iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Rust Reaper success story

Started by scsmith42, September 11, 2006, 09:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

I must admit, I was a skeptic... but I trusted Captain (a big fan of RR) and bought some.

Yesterday I used it for the first time.

WOW!

My little dozer (JD550) is in the midst of a transmission rebuild (Powershift parts - OUCH!)

There are two brackets that support the back of the tranny.  Basically these things look like massive connecting rods.  Attachment bolts are 3/4".

Three of the four bolts were broken.  Two sheared off slightly below the mount, and one had the head of the bolt snapped off, but with 2" of bolt shaft protruding.

Washed them up in the parts washer, and then sprayed the threads with Rust Reaper.

Within an hour, the bolt with the protruding shaft was backed out using vice grips.  No heat, no hammering, no fuss - just unscrewed it.

The other two bolts backed out while using an endmill to drill out the broken bolts.  One was less than 10% drilled, the other about 50%.

Unbelievable.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Mike_P.

Glad that it worked for you.  One of the key differences with Rust Reaper compared with some of the others out there, WD-40, PB Blaster, etc. is the ability of our product to lubricate as well as penetrate. 

When those metal surfaces start to move against each other it really helps to have the lubricants and friction modifiers that we put into RR.

Thanks for the feedback.  I really appreciate it.

Mike

P.S. and thanks to Captain, also

Captain

beenthere

Felt I owed it FF sponsor Rust Reaper to pass on another success story.
The rear gate latch on my SUV started hanging up, and because it started after some body work, I returned to the body shop to check it out (mainly wanted to find out how to remove the door panels without destroying them). In the process, they determined the handle to the latch was worn/damaged and needed to be replaced. Cost estimated to be $171.  :o :o :o

I settled on ordering the handle and trying to replace it myself, and was shown how to remove the inside panels to get at the handle.
While waiting for the door handle to be shipped, I looked at it closer, and decided to try some Rust Reaper on the pivot points in the latch, as they looked a bit corroded. Within 5 minutes, the mechanism started working and the problem was cured. I called and cancelled the door handle (which wasn't the problem in the first place).
Here is a pic of the mechanism showing four joints that were fixed with a just few drops of Rust Reaper.    Thanks again Mike.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodmills1

I keep forgeting to reply but yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees the stuff really works... 8)
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Jeff

We had our own mechanical crisis this morning fixed with only one tool.  The third door on the Forestry Forum truck had been sticking. This morning, it wouldn't open. Finally with a yank I got it open.  I got out the rust reaper and gave it a couple of treatments, (precision squirts) opened and closed the door about 3 times and it now works better then it has in ages. It also fixed the wind noise. Apparently the latch had not been closing completely, and when the regular door was shutting it left just enough space for the wind noise to really become an annoyance.  Here I thought we were going to need a latch and new hinge pins and two squirts of the green stuff did the trick.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

brdmkr

No big success stories here, but I will say that I KEEP the little applicator filled and in the cab of my truck at all times.  It just plain works!
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Jeff B on September 03, 2007, 08:34:54 PM
The third door on the Forestry Forum truck had been sticking. This morning, it wouldn't open. Finally with a yank I got it open.  I got out the rust reaper and gave it a couple of treatments, (precision squirts) opened and closed the door about 3 times and it now works better then it has in ages.

I read this too quickly and didn't read the word truck after Forestry Forum. I was thinking someone had a heck of a mess on their keyboard after applying the Rust Reaper. :o ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Kevin

I never put Rust Reaper away, I just stepped in the back door tonight when my wife said the back hatch was making noise on her Jeep.
It was a quick fix with the Reaper.
Thanks Mike!

Onthesauk

Replaced a skid shoe on my big brush cutting mower a couple of days ago.  Bolts are down in the brush/wet grass/dirt, 12 years worth.  Soaked them good with Rust Reaper and they came right off.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Don_Papenburg

I have a complaint , The little green cap disapears if droped .   >:(
Two of mine are AWAL .  I can't carry the dispenser in my pocket any longer it has to be ina substantial supporting container.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Kevin

Heat shrink tubing might be a quick fix for that.
You could make one an inch long.

pineywoods

I think them little green caps take a drink of rust reaper and then run away. I tried a piece of plastic insulation off electrical wire, heat the end to seal it. DanG thing disappeared and took the dispenser with it  >:(
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Mike_P.

Thanks for the kind words regarding how Rust Reaper works.  It really likes those intersecting friction points.

That is an interesting point regarding the green tops and their tendency to walk off.  I lost a couple on my workbench recently.  That's undoubtedly a comment on the state of the bench, but they are easy to lose. 

The precision applicator tip has some real advantages, but in my shop where I need more volume, I generally use the trigger sprayer or the Sure Shot pneumatic applicator.  I keep a couple of precision applicators in my tool box, and the house where the small size and .012" ID tip are an advantage.

Would a four ounce bottle with an integrated stopper and cap, or a dispensing cap for the eight ounce bottle make any sense?  We could add something like that to our present lineup.  I'll talk to our bottle vendor and see what other options they might have. 

I appreciate all of this feedback.  Thanks, again.

Mike

pineywoods

Them precision applicators are just fine. don't mess with a good thing.  ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

DanG

The product itself is the greatest thing going!  I have no gripe whatsoever with the current array of application devices, either.  But, it might be good for business to explore whatever other methods someone might find useful.

I have never lost one of those little green caps.  I've worn out several of the applicator bottles, and have saved the caps in case I lost one.  I have a sackful of them.  I attribute this mainly to the fact that I am perfectly organized, and ALWAYS put everything back where it belongs when I finish with it.  Its tough, but I have to live with this "neatnik" affliction that I've been cursed with.  At least I ain't lost any of them little green caps. 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Paul_H

DanG,you got me laughing clear across the continent  :D :D 8)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

thecfarm

If it's not as big as my garage and it's in my garage I can lose it.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

CHARLIE

Mike, maybe a quick fix would be to change the color of the applicator lid from green to International Orange or Day Glow Yellow.  Those would be easier to see than green. Maybe your supplier has some bright colors.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

OneWithWood

A dispensing cap on the 8 ounce bottle would be a good thing.
Thanks for posting the dimension of that applicator.  Now I know what size wire to use to clean it out with.  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Mike_P.

Thanks for the responses and kind words.  Charlie, I'll take a look at a different color cap, which we could implement as we work through inventory.

OWW, a customer in Louisiana would remove a little bit of the dispensing tip on a grinder to "free it up".  He runs an alternator repair shop and was constantly getting grease, etc. in the tube.  You might consider that alternative if a cleaning wire doesn't work.

DanG, I've been thinking about that army of green tops lined up in your shop.  That's impressive!

Thanks, also for the reminder:  I won't mess with a good thing.

Mike

Thank You Sponsors!