pulled a pup trailer and the loader on the back works great.
Bill

Woodhauler

Bobus2003

I'd get the Pete.. I drive a '03 Pete 379 for heavy Haul and I love everything about it.. The interior, Dash Guages, Seats.. and the looks.. Plus around here, Petes out number any other make in the woods prolly 3-1.

Quote from: Autocar on January 20, 2013, 04:51:01 PM
Just curious why do they put the loader behind the cab ? Ive always pulled a pup trailer and the loader on the back works great.

Thats how all the trucks are setup here, loader at the rear, and a Pup

bushmechanic

As a mechanic I always liked the long nosed trucks like the 379 Pete's or the Kenworth W900 because they are a lot easier to work on.The absolute worst trucks are the International's cause over half the engine is in under the cab,hellish to work on.It's all about preference,if I had a choice myself it would be Kenworth. 

snowstorm

Quote from: Woodhauler on January 20, 2013, 05:34:47 PM
Quote from: snowstorm on January 20, 2013, 04:47:28 PM
Oconnors.
they gave billy a new mack to try for a month. tell them you want the same deal.

Woodhauler

Quote from: snowstorm on January 20, 2013, 05:51:07 PM
Oconnors.
they gave billy a new mack to try for a month. tell them you want the same deal.
Don't think that would fly.

snowstorm

snowstorm

Quote from: Woodhauler on January 20, 2013, 05:52:18 PM
Quote from: snowstorm on January 20, 2013, 05:51:07 PM
Oconnors.
Don't think that would fly.
my wife just wrote a check for 75 new freightliners   so i guess they werent to impressed with the mack

snowstorm

Quote from: snowstorm on January 20, 2013, 05:52:34 PM
anyone know who started peterbilt??
al peterman          pete and kw are bolth paccar along with daff from holland.

deastman

Snowstorm, who bought the 75 new Freightliners? Richard Carrier?
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

Woodhauler

Tree Killer

I always liked a Western Star,I hav'nt heard anything good about a pete in a while. I think that all the manufactuers arent what they use ta b.

Maine372

sounds like the pete is ready to go and the ws would need some modification. plus slightly shorter wheel base and the loader closer to the cab the pete should be marginally more nimble.

gotta vote for the peterbilt

which one has a steers tighter?

Woodhauler

Quote from: Tree Killer on January 20, 2013, 06:29:55 PM
I always liked a Western Star,I hav'nt heard anything good about a pete in a while. I think that all the manufactuers arent what they use ta b.
The salesman i bought my star from called yesturday and told me the pete was a heck of a deal! Imagine that from a competing dealership!

Tree Killer

Quote from: Woodhauler on January 20, 2013, 06:48:46 PM
The salesman i bought my star from called yesturday and told me the pete was a heck of a deal! Imagine that from a competing dealership!
ha thats always nice when they do that, ya wonder why they wont match it?

Woodhauler

Quote from: Tree Killer on January 20, 2013, 06:52:57 PM
They don't have a long wheelbase in stock and can't find one!

deastman

Got ya, figured out who Billy  was after i made the post, thats a lot of new trucks, never had a western star but i've had two peterbilts haulin wood and always had pretty good luck with them
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

Woodhauler

Quote from: deastman on January 20, 2013, 07:08:09 PM
Got ya, figured out who Billy  was after i made the post, thats a lot of new trucks, never had a western star but i've had two peterbilts haulin wood and always had pretty good luck with them
They must be up near 500 trucks now.

Tree Killer

Quote from: Woodhauler on January 20, 2013, 06:57:54 PM
Whats the wheelbase you run ? Have u tried looking on the internet? Truckpaper.com will let u search for any detail you want.

Woodhauler

Quote from: Tree Killer on January 20, 2013, 07:24:38 PM
Quote from: Woodhauler on January 20, 2013, 06:57:54 PM
Whats the wheelbase you run ? Have u tried looking on the internet? Truckpaper.com will let u search for any detail you want.
290 inch would be the shortest i would go. The pete is 292, the star is 295.

Tree Killer

That lenth wood make for a good self-loader for sure. I guess the Star dealer dos'ent want to sell a truck?  I don't understand dealers these days , they make it difficult to buy what u want.

Woodhauler

Quote from: Tree Killer on January 20, 2013, 08:01:02 PM
That lenth wood make for a good self-loader for sure. I guess the Star dealer dos'ent want to sell a truck?  I don't understand dealers these days , they make it difficult to buy what u want.
They want to sell but the one in augusta maine needs air tanks,air dryer,moved and tag axle put on. also when i looked at it today its atleast a foot taller ! I had a hard time reaching the hood to open it. The pete has a tag and needs nothing moved to mount my loader. Could have it on the road in 2 days. I have had 2 generals, 3 New freightliners and 1 new westernstar in my 30 years of trucking. My new plan is to trade every 3 years till i quit hauling wood. I am 50 now so i got a few trucks left in me.

CTL logger

I vote western star it's all I've ever owned they were originally built for the woods in Canada. The company that I work for has a bunch of newer Pete's the drivers hate them they're always broke one has 145000 miles the door hinges cracked on both doors dash fell on floor one day window won't work half the time and even the dealer can't figure why the a/c won't work. Star made for logging only truck still built by hand not on an assembly line.

Norm

I'm not a Peterbuilt fan but the name will get you a better resale value. They're a good semi but what turns we off about the Pete's is the same about Harley Davidson's....the name.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Bobus2003 on January 20, 2013, 05:37:48 PM

Nobody from Maine answered this yet. I'm still waiting to hear what they say. Meanwhile, here's one of the front-mounted loaders, still ticking forty years later and far from home. . . .

Since this picture was taken last year, we have built 8 steel stakes for it and done a lot of additional work to it. We use it quite a bit.

My guess about why this style of loader setup is used in Maine: 3 thoughts.

First, probably this is how the first ones were sold, and nobody in Maine likes to change their ways once they get used to something.

Secondly, the roads are barely passable by the truck, adding a pup could be very dangerous?  ???  And have you seen the crooked little muddy landings these fellows have to turn around on? The pup would get bogged down something awful.

Thirdly, a front-mounted loader lets logs of indeterminate length hang off the end. With a little red flag, of course.  ;D

Those may not be the real reasons, just guesses off the top of my head.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

treefarmer87

go with the peterbuilt, it doesn't need as much as the star. And the resale value is a big +. You have already had a western star, try a peterbuilt now. but its what you want woodhauler, and makes you happy ;) :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Woodhauler

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 21, 2013, 12:59:20 AM

Nobody from Maine answered this yet. I'm still waiting to hear what they say. Meanwhile, here's one of the front-mounted loaders, still ticking forty years later and far from home. . . .

Since this picture was taken last year, we have built 8 steel stakes for it and done a lot of additional work to it. We use it quite a bit.

My guess about why this style of loader setup is used in Maine: 3 thoughts.

First, probably this is how the first ones were sold, and nobody in Maine likes to change their ways once they get used to something.

Secondly, the roads are barely passable by the truck, adding a pup could be very dangerous?  ???  And have you seen the crooked little muddy landings these fellows have to turn around on? The pup would get bogged down something awful.

Thirdly, a front-mounted loader lets logs of indeterminate length hang off the end. With a little red flag, of course.  ;D

Those may not be the real reasons, just guesses off the top of my head.
Weight laws make a pup no good!

Woodhauler

I slept somewhat on it and i think i am going to stay with the westernstar if they can get it rweady for thursday noon time. That gives them 3.5 days to do it.

julio

i think you are doing the rite thing . Pete have always had wiring problem , and i would stay alway from cat engines
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

thecfarm

I have no idea about trucks, But I do want to see a picture of whatever you buy,please?? Loaded too?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lumberjack48

We never pulled a pup trailer, but we always mounted the loader on the back of the truck. You have so much more loading ability with out having to move the truck. The truck rides better when empty, better traction when empty.

Especially if your doing yard work, digging stumps, holes and ect, you have to have the loader mounted on the back. We put many septic tank systems in with our log truck, ditch work, put culverts in, endless use when mounted on the back.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

snowstorm

almost nobody mounts the loader on the back up here. pretty hard to haul tree length well 25 to 30' wood with it on back. 25 yrs ago a few had them on the rear and pulled a pup. i never could see where a pup was a good idea . if you need to haul more use a trailer and a center mount loader

loggah

My Brother has two triaxles ,an International, and a Freightliner,both have rearmount loaders. The reason is there in the tree service business, and they use them to feed their chippers and service their crane trucks.  He has a pup trailer for one of his trucks but hardly ever uses it.The rear mount is also real handy for many other things also like lumberjack said. If you are just plain logging a front mount will let you get more long wood on the truck. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Mark K

Pups are pretty much standard around here. The mill just bought two new KW's with the 550 cummins and rear mounted serco loaders with pups. No complaints so far. In good wood they can get 6500 ft on doyle scale. Theres a couple guys running hay wagon style pups here but they are a pain to get around. Usually end up skidding them around with the skidder to get them in the landing. Alot of landings cant get a tractor trailer in where a guy with a truck and pup will drop his pup on the road and short haul wood out. We're doing that on the job im on now.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Woodhauler

Westernstar it is! Bought it tonite! Its in my driveway as i type!!!!!!!!!!

Maine372

are you swapping the loader and bunks?

JDeere

Woodhauler,  Good Luck with the new W.Star. Remember we want some pictures when you can get to it.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

sawguy21

We gotta see this. :D Nothing like a new truck to gladden a man's heart. Here we don't see a lot of rear mount loaders except for specific applications. Too much weight behind the axles cuts payload. Also as snowstorm pointed out, can't haul tree length.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bobus2003

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 21, 2013, 12:59:20 AM

With the Pups we have, They are Split into 2 pieces and loaded on the truck to be unloaded at the landing, so its just a Long wheelbase truck that needs to be turned around... We get them in some tight places around here

Tree Killer

Quote from: Woodhauler on January 21, 2013, 06:43:33 PM
Westernstar it is! Bought it tonite! Its in my driveway as i type!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats on the new truck !! Can't wait to see sum pics.  What good is a name like peterbuilt when the truck is no good ?

Norm

Thank You Sponsors!