iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Container storage shed question

Started by Larry, December 20, 2006, 01:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Thinking about buying two maybe three 40 foot containers.  Set em on concrete blocks ten feet apart.  Span a roof between the containers to create a covered alley.  Got a sloping site a little too steep for a conventional building of any size but with the containers I could step them down the slope.

I would use one or maybe two for KD lumber storage and keep one for general storage of my junk.

Plus if I keep the roof really simple think I can avoid any property taxes.

Containers I am looking at are 7 to 10 years old and guaranteed water tight.

Any pitfalls to look out for?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

TexasTimbers

Only thing I can think of is erosion control. You would want to plan for that before you plant the containers and not try to control it after the fact. Also know that if you are not attaching the roofs to the container tops, blowing rain is going to soak anything you store under them, and moderate winds will blow rain all the way through from one end to the other even if the sides are water tight.

Other than that, just whatever you do, never, ever, put three 40 foot storage containers side by side on a slope.  :o   :D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

bugmeist

If you're storing KD lumber you might want to think about cutting some vents to let air circulate when you want it to.

We use one at the hunt camp to store various things including a tractor.  Until we put some vents in the side, things were usually damp.  That may be a function of local climate but it's worth some consideration.
100 acres, Lucas 618, Universal Tractor w/loader, chainsaws, cant hooks and not enough time to play!
Fear is temporary...regret is forever.   www.bugshirt.com

scsmith42

Ditto the vent comment.

If at all possible, check them out before they are delivered.  IN particular, check the doors for corrosion and good seals.  This is usually one of the first places that they rust out.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Larry

The ones I'm looking at, commonly come with two vents.  Occasionally they have four vents.  I hope to be able to control humidity by regulating temperature with a small exhaust fan.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

TexasTimbers

Yeah but those vents are static Larry, which is probably okay but power vents you can control are better; and if they like mine very small round discs of almost no effect.

Smith, unless he goes to the distribution center he ain't gonna get to pick them. If you oreder them from a big company you won't get to talk to the driver until he is about to deliver the unit. If yoou order from an independent it is much better. You can talk to him before he goes and picks up your unit and tell him what is or isn't important to you; whether you want good seals/good paint//good floor and most importantly, DOORS THAT OPEN EASILY because if you don't specify this you can get one that the doors, or a door, is a nightmare to open; one of the reasons they take them out of service. Some have side doors too on the other end if you want one. Mine didn't because I didn't think to ask, but I cut one out and it super handy.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Larry

I plan on picking out the container myself.  If I can find a big nuff gooseneck trailer going to also bring it home.  According to the salesman a 40 footer weighs 8,500 pounds which shouldn't stress my F350 much.

Thanks for the door tips...I'll make sure to give them my undivided attention before buying.

scsmith42

Kevin,  - good points all.

Larry - good approach re picking it out yourself.  Kevin's comments re the venting is right on.  I have some hay and a lawn mower stored in a 45' high cube (9'6" inside height), with a box fan in front of a 12" cutout where one of the static vents was.

Last week I opened it up to get a round bale, and noticed that the ceiling was dripping from the moisture.

In addition to putting a good vent fan in, you will need to have an opening on the opposite ends so that air can get in. The other three static vents in mine don't flow enough to keep it from condensing up.

I think that you've got a great concept overall; ought to be a great shop area.  A friend of mine has something similar in Central Texas.  One comment re the wood - moving it all in from the end piece by piece can be a real pain (I have 50K board feet long-term stored in containers).   If you're going to be turning stock over frequently, you might want to think about cutting some large "garage" doors in the sides so that you can forklift entire piles in and out.

Good luck.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Larry

Got a 48'X102"X9'6" tall container dropped off yesterday.  First impression...they sure are big...they sure are ugly.  Delivery charge was only $100 but the driver couldn't put it where I wanted, as it was too steep.  Glad I had the Ford tractor, as I don't think one of those green ones could handle a 10,000-pound container. :D ;D :D ;D

Dad came out to supervise me getting it in position but left when it looked like I might roll it. ;D

So...I keep thinking about the ventilation...you guys think two turbines on top with a vent, say 12"X18" on each end would work?

ScottAR

I hate to point you somewhere else, but a feller on the tractor
boards did something exactly like your talking about.  He
put a roof over the space between two containers.  It's in the
projects section somewhere. 

www.tractorbynet.com/
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

rebocardo

If you can, set them on cement footers, so they are not directly on the ground.

Chain the doors open and don't enter the back with the doors just folded open. They can and will slam shut.

A door that opens from the inside at the farthest/front end is a good thing.

After washing it, coating the roof with a sealant is a good idea. Spraying the bottom with oil is too. If it is off the ground, you can spray the bottom with oil on  yearly basis.

Get a lock with an unexposed shackle so it is hard to cut off.

Thank You Sponsors!