iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

converting a bulk tobacco kiln into a lumber kiln

Started by Bryce, February 14, 2010, 10:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Hi I'm looking to build a lumber kiln out of a used tobacco bulk kiln, Im wondering if anybody else has done this , and if they did some pointers they could pass on. We have these kilns very available here, they are well priced, and I beleive with a little elbow grease they might work well. Can anybody help? 8)

fishpharmer

Welcome to the forestry forum bryce.  I lived in SC for a spell.  There was lots of tobacco curing barns around, seems like they would work.  I am guessing your in the SE US if your talking about tobacco.  Do they grow it in other parts of the country?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Gary_C

Quote from: fishpharmer on February 15, 2010, 12:34:02 AM
  Do they grow it in other parts of the country?

Wisconsin and Minnesota for a few other places.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

beenthere

Welcome to the forestry forum.

Can you describe a tobacco bulk kiln for us? And a pic or two would be great too. (just need to set up your photo gallery and use the Java Uploader below this blue posting window to load them into your gallery)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Meadows Miller

Gday

And welcome to the forum Bryce  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) I could see how it could work Airflow will be your main issue and it would only be  sutable for low temp drying depending on the settup Abit more info on what the contruction matirial is and what sort of heat sorce your thinking of using  would be handy  Mate  ;)

P.s also whack down alittle more info Loc and age as its a handy thing to have upthere and and you wont get haseled for it then aswell  ;) :D :D ;D ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Bryce

Hi thanks for your responses, I live in southern Ontario, near Simcoe, we are part of the northern run of the carolina forest, Its also sandy and tobacco country here, we get hot humid summers being surrounded by the great lakes, very close to lake Erie. I will get more info on the tobacco kilns I'm talking about and some pictures I look forward to your responses and knowlege.
Thanks again
Bryce 8) 8) 8)

OneWithWood

Is Simcoe on or by Lake Simcoe?  When I was a young lad I spent a few summers at a the Columbus Boys Camp on Lake Simcoe.

A picture of a tobacco kiln would be very helpful as Beenthere noted.  Off the top of my head I think the issues may be how air-tight is the chamber and what is the insulation value of the walls, floor and ceiling.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

fishpharmer

I found a link with the type of curing barn I saw in South Carolina.  I would think they could be found cheap in the right area.  The tobacco industry in SC is a fraction of what it was before anti-tobacco lawsuits. 

http://bulktobac.com/bulk_cure.html

I spent a summer working for a tobacco farmer and helped load several of these type barns.   
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

scsmith42

Yes, it will work, but it's not ideal.  The problem comes from restrictions on loading/unloading the kiln, as well as the lack of space inside for the wood and the kiln unit.

Doable, but not the best option.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!